The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Put my trailer on ebay. Listed the faults. Sold for less than £30.

Feedback for winning bidder not good - one of which buyer complained that trailer practically fell apart on way home.

I'll be surprised if this goes through.

Today, for the first time in almost exactly 40 years, I relived part of my childhood.

Yes, I rode a bicycle! OK it was only about half a mile but it is a start.

My friends left a selection of bikes here for the family when they visit, and as today is rather nice and I really need to get fitter, I dug out one of the mountain bikes. First thought was I do not remember this much effort being required, but then noticed 2 almost completely flat tyres. Added some air and away I went, my first time on a mountain bike (they had not been invented last time I was on a bike) and I hated it. Returned home and put it away, and looked at the others, 2 other MTBs and a ladies dutch bike. Decided to take out the Dutch bike, but having learnt my lesson, added air to the tyres before trying it. Much better, so I think over the next few days I will start using it and see how I get on.

I’ve also just got a bike having not ridden in anger for 12 years. Even that was just car park to train station.

The problem with MTBs is, on road, you can end up going up and down (on the suspension) as much as you go actually forward. I’ve only bought a cheapo £10 thing out of the village shop window, but if I can motivate myself I fancy a middle class Raleigh Chiltern or something.

Never will I be a MAMIL. (!)

The last time I rode a bike (apart from demonstrating my electric tricycle the day I sold it) was about twenty years ago, I used to have a mountain bike for going up and down my track to collect the post, one day I hit a rut coming back down and went arse over tip. When I came around and retrieved my post from a gorse bush, I picked up the bike wheeled it back down stuck it in the shed and never used it again. (Afterwards the post had to wait until I went past in the car)

What ever was inside this box stiff, so i opened it electrical contacte spray in it then dried and spray greased it and seems to of loosened up, but micro switch for poss alarm fell apart upon removal, so balls alarn still sounds...grr off to ebay i go

may of sourced one from yabe auction

I don't deny that the cracked up tyres need changing, but I don't think they're actually illegal though? Can't see the cords and there is meat on the tread.

I suspect they're quite old tyres. Probably part worns I bet.

Continuous 1.6mm of tread across the centre 3/4 of the tyre is the legal limit.  I would say those are probably illegal.

Been to Somerset and back in the 75 again, visiting my folks for the bank holiday. Once again it ran flawlessly, and this time the computer reckons it did 52.5mpg on the round trip - which my calculator reckons isn't far off, so not bad going really, although I was taking it fairly steady with the cruise set to 70. Traffic on the way back today wasn't as bad as expected - brief hold-up on the M4 for no apparent reason, and then the stupid bloody traffic lights they've now put in at the Mildenhall roundabout on the A11 slowed everything down for a few miles, but other than that it was fine. I do need to look into getting the aircon working again though - sitting in traffic in a car with no sunroof when it's 25o outside is not ideal.

Disappointing lack of interesting stuff on the roads too, given that it was a fairly warm bank holiday - saw a couple of cars on trailers (Mk2 Triumph 2000 and Bond Minicar), and an apparently broken down Commer PB camper on the opposite side of the A11, but that was about it apart from this beauty which came hooning past me on the M4:

post-190-0-59801900-1555971353_thumb.jpg

Lush.

I’ve also just got a bike having not ridden in anger for 12 years. Even that was just car park to train station.

The problem with MTBs is, on road, you can end up going up and down (on the suspension) as much as you go actually forward. I’ve only bought a cheapo £10 thing out of the village shop window, but if I can motivate myself I fancy a middle class Raleigh Chiltern or something.

Never will I be a MAMIL. (!)

The answer is hard tail.

The only bikes with properly set up rear suspension that won't sap loads of your energy when pedalling cost £CAR.

Outside the Lady Lever art gallery, port sunlight today. F018EE61-5EAA-407C-BDE6-08E4CCB18497.jpeg

Do love the Lady Lever- it was the site of my first date with Mrs_brownnova!

The date went well until I managed to drive us the wrong way down a one way road into oncoming traffic on the way home... however we laughed about it and we still laugh about it each time we’re passing that part of the Wirral!

Usually the most interesting vehicle I see parked there is whatever I have arrived in! Glad to see that something interesting was there today!

The plan..

Take the MG ZT up to the static caravan in Scotland for the Easter weekend.

Ten miles in and temperature gauge shoots up to maximum. Hmmmmm.

Oh well, got there and saved on petrol too.

First leg, M55 hard shoulder to Tebay, second leg Tebay to Dalbeattie.

Diagnosis? HGF. Pressurised cooling system expelling all coolant in spectacular fashion.

That's two cars in a month with HGF! Not had any in 30 years then two this month. post-5532-0-36435500-1556009762_thumb.png

^^ pretty sure buying up a large quantity of good quality k-series head gaskets that are available now would be a good idea. It'll make an excellent retirement income selling NOS HGs in 35 years time, when all that will be available then is crap quality repro parts.

That and ECU & lock sets for cars that inevitably have immobiliser failure or dead ECUs in the future and people want to keep things original.

Doesn't appear to have any mixing of fluids, just pressure in the cooling system. Internet wisdom suggests Steel Seal is worth a go in these situations. Nothing to lose (apart from the cost of a bottle of Steel Seal) says the Internet...

The ZT is still at the caravan, Mrs Beard went back for the Honda Accord after the breakdown on the M55. She drove it up and we came home in that.

Hopefully not... I was coincidentally and luckily looking at the dash when it overheated and switched off immediately, coasting onto the hard shoulder. The AA guy filled it up with plain water to pressure test the system and ran it for around a minute before diagnosis. No steam or smoking from the exhaust, just rapid pressure increase. The car hasn't been run since.

Is that rear and lower structure made entirely from filler?

Looking at the pinkish residue on the glass of the rear window I reckon its fibreglass. I'm not sure what major benefit is provided by the screws either.

As my Dad used to say (usually about shit that I was driving around in) "Put it this way - I wouldn't go far in it".