The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I'd have thought that they'd have used VW or Audi parts on these but I'm yet to buy a single shared item....

924s are VAG parts-bin specials. As one would expect, considering their development history.

944s are not, as Porsche re-engineered most parts to make them ever-so-slightly different and quite-a-lot more expensive.

Ordered the slave cylinder. £120 from Porsche but got one from the motor factors for £79, assuming its the correct one.

Still twice as much as a slave cylinder for any other car though, because Porsche.

I'd have thought that they'd have used VW or Audi parts on these but I'm yet to buy a single shared item....

I bought a master seal kit from Auto Doc in Europe for my 1989 944 for about £20 all in, this was much cheaper than the cylinders available in the UK.  Worked, too.

I think the 406 coupe needs a new MAF as it's seriously sluggish from start....I appreciate it's not meant to be lightening quick but it's worse than some of the leggy XUDs I've had. Takes ages for the turbo to wind up too, no doubt exacerbated by the slow speed from stand.

too many local runs?

924s are VAG parts-bin specials. As one would expect, considering their development history.

944s are not, as Porsche re-engineered most parts to make them ever-so-slightly different and quite-a-lot more expensive.

Sounds a bit like what Saab allegedly did with the GM-based stuff that was foisted upon them......

I'm glad I don't live in London I couldn't cope with idiots having protests bring place to a bastard stand still every 5 minutes

I live in an Orthodox Jewish district in that London. We don't get protests here. What we do get is the unique* style of driving and parking that is the preserve of Jewish mothers.

What's the difference between a Jewish mother and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

That sounds like bollocks to me, to be honest. I don’t believe that a bank would do that. PayPal is not some fly by night vendor they haven’t heard of.

Only reason I can see is insufficient funds/cover for funds, somewhere there shouldn't have been.

If it ever happens to my account, I'll do my best to place the cash in the aggrieved persons hand.

The door handles are the same as your old Audi 100, unless they say PORSCHE on them, in which case they cost £300/pair used.

I had a card cloned sometime ago,and had loads of micro-transactions put on it.

£1 here,99p there.All small enough to go un-noticed unless you actually went through your statement

After I spotted them and queried them with the card company,they had me go back a good few months to confirm all the transactions with the bank

Unless I could confirm the transactions individually then they put a block on it and then pursued it themselves.

Not saying that this is what has occurred here,but only 1 guy knows that for sure

I think the 406 coupe needs a new MAF as it's seriously sluggish from start....I appreciate it's not meant to be lightening quick but it's worse than some of the leggy XUDs I've had. Takes ages for the turbo to wind up too, no doubt exacerbated by the slow speed from stand.

Timed it (sort of) earlier and after 17 seconds it had hit 45! Fuck sake.

Following on from my recent breakdown at Tibshelf services.

After an hour waiting, I became aware of the signs threatening a £100 fine unless I coughed up £12 for XS parking, so I pottered in to WH Smith.

The woman very kindly told me that you don't have to pay if you've broken down. She turned to a screen and entered my numberplate...

F - pictures of a dozen vehicles appeared,

FM - now just three pictures...

FMM - and there's a pic of my old bus.

ANPR is terrifyingly clever.

An absolute cunt of a job on the mk3.

My TDDI of many problems had it's alternator let go in a cloud of smoke, i took one look it it was and the access points, said "fuck that" and phoned the scrap man.

It's a bastard the first time you do it, but the second time you can be in and out inside an hour- assuming the alternator placement on the diesels is similar to my V6. My alternator only needed a new reg, which was 30 quid. Replacing the brushes didn't work, hence having to do it twice.

After an hour waiting, I became aware of the signs threatening a £100 fine unless I coughed up £12 for XS parking, so I pottered in to WH Smith.

The woman very kindly told me that you don't have to pay if you've broken down. She turned to a screen and entered my numberplate...

Was also impressed by this when checking into a hotel at a service station, clever stuff.

Left home yesterday morning in the 150 quid Honda Jizz loaded with shite for France. About 100 miles in to the journey, I remembered that I had planned on checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, if it has a spare wheel etc the day before, but too late now! :-) Called to see a friend near Sheffield, crossed by tunnel early hours, stopped for a bit of kip and arrived here midday ish. Left Scotland at 4c, sunny and 21c here! Just opened a beer.

post-5203-0-53581500-1555504373_thumb.jpg

Done one balljoint on the Princess, easy peasy because SoC had been in there and loosened everything off.  Other side, not a chance, just ended up dragging myself across the floor trying to undo the ball joint.  Checked the alternator and got to the bottom of the unusual behaviour in that the alternator is picking whatever it feels like as a value so it looks like new alternator time.  I'm spending enough money at the moment it's like owning an executive German car.

You pay to leave the Whinlatter Pass visitor centre car park near Keswick with the same predictive reg number system. I visited there last year and on leaving I entered the 530d BMW reg.

T - 32 matches.

T1 - 1 match.

I seemed to be 1999 car there anyway....

Update on Rover 620 shenanigans

Well, as kinda anticipated my solid epoxy resin fix of the holed power steering pipe lasted 5 minutes into a highly illegal drive onto the local industrial estate and the car proceeded to leave a trail like a snail all the way home.

So, down to Pirtek on Monday morning - 20 minutes of quality workmanship and £57 wallet removal later, I left with a custom made pipe/hose, retaining just the end bits from my ruined pipe.

As the hose was a lot thicker than the original pipe, the rule of bodge was applied (removal of a protective cover which I'll cut chunks out of to get it back in) but no matter what I did, I couldn't get each end of the new pipe to line up without fluid pissing out everywhere. A shitefest.

It's taken me the last three nights after work to logically and calmly resolve this. No sooner had I stopped one side leaking (due to the new elbow joints put on by Pirtek) the other side started pissing out. It was like whack a mole, only wetter.

Anyway, the great news....I've only gone and fucking nailed it this evening. No leaks - another spin around the ind. est. and nothing - no wet patches, no snail trail, no drips. Done. Sorted.

Just the handbrake to re-adjust, a bloody good clean and wax, and it'll be ready for another attempt at the MoT lottery :)

Left home yesterday morning in the 150 quid Honda Jizz loaded with shite for France. About 100 miles in to the journey, I remembered that I had planned on checking fluid levels, tyre pressures, if it has a spare wheel etc the day before, but too late now! :-) Called to see a friend near Sheffield, crossed by tunnel early hours, stopped for a bit of kip and arrived here midday ish. Left Scotland at 4c, sunny and 21c here! Just opened a beer.

attachicon.gifIMG_35801.JPG

Did you wave at Bucketeer as you passed?