The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

More winning.  Solved the earth problem which was one loose eyelet in the boot.  The alternator is suspect though, it's providing plenty of volts but the dashboard ammeter and the way the car behaves suggest it's not providing enough amps.  Don't have the amp tester at home so we'll check this out tomorrow when I'll hopefully attempt to do the balljoints now I've got the massive socket I ordered.

Update.

Seems PP have decided in favour of the claimant.

The money has been taken back and Ive also been charged an extra £14 as a 'chargeback fee' on top of the original reclaim amount.

Hopefully something positive can come out of this mess and the dark wob frequenters can continue having a good laugh at the situation.

PP can of course fuck off and I'll be shutting my account.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190414_213334.jpg

Sorry to see that's the outcome. What a crap situation. It sums up my feelings about PayPal. You're robbed, no matter that you do. The fact David Gwynn/Problemhamster has the gall to continue to check in on here is surprising. What a complete sheister.

As for the sad members of the dark knob supposedly having a laugh - just ignore the twats.

The fact David Gwynn/Problemhamster has the gall to continue to check in on here is surprising. What a complete sheister.

From what Jim Bell has posted (at least twice) this was initiated by the bank/credit card company without Problemhamster's knowledge.  He has offered to re-imburse JB by other means.

More winning.  Solved the earth problem which was one loose eyelet in the boot.  The alternator is suspect though, it's providing plenty of volts but the dashboard ammeter and the way the car behaves suggest it's not providing enough amps.  Don't have the amp tester at home so we'll check this out tomorrow when I'll hopefully attempt to do the balljoints now I've got the massive socket I ordered.

surely if it was not able to supply enough amps the voltage would drop because of that?

volts multiplied by amps=wattage/power :)

From what Jim Bell has posted (at least twice) this was initiated by the bank/credit card company without Problemhamster's knowledge. He has offered to re-imburse JB by other means.

That sounds like bollocks to me, to be honest. I don’t believe that a bank would do that. PayPal is not some fly by night vendor they haven’t heard of.

LBB:  The volts don't really drop that much, certainly not any more than you might expect with everything on.  However, you can watch the ammeter falling fairly rapidly to the point that the car almost stalls out if you've got all the systems going, as you might on a dark rainy night.  So something is certainly off somewhere.  Battery seems in good health and I'm not suffering from the usual earth issues of dodgy/dim lights or sluggish starting so the only thing I can think it could be is the alternator having an issue and, given what the dashboard ammeter shows.  I don't really know, to be honest, so it's just a case of getting the testing tools out and trying once again to learn from what Mike tells me.  With everything turned on - headlights, mainbeam, sidelights, brake lights, indicators, blower fan on full, heated rear screen, fog lights, wipers - the voltage drops to 12-ish, but the car struggles to maintain idle and comes pretty close to stalling, while the ammeter needle goes perilously close to the stop on the empty side of charging.  Also, even when it drops to nearly stalling, the alternator light doesn't come on and the alternator appears to still be charging as it should, there just isn't enough electricity to go around.

Vulgalour - what alternator is currently fitted? IIRC these were only fitted with a 40A unit, which even at the time was only just man enough for the job. With your mods - different rear and additional lights, it could well be enough to tip a weakening alternator over the edge. Would a 1990's Mini unit fit - I think these are 50+ amps rated.

Don't rule out something else on the car being power hungry due to being worn out.

LBB:  The volts don't really drop that much, certainly not any more than you might expect with everything on.  However, you can watch the ammeter falling fairly rapidly to the point that the car almost stalls out if you've got all the systems going, as you might on a dark rainy night.  So something is certainly off somewhere.  Battery seems in good health and I'm not suffering from the usual earth issues of dodgy/dim lights or sluggish starting so the only thing I can think it could be is the alternator having an issue and, given what the dashboard ammeter shows.  I don't really know, to be honest, so it's just a case of getting the testing tools out and trying once again to learn from what Mike tells me.  With everything turned on - headlights, mainbeam, sidelights, brake lights, indicators, blower fan on full, heated rear screen, fog lights, wipers - the voltage drops to 12-ish, but the car struggles to maintain idle and comes pretty close to stalling, while the ammeter needle goes perilously close to the stop on the empty side of charging.  Also, even when it drops to nearly stalling, the alternator light doesn't come on and the alternator appears to still be charging as it should, there just isn't enough electricity to go around.

ahh 12V that sounds a bit low indeed, so sounds like voltage is indeed dropping, but id still expect current to increase as your turn various loads

IIRC a healthy alternator should put out about 14V

(going by what you said, when you say amp meter i pictured a classic amp meter, however it sounds like the car has something different to do with how much the battery is being charged? if so then it would make sense for the needle to fall, as more current is being used, less is available for charging the battery)

Ordered the slave cylinder. £120 from Porsche but got one from the motor factors for £79, assuming its the correct one.

Still twice as much as a slave cylinder for any other car though, because Porsche.

I'd have thought that they'd have used VW or Audi parts on these but I'm yet to buy a single shared item....

Also doesn't help with carb cars as on injection if everything on and alternator working over time the revs will drop that's when the idle control valve kicks in and raises idle slightly. On a low idle with everything on you will struggle to replenish what's been consumed. That was one of main issues with dynamos, on idle they bairly charge. Hope that helps, could just been down to a low output alternator

Alternator does seem to be the main suspect, having chatted to a couple of other friends about this.  I had forgotten that a while ago I had an issue with overcharging that went away before I could find the cause of it, then the alternator was normal for ages and I forgot all about it until now, when it seems to be undercharging.  I'll get a new one fitted when I can afford it, it's a fairly generic item and prices for them seems to range from about £40 to about £90, presumably on quality of manufacture?  I'll get a slightly beefier one if I can, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I think the 406 coupe needs a new MAF as it's seriously sluggish from start....I appreciate it's not meant to be lightening quick but it's worse than some of the leggy XUDs I've had. Takes ages for the turbo to wind up too, no doubt exacerbated by the slow speed from stand.

I'd have thought that they'd have used VW or Audi parts on these but I'm yet to buy a single shared item....

924s are VAG parts-bin specials. As one would expect, considering their development history.

944s are not, as Porsche re-engineered most parts to make them ever-so-slightly different and quite-a-lot more expensive.

Ordered the slave cylinder. £120 from Porsche but got one from the motor factors for £79, assuming its the correct one.

Still twice as much as a slave cylinder for any other car though, because Porsche.

I bought a master seal kit from Auto Doc in Europe for my 1989 944 for about £20 all in, this was much cheaper than the cylinders available in the UK.  Worked, too.

I think the 406 coupe needs a new MAF as it's seriously sluggish from start....I appreciate it's not meant to be lightening quick but it's worse than some of the leggy XUDs I've had. Takes ages for the turbo to wind up too, no doubt exacerbated by the slow speed from stand.

too many local runs?

924s are VAG parts-bin specials. As one would expect, considering their development history.

944s are not, as Porsche re-engineered most parts to make them ever-so-slightly different and quite-a-lot more expensive.

Sounds a bit like what Saab allegedly did with the GM-based stuff that was foisted upon them......

I'm glad I don't live in London I couldn't cope with idiots having protests bring place to a bastard stand still every 5 minutes

I live in an Orthodox Jewish district in that London. We don't get protests here. What we do get is the unique* style of driving and parking that is the preserve of Jewish mothers.

What's the difference between a Jewish mother and a terrorist? You can negotiate with a terrorist.

That sounds like bollocks to me, to be honest. I don’t believe that a bank would do that. PayPal is not some fly by night vendor they haven’t heard of.

Only reason I can see is insufficient funds/cover for funds, somewhere there shouldn't have been.

If it ever happens to my account, I'll do my best to place the cash in the aggrieved persons hand.

The door handles are the same as your old Audi 100, unless they say PORSCHE on them, in which case they cost £300/pair used.

I had a card cloned sometime ago,and had loads of micro-transactions put on it.

£1 here,99p there.All small enough to go un-noticed unless you actually went through your statement

After I spotted them and queried them with the card company,they had me go back a good few months to confirm all the transactions with the bank

Unless I could confirm the transactions individually then they put a block on it and then pursued it themselves.

Not saying that this is what has occurred here,but only 1 guy knows that for sure

Timed it (sort of) earlier and after 17 seconds it had hit 45! Fuck sake.

Following on from my recent breakdown at Tibshelf services.

After an hour waiting, I became aware of the signs threatening a £100 fine unless I coughed up £12 for XS parking, so I pottered in to WH Smith.

The woman very kindly told me that you don't have to pay if you've broken down. She turned to a screen and entered my numberplate...

F - pictures of a dozen vehicles appeared,

FM - now just three pictures...

FMM - and there's a pic of my old bus.

ANPR is terrifyingly clever.