The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That is really bad news about the loss of monies like that Jim Bell. PayPal has become harder and harder to use in terms of dishonest people using some form of complaint to get their money back fraudulently. The strange thing is despite all the times they “add security” it usually ends up with the honest party loosing money. I have this experience from eBay transactions.

I agrees with RobT as regards some sort of minimum number of posts to enter future roffles. Might be a good option.

That is really bad news about the loss of monies like that Jim Bell. PayPal has become harder and harder to use in terms of dishonest people using some form of complaint to get their money back fraudulently. The strange thing is despite all the times they “add security” it usually ends up with the honest party loosing money. I have this experience from eBay transactions.

I agrees with RobT as regards some sort of minimum number of posts to enter future roffles. Might be a good option.

"The customer is always right"

post-19977-0-25992200-1555322889_thumb.gif

Ebay is a bad, I sold a S class merc steering wheel to this dick in London, it sold for £5.50 and about 8 quid for postage and the prick opened a dispute saying it was marked, I put in advert used etc, ebay sided with him and gave him money back. There is some right dicks about

Ebay is a bad, I sold a S class merc steering wheel to this dick in London, it sold for £5.50 and about 8 quid for postage and the prick opened a dispute saying it was marked, I put in advert used etc, ebay sided with him and gave him money back. There is some right dicks about

That is why I just bin most stuff I have lying about.

The thought crosses my mind briefly that it might be useful to somebody, but the number of people on classified ad sites who are utter arseholes just ruin it.

The Carina is quite rotten. This has saddened me a bit as I like it, but the welding required is a bit on the sore side.

Today I went to scout out a potential replacement... which is out of test, needs four tyres, a stereo and... err... sills.

FUCK SAKE.

Reckon I'm still gonna buy it anyway. Fuck it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bought a stereo and priced sills today.

It's the small things, eh?

Pain meds taken, wrapped up warm, decided to tackle changing the alternator and auxillery belt, all wenr to plan, bloody fiddly loved another pair of hands, but struggled on, stupidly id forgotten to order a new tensioner so had to ring round to get one of the shelf, ecp wanted 100+ and order in when another was £68 and avaliable.. about 3 odd hours to do. Now lunchtime and more meds...

post-4824-0-95332700-1555333481_thumb.jpeg

post-4824-0-89660100-1555333673_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-19061700-1555333703_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-01402700-1555333747_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-40529300-1555333780_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-76928800-1555333808_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-45310200-1555333827_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-56971200-1555334769_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-07341500-1555334793_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-46758500-1555334841_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-89194300-1555334863_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry about Jim's situation, I genuinely am. I also don't like PayPal's almost monopoly (yes I know there are other providers as mentioned above) - lets call it an Oligopoly...but 99% of PayPal transactions work well and facilitate moving money around like just wasn't possible 20 years ago.

Next time I do a roffle, I'll stick with PP.

I think Rob's suggestion about post count (I'd add a certain time period as well - as you can easily power post to any given total) is wise and useful extra terms we could all apply.

Balljoints - requires 45mm socket.  I don't have a 45mm socket.  No local shops stock a 45mm socket.  Ordered one from the local parts shop who can get it next day and it was predictably expensive because, presumably, nobody wants 45mm sockets.

Brake calipers - Simple case of stripping and rebuilding so I can get them on the car.  Problem the 1 is that I hadn't bought new brake pad shim/spacer/anti rattle things so I've had to order those.  Problem the B is that only 1 pot is willing to come out on each caliper, so I may have to dismantle the ones on the car to rebuild rather than the spares.  We're going to attempt to use the Hydragas dalek with a male-to-male adaptor since it can put out more pressure than the puny little compressor at our disposal, allowing us to get a decent seal with a fitting that screws into the hose input holes on the caliper.  In theory, this is a sound idea.

Spare Hubs - CBA.  Just... they're not exactly difficult to strip down to the useful components so I can scrap the worn out stuff, I just CBA.

Steering column bush - ordered a couple of new ones, but they haven't arrived yet.  Amazingly, this is a very easy part to acquire, and cheap too!

This is why you're poor.

This is why I'm poor.

This is why we're poor.

Amen.

I'm not as poor as I was due to a deid auntie but even at that upgrading from one rotten shitheap to another rotten shitheap is exactly what... well... you and I would both do, clearly.

Pain meds taken, wrapped up warm, decided to tackle changing the alternator and auxillery belt, all wenr to plan, bloody fiddly loved another pair of hands, but struggled on....

CX alternator not looking too clever, and not much space for removal / refit. Think I'll delegate that job to someone else....

Have posted in the shitely delivery thread but will drop it in here too.

I have to deliver a vehicle to Knock, West Ireland in about two weeks time. I am happy to drive anything back that someone wants as long as I can get to it easily enough and costs are covered.

Particularly if it’s a Toyoda Starlet etc.

Just come back from a nice drive down to the Haynes Motor Museum with my mate. Nice drive down and a great museum.

0f18473585abdc2ccc36abfa2dc618f5.jpg

Day only slightly spoilt when petrol spilt out of the nozzle all over the front wing, when putting it in to fill up. Washed down as quickly with I could with some Evian (all I had). I must have looked like a right typical middle class Porsche owner...

Or this:

joey-porsche.jpg

They should.

Moving on, perhaps some sort of rule needs to be imposed about folk needing x amount of posts/time on forum/reputation to enter a roffle?

Not a foolproof way of stopping it happen again, but should help limit the chance of non regular contributors fucking over those in the community?

I was going to suggest this. Minimum amount of posts or vouched for by another member to participate in roffles. Shite it might have to go that way but meh, fuck losing out

Have posted in the shitely delivery thread but will drop it in here too. I have to deliver a vehicle to Knock, West Ireland in about two weeks time. I am happy to drive anything back that someone wants as long as I can get to it easily enough and costs are covered. Particularly if it’s a Toyoda Starlet etc.

Perhaps the trick is to find something that is taxed to the hilt in Eire, priced low, and therefore more valuable back here...?

Spent the day cleaning up the house in prep of the other half coming over. First time she'll have been abroad, let alone to Scotland. Oh boy she's not* going to get confused by the accents here...

On top of that, I got round to buffing the worst parts of rust on the Golf. Buffed down then applied Aqua Steel. Blends in nicely with the car's colour. Next will be going to work and fitting new front discs and pads. Also to apply some paint, as we have a very nice shade of dark blue which will work nicely to cover up some small marks.