The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Shift at worked changed to a 6 to 3, so had idle time after work, so watched grand tour about ford funeral with ford mondeo etc, that done decided id play with some shiney tape on tinted rear lights..

Unsure about it..

I quite like the contrast.

Workmate casually dropped into conversation this afternoon that he has a mate who has too many cars and may be looking to shift on a B reg Ford Granada in fetching silver and black and a Mk2 Golf GTI which both 'need stuff doing'

Asked him why he was still working and to find out more info asap. Will post up any info as I get it.

Meanwhile, rushed home from work as my plan earlier this week of making the Streetshite presentable for Longbridge had failed miserably. Quick wash and Fast wax and it positively glimmers. I think. It was dark when I finished.

Has anyone heard from Barmatt since this morning? :?

Yeah all is good here mate. Didn't bother doing a collection thread, don't know why just cba. 

I've been back home for a few hours with collected motor and all went to plan. Thanks for the concern, I'll do a little update when I'm not so knackered. 

I was fortunate enough to find today’s apres work time free from further responsibilities so set to doing what needed doing several months ago, rectify the blowing exhaust of my LS400. (due to the pleasing burble it has been emitting, sorting said problem has been easy to overlook)

I knew the blow was coming from between flanges (©️Mills & Boon) so the plan was to chop off all rotten flanges and replace with fresh ones.

post-7430-0-75968300-1555101328_thumb.jpeg

The lorry yard next door to my work let me use their lifts and we were on.

post-7430-0-12693800-1555101414_thumb.jpeg

Night vision activated, source of blow located. I’m sure me telling you the other side was just as bad is actually more enlightening than another of my dire photos.

Whilst the car was aloft I did some measuring and some machine operating, the result of which is this:

post-7430-0-23798600-1555101657_thumb.jpeg

Next job was to chop the gout out of my exhaust, which was an awkward but not unachievable task.

post-7430-0-90875300-1555101768_thumb.jpeg

post-7430-0-47837900-1555101816_thumb.jpeg

Luckily there’s a stabilising(?) bracket that ties in to the catalytic converter flange so locating the replacement pieces was eased considerably. I also utilised a 5 gallon drum and a broom to hold the rest of the exhaust in place.

post-7430-0-37749400-1555101925_thumb.jpeg

post-7430-0-14616200-1555102034_thumb.jpeg

All flanges replaced.

post-7430-0-95305000-1555102118_thumb.jpeg

There are no photographs of the reassembled system as my phone had ceased to be alive by that point, but happily everything bolted back together and my drive home was a substantial bit quieter than my drive in.

TL:DR. I’m shit at picturing and worser at righting.

Popped down to the West Country, to collect this

post-758-0-21838800-1555139777_thumb.jpeg

Garaged since 94 (25 years) when it had “ an engine rebuild”. Not run since....

However, rust free, so alls good. Square tyres made for interesting towing!

Sadly, this happened on the way down, when a pallet of hardbacks fell off the transporter

post-758-0-05961800-1555139791_thumb.jpeg

And bounced off the bonnet, showering me with books through the open sunroof.

Quite exciting! Anyway, I bent the banana’d bonnet clear of the engine, and it’s strapped till it’s replacememt arrives from Italy. It’ll need a new screen, and the dents in the roof sorting - but no one died. Sadly, the miscreant didn’t stop....

C’est la vie

Really need to get a replacement van now. This last week have been using the Merc to deliver things and pick stuff up, and a 3.7 litre petrol engine isn't quite as cheap to run as a 2.0 diesel that's on free fuel still.

Popped down to the West Country, to collect this

attachicon.gif87B79357-CB50-4540-A567-852468DB09A3.jpeg

Garaged since 94 (25 years) when it had “ an engine rebuild”. Not run since....

However, rust free, so alls good. Square tyres made for interesting towing!

Sadly, this happened on the way down, when a pallet of hardbacks fell off the transporter

attachicon.gif79AFCC1F-15EB-49D1-8A3A-4A6477C1D8A0.jpeg

And bounced off the bonnet, showering me with books through the open sunroof.

Quite exciting! Anyway, I bent the banana’d bonnet clear of the engine, and it’s strapped till it’s replacememt arrives from Italy. It’ll need a new screen, and the dents in the roof sorting - but no one died. Sadly, the miscreant didn’t stop....

C’est la vie

as mentioned like for the trabant!

I hope we hear more of it in the coming days/months/years/etc :)

if only there was someone else rebuilding the engine in their trabant for you to get help with yours... 

:mrgreen:

Wow, eventful day then Nigel! any good reads to make up for it?

Poor Marea looks to have taken it well/been expertly panel beaten back into shape. Were the tyres on the Trabbi Stomils for the full house of shite purchasing?

The Trabbie is a rarity. A low mileage car bought in East Germany, driven here by the Eastern owner for a long holiday, ( when the wall came down) & sold to the gent I bought it from, then flew home. My seller used it as an everyday till it seized/ nipped up. Had it rebuilt but went no further -‘ read’couldn’t get it running. They can be a bugger after a rebuild.

I’m imported Trabs in the 90’s wholesale, so it holds no fears. Very few moving parts and if I have to swop the lump out, it’s about 20 mins and 2 spanner’s, each way. Gut feeling is the electronic ignition failing, causing a potential lean burn, and stopping it now.

However, I’ll not be trying till I’ve stripped/ cleaned the whole fuel system, & checked for a spark on some new plugs. Then the steering ( which feels to have seized) & brakes, undoubtedly.

Kinda hope one of the kids will do it, under supervision, cos I’m not yet capable of lengthy lean overs. We’ll see. It is immaculate - no rust anywhere, certainly not in any of the usual places- which is what I really wanted.

The Marea is ex Bramz, ( for those who recgonise it) and a pretty good small/ midsize tow truck. It’s a good mile eater, comfy, quiet, economical,& actually, seems to do it better than my diesel Marea weekend.

I’ve kept it boggers, save for getting bigger rims cos these tyres are rubbis& too small.

I’ve a replacement bonnet coming from Italy ( hopefully the same colour!), screen on order, dents in the roof? Maybe.

I guess I was lucky. I saw it coming, braked hard,and swerved so the actual pallet bounced off the bonnet and hit the centre of the screen. It had been lined up with the drivers seat. The flood of hardbacks through the roof was a bit of a surprise, though,!

Anyway, it’s a tough old bird, it did it’s job and I’ll straighten it out, inc the o/s/r dent it collected whilst parked. I like it. It’s bland enough for sillies.

Just been and picked up a guild dual action polisher for a bargain 33 quid from Argos. Reviews are really good and hopefully it will be less likely to burn through the paint than the standard type one I already have. Now just need to get some fine cutting paste to try it with.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8647300?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:596310901|agid:28593974845|tid:aud-637918675102:pla-620321054361|crid:95879993965|nw:g|rnd:15783640473087360644|dvc:m|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:1006656&gclid=CjwKCAjwkcblBRB_EiwAFmfyy5OKn0AQwArNSpjRhiKdqeZHEFxpQyXrSm9MOfKAl5piwq5fOMKc3xoCGa8QAvD_BwE