The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I got there pretty late and missed most of the ones in your photos (reckon I also saw your 740 going the other way when I was going in). Nice trip out, but a shame it was so overcast.

A few photos of some of my highlights too. Starting with this lovely 480

post-20228-0-02295500-1554585225_thumb.jpg

Monza GSE

post-20228-0-42632100-1554585267_thumb.jpg

5.9 litre Dodge Ram. Braver person than me to drive it on the narrow roads down to Shotley.

post-20228-0-32896800-1554585367_thumb.jpg

P71 Interceptor

post-20228-0-67509600-1554585441_thumb.jpg

Granada duo

post-20228-0-67852200-1554585531_thumb.jpg

post-20228-0-65803700-1554585563_thumb.jpg

Along with a few other Fords in attendance

post-20228-0-24799800-1554585617_thumb.jpg

post-20228-0-36881100-1554585649_thumb.jpg

post-20228-0-00898600-1554585664_thumb.jpg

Vauxhalls too

post-20228-0-50098400-1554585703_thumb.jpgpost-20228-0-22811300-1554585731_thumb.jpg

Long wheelbase XJ

post-20228-0-48292400-1554585801_thumb.jpg

And this 7 seat Saab 95 (possibly my favourite from the show)

post-20228-0-92336500-1554585836_thumb.jpg

Ah, that's logical* then

Thanks for the tip.

I don't think so.  The square nut is threaded and the 'bearing' washer stops the bolt from passing through the loop.  Turning the bolt clockwise increases the distance between nut and washer, thus tightening the clamp.  Undoing the bolt (anticlockwise) will do the opposite i.e. loosening is conventional unless some clever dick (mailnly dick) has put left hand threads on the bolts.

The Renault 6 is spending its first night outside in years.  I extricated it from the garage this afternoon (the car itself started fine with a jump, as it always does, but picking my way through the assorted mopeds / pushbikes / random body panels which clutter up my garage was a bit awkward).  It needed a tyre pumping up and the offside front brake caliper was a bit sticky (as it often is when the car hasn't been used), but everything else is still fine apart from the fact that the lever for the heater valve appears to have seized - not normally an issue as I don't drive it in winter but there was a bit of a nip in the air this evening so would have been nice to have some warmth.

The forecast looks a bit better tomorrow so I'm going to have a day on fettling the old crate.  I've stuck the Innocenti in the garage for now - it's wider than the 6 but so much shorter that I can fit the mopeds back in with room to spare, and backing it in meant I could get out of the driver's door - to get into the Renault when it's in the garage I have to clamber in through the boot, which is a little undignified.  So the 6 can stay outside for a while, which hopefully means I'll get more done on it, as I can just nip out if I have the odd 15 minutes free, rather than having to spend half an hour playing live-action Tetris before I can get to it.

At least it didn't need runflats. They are £180 each in that size!!

Nobody NEEDS Runflats.

IIRC & IANTOMA* if you have Runflats you NEED a working tyre pressure monitoring . But if you have a working tyre pressure monitoring system you dont NEED runflats.

*If I am not t as talking outa my arse. TM

I don't think so. The square nut is threaded and the 'bearing' washer stops the bolt from passing through the loop. Turning the bolt clockwise increases the distance between nut and washer, thus tightening the clamp. Undoing the bolt (anticlockwise) will do the opposite i.e. loosening is conventional unless some clever dick (mailnly dick) has put left hand threads on the bolts.

Err. Yes, that's what I meant. Think of it being a normal hose clip you would open by squeezing the two ends together

Round 992 of 'let's get the 620 thru an MoT'

After yesterday's staggering discovery I'd been working on the assumption the leak to the power steering was from the high pressure line, wrongly, today it was time to get the offending section of pipe off.

Remember this shitehawk ?

post-20951-0-84050800-1554652998_thumb.jpg

Gotcha

post-20951-0-08067600-1554653021_thumb.jpg

(it was anti-clockwise, then a lot of faffing about)

So finally, I had this (cue loud primeval roar down the street on a Sunday afternoon)

post-20951-0-33729800-1554653071_thumb.jpg

And there's but one hole (confirmed by dunking)

post-20951-0-77056700-1554653102_thumb.jpg

All my previous JB Weld/Araldite dropped off nicely, which confirms I'd bodged badly.

Now the pipe's off I can go to town and prep it properly, and dryly, and take my time.

I'm confident* I'll be able to fix this nicely....

I can't see me getting under the 620 until next weekend to refix everything (will no doubt be an all dayer), but there's a slim possibility this car could be road legal in time for Easter.

Met shiter Broadsword today to collect some BX stuff and ended up going home with a BONUS in the form of a parcel shelf that's way better than the one in my BX.  Also got to admire his Jag, which is simply oozing potential (slightly jealous, given how not-rusty it is), and the little Lupo which is one of my favourite 'moderns'.  Was interesting seeing the differences between the two Range Rovers too, one being Broadsword's, and the other being Mike_Knight's.  Didn't take the Princess as I didn't feel like I should trust the grumbling wheel bearing for the 120 mile round trip, just in case, I had hoped the replacement I'd ordered would have been here by now so I could have fixed it in time, sadly no dice.

Pleasure to meet you Vulgalour, and yes indeed it was useful to compare P38s. It was a good Autoshite weekend at Broadsword central. Got some good XJS tinkering done, and in addition to Vulgalour it was a pleasure to meet Exiled_Tat_Gathered who collected the turquoise XJR6. With that gone there are now only two Jags around, and it's the first time there are no blower Jags around since the autumn. I miss the XJR6 already, picture below of me saying goodbye to it. My new mission is to find one with a manual gearbox. This week's bonus content is a Buick Park Avenue spotted at UPullit York.

post-20621-0-81991800-1554662315_thumb.jpg

post-20621-0-03339300-1554662491_thumb.jpg

Well I didn't get quite as much done on the Renault 6 today as I'd been hoping, partly because it took me fugging ages to get my sorry arse in gear this morning, and partly because I decided to have a look at the stuck heater - there's a big black metal cover which runs the whole length of the bulkhead / scuttle panel under the bonnet, and the two heater hoses disappear behind it, one at each end, so I reckoned the valve had to be in there.  I undid the eight 10mm bolts holding the panel on, but it wouldn't budge.  Yup, there were two more bolts, hidden away right behind the engine and almost impossible to get to (this car is definitely French).  It took me about half an hour just to get those two bolts undone, whilst getting my hands scratched to feck by various pointy bits of metal in the engine bay.

Eventually I got the cover to come away from the bulkhead, but I couldn't get it all the way out without disconnecting the choke cable which also runs through it, and I couldn't be arsed with that, so I got out my illuminated mirror-on-a-stick and used that to have a look behind the panel.  The heater valve is in there alright, but from the front it's just a lump of brass - nothing to get hold of with a spanner or screwdriver to lever it open.  So it looks like if I want to get the heater working I'm going to have to remove the valve completely, which I really can't be arsed with at the moment.

I had a tin of paint in the shed which was more or less a match for the Renault, so I got that out intending to do some touch-ups, but it'd gone lumpy and horrible so I didn't get much done.  I'll pick up another tin tomorrow on the way home from work - they're only 99p but cover surprisingly well.  I did have a major clear-out of the interior, for the first time in probably 10 years, and ended up with a decent sackful of rubbish.  I also found the locking wheel nut key for the Toyota, which I'd spent hours looking for last year before giving up and buying a set of nut removers.  Lord knows what it was doing in the Renault.  I also found an unused set of spark plugs, which is odd because I distinctly remember changing the plugs about 5 years ago so not sure where these ones have come from - they're definitely not the old ones, I remember those being manky as feck.

I took it for a slightly longer drive and the brakes are definitely improving - under gentle braking they now don't stick on at all, they only bind when I brake hard, and then a couple of good twats on the caliper with a rubber mallet frees it off.  I should probably remove the caliper and grease everything up, but I couldn't get it off as I couldn't get the pads past the lip on the disc - I'm probably going to have to get the angle grinder out and grind the lip off, but that will be a job for another day.

I had a tin of paint in the shed which was more or less a match for the Renault, so I got that out intending to do some touch-ups, but it'd gone lumpy and horrible so I didn't get much done. I'll pick up another tin tomorrow on the way home from work - they're only 99p but cover surprisingly well.

You aren't supposed to use Dulux tester pots to touch up your car.

Puma 'Black' back from garage, the gear lever was moving when putting into 5th or reverse, which was a pain. It was a loose bolt or something on the selector, now fixed (FOC) so did the usual by giving it a tenner's worth of Shell's finest and a light Italian tune up on the bypass.

Will be heading for a 'For sale' thread anytime soon.

Weekend in a nutshell - as also noted elsewhere………..

FRI 5pm - EUROSTAR bitches…….

Fri 6.30pm - Euston to Glasgow...……

Glasgow achieved - an on to Helensburgh for 00.40(ish)

Golf found, key extracted and rolled off into the night……..

Noticed dim headlights the minute I left he gloriously illuminated M74 Glasgow section………. hmmmmmmmmmmm

02.30ish - rolled off without lights and a full house on dashboard bingo - M74 A72 Lanark junction. 10m from there - under a lovely streetlight and next t oa shed with NOT HERE (building project blocked by locals) I made het call(s) of shame.

03.40 - flatbed - FUUUUCK

05.40 - Flatbed driver dropped me at Motherwell

06.20 - CHOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOO - off to York - Joshua of XJR6 and XJS fame notified. L1 notified I was screwed for his place but would wave on the way past.

0945 - YORK

10.30ish - XJR6 retrieved from farm parking and off to pez shot - glad-to-be-shot-finally

lots of shopping and general feeding and chilling the fuck out

17.00 - Ferry port - nae bother

Sun 09.40 - Zeebrugge...…..

11.30 HOME - after a lot of speeding and general wonderment at the sheer brilliance that is the munchkins favourite car of all I own.

IT FUCKING ROCKS!

Pleasure to meet Joshua - drool over the XJS project that will be a stunner when all together as intended and generally talk waffle type life stuff. A true gentleman of Jaguar taste handing the keys over to a Northern hooligan and probably regretting it :-D

Bit of a false start with the Golf, but that is why everyone should have options! XJR now in the works car park and receiving many many compliments. They already know - if it's weird, old or fucked - it's mine! I've settled here I think…………

Puma 'Black' back from garage, the gear lever was moving when putting into 5th or reverse, which was a pain. It was a loose bolt or something on the selector, now fixed (FOC) so did the usual by giving it a tenner's worth of Shell's finest and a light Italian tune up on the bypass.

Will be heading for a 'For sale' thread anytime soon.

Send me details by pm

Today has seen my annual rage at the price of our insurance renewal (Multicar with the sailor bloke, on my Clio & the OH's Mini). Will be making my annual indignant phone call tomorrow to tell them where to get off, having already found a quote for more than £200 less. 

Usually they match it without question, not sure I can be bothered to stay this time though. Horrible to think how many people must fall into the auto-renewal trap every year. Wonder what would happen to the industry if everyone without fail shopped around and took the lowest quote offered. Can't imagine the results would be pretty.

I fell into that trap with aviva for a few years. Was only a fiver extra, then only a tenner, then £20 etc until 2 years ago I went fuck it and got Amy insured with a 'not sexist at all' women's insurer and me with zenith! Then moved Amy onto Debenhams 2 years ago, who then increased the premium by 40p this year so we just renewed it, and I jumped ship to someone who would insure the zx and handily got my insurance down despite having an extra sp30 this time.

Its all a bloody game