The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Goes outside, looks at a MG....

Yeah, OK. I need this princess collecting first or I won't have space for it but yeah.

Second Place delivery services available.

I'm going to Wynyard tomorrow anyway.

Looking at an car tonight, and was thinking how it'd have to be in the street until the 316 is gone. My dad reckoned that if i parked my cars in the driveway nose to ass, id fit another car at the end without sticking into the street. He was right. 

Abarth at the front, nose up close to the garage (Sorry Morris, blocked in now!), the LS behind that then the 316. The LS being looooong car means it'll be a tight fit but an E36 or Mk1 Focus sized car would fit. 

Handy, as don't fancy parking a car in the street as I'm sure one or two of the folk at the top end of the street where I am (Cul de Sac) hate me for the cars to people ratio I have of 4 - 1. 

Are those GB badges legal (as in, do they serve the right purpose in the EU)?

Yes, well I’ve never been stopped any of my CXs or the Fiat which wears the same pair. The merc also has EU GB on the rear numberplate but I’m thinking of getting age appropriate ones. Also eu style gb ones may not be valid weirdly. I’m past caring!

I popped my Fleabay bidding cherry yesterday. Bought stuff bin

but never bid.

One bid and got myself a black cowskin Lazy Bastard recliner. £20.

Picking it up tomorrow. Hope it will fit in a 305 van, if not it's on the roof.

If it's a recliner chair the back is normally held on with a couple spring clips.

0925_recliner_back_installation_unlock.j

Farewell brave solja WBAC will look after you now. £250 cash back for the CRV is a result in my book and saves me from gumtree mouth breathers and time wasters. After 48,000 miles in my six years of ownership with no major FTP's I'm calling it the best £2k I've ever spent on a car. A new job and longer commute meant that 25mpg could no longer be suffered plus after many years of neglect and 185K miles everything was worn out so the next MOT in 4 months was going to cost £££. Time to move on.

Have one last picture of happier days when I was using it as a logging truck!

post-5762-0-33035200-1553945981_thumb.jpg

About a week ago I attacked an ugly patch of corrosion on the Tipo's rear offside door.  Although it was below the lower swage line and not prominently visible, I knew it was there and had to deal with it.  The colour matched paint was an exact match and a few days later clear lacquer was applied.  Today I reckoned it had had sufficient time to stand polishing and I'm pleased to report that it has come up well.  Next task is to try to remove dead leaves from behind the fresh air and heater outlets.  I think the easiest way will be to shatter the leaves by poking, then suck the debris out with a hoover.   Other than that, it is a comfortable, practical daily driver.  I'm working up enthusiasm to dig the Reliant out of my garage. I also want to get my 1967 Peugeot Moped out to see if I can sit on it for a photo.  It has not moved for at least 20 years.

Took Dad's 1996 MX5 in for MOT (as he still can't drive it after Hip Op), collected that and dropped my 2cv for it's MOT. Both passed!   Good times!

Took the 2cv for a little ride around Manston, Margate etc roof down obviously. Trouble with it being a decent day is that everyone else was out as well! Busy everywhere, not like when I was the only one daft enough to be out in that wind a few weeks back!

Took Dad's 1996 MX5 in for MOT (as he still can't drive it after Hip Op), collected that and dropped my 2cv for it's MOT. Both passed!   Good times!

Took the 2cv for a little ride around Manston, Margate etc roof down obviously. Trouble with it being a decent day is that everyone else was out as well! Busy everywhere, not like when I was the only one daft enough to be out in that wind a few weeks back!

Good stuff. Feel free to drop in to Herne Bay to say hello some time Chris, always like to see a tin snail!

Went to the  coast in the Mercedes today. I wanted to take some photos of the car with sail boats in the background.Harbour road in Brancaster Staithe was  very busy so too was East Harbour Way in Burnham Staithe so nothing doing.Maybe I should get up earlier.Anyway had a couple of hours on the beach (wind coming off the north sea was bracing) and then went home.Everything was fine until the dual carriage-way on the A47 heading towards Wisbech. The throttle pedal went all slack just after a layby always the same huh.I coasted for about half a mile then glided into the service station and into a parking space.

I lifted the bonnet then realised I didn't have any tools. I've got a new phone and all my stored numbers aren't ,erm stored. I'm 30 miles from home and in a bit of a pickle. Can't see much as no tools means I can't remove the air filter so fumbling about I find a black piece of broken plastic that probably holds the cable in place.The cable itself isn't broken just come adrift.At this point I remember there is a windbreak in the boot as I had been on the beach.The pegs for these things a pretty useless so I use welding rods bent double.I fashioned a clamp out of one of these and.....success. I'm now home and the car is in the workshop. 

Turns out the fans on my MX5 don’t kick in at all anymore... as I discovered whilst on traffic on the Wirral.

Spot on on a run, hot hot hot after a few minutes at standstill!

The switch on top of the thermostat failed internally on ours so it was always on.

Then the rad blocked so it was only 50% flowing.

The switch on top of the thermostat failed internally on ours so it was always on.

Then the rad blocked so it was only 50% flowing.

Rad was flushed recently when the water pump was changed... it’s since this the problem has arisen. I noticed it was getting hot in traffic a couple of weeks ago, but as I rarely drive it in traffic it didn’t crop up again until yesterday...,

To balance out Zel's experience on the grumpy thread, I too was pulled over by the police last night, for the first time in years.  I was on my way back from a mate's at about 2am, and rounding a bend rather enthusiastically in the Ducato van I passed a police car.  I looked in my mirrors and didn't see it turn round or anything, but about 5 minutes later there was suddenly a pair of headlights behind me and a couple of minutes after that the blues came on. 

I was half expecting a similar experience to Zel's - someone driving slightly* too quickly in a shonky old van at 2am in the middle of nowhere is bound to arouse plod suspicion I thought - but they were perfectly civil (as Norfolk Constabulary have tended to be in my experience to be fair), one of them breathalysed me (I hadn't had a drink all week so passed that with no problem) while the other shone a cursory torch at the tyres and then ran my details through the police computer to check for any outstanding wrongdoings.  The whole thing took about three minutes, then they sent me on my way with a friendly reminder to keep an eye on my speed.

Was coming home from a day out and found this old bailey caravan dumped on the a429 between Warwick and Oxford. Looked great behind the bx and I'd imagine they probably towed these same vans back in there day. Windows smashed and interior vandalised but would make a great project as classic caravans are shooting up in price due to the bunting brigade.

post-740-0-13117400-1554054128_thumb.jpg

Also found this old Sykes pickavant brake pipe flaring tool on Facebook. Must be at least thirty years old and I've never seen one like this before. All works perfectly too and in good condition. I'm a sucker for old tools. No use for it as doesn't do Citroen pipes but just added it to the collection.

post-740-0-36336900-1554054269_thumb.jpg