The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Why in the 21st century is anyone still using steel for fuel lines when they go nowhere near anything hot? The Astra has plastic lines from the tank that connect to other plastic lines that run up to underneath the passenger footwell they in turn connect to steel lines to go up the bulkhead. These have flexi ends to connect to the pump and filter housing. Predictably after 15 Scottish winters the steel bits under the floor are rotten as a pear and outside my house and my parking space at work look like the exon valdez had been to visit. Even in this incontinent state though it's still doing 20mpg more than the petrol CRV so apart from a slight wiff of diesel and the marked parking spaces the leak was barely noticeable. Hose, clips and copper line have been procured and I've started pulling the festering mess apart. Fingers crossed normal service will resume after a couple of evenings work, weather and daylight permitting. Just minor teething troubles though, normal service will be resumed just shortly.

Gave the van the once over as it approaches nicer weather it’ll probably get used quite a bit.

Hmm... this doesn’t look like it’ll be very effective.

post-18217-0-04566000-1553495965_thumb.jpeg

Better swap it for a fresh one (guesses size right phew)

post-18217-0-30588500-1553495999_thumb.jpeg

Once over of the oily bits reveals:

Oil needs changing/good service needed

Exhaust is blowing somewhere up the front

It’s still rusty (why doesn’t that cure itself dammit!)

Also found this weird stuff....

post-18217-0-93855000-1553496036_thumb.jpeg

Turned out it was desiccated coco pops... honestly never use coco pops in a Campervan, they get bloody everywhere!!!

Now to tax it and get using it!

Braked in a249 junction of m2 and rear banging like front gate in the wind..

Both bolts missing from nearside rear caliper carrier... how and wtf how? rummaged through box of bolts at my friend garrys ( eggs mk1 mondeo fweind ) and found some to fit to get me back to ashford..

pair bolts ordered off faceass galaxy page 

OK - due to tapatalk fucking me around this weekend - and the works place being uber tight on ANYTHING not theirs! I'll have to add a couple of photo's to the thread that is supposed to be my shit collection at a later date...…..

THE WEEKEND - A SUMMARY ……

FRI - PM - left work - EUROSTAR...….. Londinium - Maidstone - Colcs place.  = GRANVIA PICKUP er.. picked up.
SAT AM - 00.01 to be precise - EURO TUNNEL - GRANVIA off to EU ….

EDIT - Forgot the Blazing tanker I passed on Brussels Ring Road.... going too fast to get a photo…. but it was well alight with recovery guy and driver just standing keeping their hands warm!

SAT AM - 04.30 - HOME! No sweat…..

SAT AM - 05.10 - showered and changed, off to Midi again….. sleep is for wimps!
SAT AM - 07.56 - EUROSTAR number2 - Londinium once more.
SAT AM - 09.30 - Choo choo - Londin(you get the drift) -> Don of the casters……  (Roy of the Rovers northern better looking cousin)

SAT AM - brum brum - picked up by Shandylegs D himself (gentleman and top scholar - get the Midget project upon here dude!) and conveyed to conveyance of M sport type thingies for pootle back. (330CI - ex tayne and Shandylegs of this here Beige)
SAT PM - 1.30 after much banter, workshop drools, fill up and most entertaining blah blah blah - heading South

SAT PM - 6 ish - refuelled on Subway HD Chilli Nacho shit and Starbucks finest - opt for earlier departure so got wallet raped for another £76!.
SAT PM - 7.06ish - Euro Tunnel again - offski………

SAT PM - 9.30 - what the fuck is that noise?
SAT PM - 9.38 - service stop - exhaust is blowing like a bastard…….. damn it!
SAT PM - 10.45 - HOME - Lancaster bomber impressions for the last 100KM - but the downpipe to centre is fubar'd - will inspect properly later and fix asap.

Sun - Due to totally booked out ferries from both Newcastle AND Hull - I couldn't get back for collection No.3 - so Glasgow will have to wait (a bit like Heaven, but with fatter chicks I think)

Missed out on the triple collect - sadly disappointing……

Stick that in your - it's sooooo far away - excuses. MAN THE FUCK UP! (caveat - I was totally knackered and spent sunday chilling out and enjoying the sunshine…. kind of a recovery I suppose)

It CAN be done - I thank you……………….

Back home. Stayed overnight in the Cotswolds and collected some old 90s tg mags en route, where I spotted a “barn find”

post-4673-0-31130600-1553534925_thumb.jpeg

post-4673-0-52969000-1553535380_thumb.jpeg

Took the more interesting (over Dartmoor) route back home. Car a bit ropey but reliable, didn’t cook itself in heavy traffic, pisses out fuel if brimmed (perished breather pipes I think, TADS- another thing to sort ASAP and avoid in the meanwhile) and OMG ABS BAS yellow light errors started flashing up (and staying on) after heavy braking and/ or putting the power down out of corners. Cancels with the ignition off/on. Hmmmmm. Any ideas? Mustn’t grumble, it’s a decent steer really.

post-4673-0-22998800-1553534945_thumb.jpeg

During the last 50 miles the I changed both rear discs on the clio 182, these have the wheel bearings incorporated, and have just changed one of the front wheel bearings, so 3 out of the four changed. Guess what, the only bearing I haven't changed is now grumbling. Fuck sticks!!

And to show it's appreciation of being insured a taxed I got this.

post-17808-0-93390100-1553549590_thumb.jpg

Not one, not two but three lights. Welcome to Clio ownership.

Forgot to mention that the temp needle won't get to halfway, and the thermostat is practically new too. Top banana

It will be a visual ringer for use in areas where loud ringing would not be suitable, i.e. library, theatre, hospital etc.

Someone once told me they were for deaf people, but what use is a telephone to a deaf person!

Deaf folk can use phones; they just put the handset into an acoustic coupler and a box of tricks spits out text and allows them to reply using a keyboard.

During the last 50 miles the I changed both rear discs on the clio 182, these have the wheel bearings incorporated, and have just changed one of the front wheel bearings, so 3 out of the four changed. Guess what, the only bearing I haven't changed is now grumbling. Fuck sticks!!

And to show it's appreciation of being insured a taxed I got this.

IMG_20190325_211612473jpg

Not one, not two but three lights. Welcome to Clio ownership.

Forgot to mention that the temp needle won't get to halfway, and the thermostat is practically new too. Top banana

Liked for sympathy

Clearly I was tempting fate in the high mileage thread last week. A few days after the Clio hit 190k we have hit a few MoT related issues.

Updates to follow on Tuesday. 

Update as promised....and it's a Pass! Explained the handbrake issue to the tester this morning and no further problems. Haven't had a chance to look closely at the welding work yet but that'll have to wait because no lighting in my garage. . 

I will reward it with some fresh oil soon too, and then it's onwards towards 200k which at current run rate could be achieved towards the end of the year (if I keep it that long!)

About 3.3 nanoseconds after this becomes law, OBD devices for turning it off will be available

Might void all your insurances m8. ;)

Possibly mean that people will look after their older cars that have no such restrictions. Probably give insurance companies a chance to have an excuse to massively increase premiums on the older stuff though.