The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Had a look at the water ingress issue on the 80 this morning.

There is a drain hole in the rubber seal here, I think water is getting past this and under the plastic trim

post-3238-0-00796900-1553355312_thumb.jpg

I cut a sliver from an old door seal I had and slotted it underneath the plastic trim all the way along. We shall see how that works.

post-3238-0-59959000-1553355393_thumb.jpg

There is also a triangular bit of rubber trim missing here:

post-3238-0-65499000-1553355440_thumb.jpg

The damp area was also unbelievably dirty, this was the water bucker after the first pass.post-3238-0-11944900-1553355492_thumb.jpg

And the second:

post-3238-0-69466500-1553355576_thumb.jpg

Next job is to check the solder joints on the under-dash relay which controls the electric windows. Power to these cuts out regularly, not ideal when they are down.

Black mumbaaa jaaag breaks sound barrier at 110mph with fucked tyres and wonky alignment. Very impressed with this V6 despite it shitting power fluid onto the exhaust and stinking the cabin out.

With incoming Merc next week, luckily the Jaaag can have a rest, a billion pounds thrown at it on parts and then actually fitted to it too. 

A good day, constructive and sociable.

A hoon along to Cannock and back to blow the cobwebs outta the Streetshite and meet some fellow Shiters.

Then a productive afternoon adjusting the so-called self-adjusting rear drum brakes to ensure handbrake nice and tight again for MoT next Tuesday. No misbehaving at all - drums popped off lovely with no violence required, and even went back on again without too much aggro.

And also managed to get all the wheel nuts off the front of the car (previously jammed on by a gorilla with a windy gun), even the stubborn last one caved in to my mighty 'hammer a smaller socket' skills required due to the usual crappy Rover aluminium caps which go rusty and swell out, spinning uselessly on the wheel nut.

post-20951-0-16677400-1553369301_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow front brake pad renewal and anti-roll bar droplink replacements. Weather good, I'm feeling lucky. Expect a report this time tomorrow with my car in bits and me broken, then....

2019 MOT no. 3 has occurred at Rocker Towers as well.....T25 just needed some switch cleaner on the hazard warning switch and a couple of wiper blades.  Unfortunately, the coolant and oil leaks are not good news although I knew about the coolant one.   Really going to bite the bullet on this one and suck up the cost of a new engine later in the year.   I want to go part time before Summer 2020 and the van will be essential to my new-found leisure time.....

I've got a brand new set of stainless coolant pipes that I bought for mine, yours for fairly cheap.

Decided to not to renew my insurance on my heavily pineappled caddy van, so I can fix a few of it's annoying faults.

So as of today this will be my only mode of transport. Only done about a hundred miles since I changed the engine. What could possibly go wrong!!! Wish me luck.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190322_143031887_HDR.jpg

Next 200 miles will be fine

Clearly I was tempting fate in the high mileage thread last week. A few days after the Clio hit 190k we have hit a few MoT related issues.

Fail sheet wasn't too bad on the face of it - a front shock which I was half expecting, a dodgy earth on the rear light cluster causing some crossover between the brake and fog lights (easy fix) and a hole on the inner sill, irritatingly within 30cm of something important.

post-3118-0-01375800-1553427151_thumb.jpg

Booked in for Tuesday to sort the sill and shock out, however.....

I haven't seen a fail for this before (and I've seen a few!) - "Parking brake lever pivot worn to the extent that the brake may inadvertently release (excessive movement at mount)"

Taking the handbrake assembly apart from inside, it's a really poor design. The plate containing the handbrake mechanism is secured to the floorpan by two diagonally opposite bolts. Even tightening those as far as I dare results in some side to side movement of the whole assembly. Worried that the mountings were crusty or the floor itself damaged, I dived underneath to have a look. All clean there, although annoyingly the bolts are welded in place so I can't easily swap them for larger ones.

post-3118-0-69452600-1553427429_thumb.jpg

I did put some larger washers on the two existing bolts which has reduced the movement slightly, but I'll have to keep everything crossed that it's enough to satisfy the tester. 

Updates to follow on Tuesday. 

I haven't seen a fail for this before (and I've seen a few!) - "Parking brake lever pivot worn to the extent that the brake may inadvertently release (excessive movement at mount)"

Taking the handbrake assembly apart from inside, it's a really poor design. The plate containing the handbrake mechanism is secured to the floorpan by two diagonally opposite bolts. Even tightening those as far as I dare results in some side to side movement of the whole assembly. Worried that the mountings were crusty or the floor itself damaged, I dived underneath to have a look. All clean there, although annoyingly the bolts are welded in place so I can't easily swap them for larger ones.

Is in not the handbrake mechanism is worn not that it is not attached to the car?

Doesn't look that way, mechanism seems fine up and down the ratchet and is secured to the plate which sits in the floor. With the trim all removed it's much easier to demonstrate - will I get away with leaving it exposed for the re-test? 

I decided to venture out today and give the Cadillac a run, just 16 miles each way as a test. All seems well.

post-4787-0-87870800-1553446381_thumb.jpg

The destination was Turweston Airfield where the Silverstone Social were holding a car meet. The best attendance I have every seen, my guess 300 cars. I have been there on a wet day and there were 40.

I don’t think I have enough for a full report so just some personal highlights for me.

My friends Nova and his sons MX3.

post-4787-0-94850800-1553446458_thumb.jpg

If only Beko could pop round this afternoon and do MY 156 V6 engine like this it would make Mrs6C very jealous.

post-4787-0-57177400-1553446487_thumb.jpg

I know this Spitfire and the carbon wrap is to hide the ill fitting white fiberglass bonnet.

post-4787-0-58730300-1553446465_thumb.jpg

I like variety and this photo really does it for me, side by side at a show Mclaren and Morris Minor.

post-4787-0-71115200-1553446473_thumb.jpg

There were airplanes, some flying.

post-4787-0-89415500-1553446501_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-10561200-1553446513_thumb.jpg

A dozen or more motorbikes, this looked the most interesting.

post-4787-0-71528800-1553446523_thumb.jpg 

The car I most wanted to drive home in.

post-4787-0-59207300-1553446392_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-01174100-1553446400_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-19230600-1553446415_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-31654800-1553446532_thumb.jpg

Another staggeringly easy afternoon of fettling on the Streetwise - this car is an absolute joy to work on.

Replaced front brake pads (not an advisory last time out but the old ones were getting low):

post-20951-0-54468700-1553446987_thumb.jpg

Replaced front anti-roll bar drop links (was an advisory last time around)

post-20951-0-02411100-1553447098_thumb.jpg

So, cross-referencing last year:

Advisory notice item(s)
oil residue on the engine - yup, still there - cursory squirt of Gunk here and there
fuel pump is very noisey - yup, still 'noisey', no impact on performance whatsoever and something some Rovers just do
n/s/f and o/s/f outer cv boots are badly perished - no they're not perished at all, bizarre this one. Stretched them out, absolutely fine
n/s/f and o/s/f anti roll bar linkage bushes are splitting - sorted, gold star
corrosion to exhaust - wotever, m8
slight corrosion to chassis - again, wotever, m8
Parking brake lever has little reserve travel (3.1.6b) sorted, gold star

I'm a darned sight more confident of the Streetwise passing the MoT than the Rover 620. Tuesday 10.30 it is then.

If it fails, I'll be seeking a shit motor with a few weeks ticket for peanuts.

On the last not I had on the c2 the tester pushed down hard on the handbrake to make sure it didn't trip on the ratchet mechanism. Not something like that is it?

I'm speaking to him in the morning, will check. Thanks!

For now I think I've done all I can on it & to be fair it does all feel a bit less wobbly

Actually got round to looking at the non-working horn on the scooter. The place that 'serviced' it said they'd found a loose connection and jiggled it so it worked again. Didn't work when I picked it up, so today had a look. Jiggling it slightly did make it work briefly, but took the horn cover panel off and find one the wires had chafed through to the point it actually just fell apart. Found some spare wire, cut a piece in and now have a working horn.

Was supposed to have taken the wheel off the Transit to investigate the brake fluid leak, and fitted the new rear pads to the ML, but frankly the nice weather won, so I pissed off for a highly enjoyable 14 mile cycle ride instead.