The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Tech news.

I now have 16GB of ram, and am currently running many Lucas-Lehmer iterations and memtests.

So far, so good.

And as a side note, after applying some fancy Dan cooler master tim look at how cool my ancient Intel CPU is. That's at least 5 degrees cooler than I can remember it being.

Sorry for boring you, carry on.a1b118f452f41a1f1c64cb74906ce83d.jpg

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Mot passed yesterday on the Volvo.  Cars always seem to run better after passing an MOT.

Also I have hired a rugdoctor machine for 48 hours over the weekend so hopefully get rid of the dog/cat pish smells from the interior.

Mrs Doug refuses to sit in it till the smells away.

2019 MOT no. 3 has occurred at Rocker Towers as well.....T25 just needed some switch cleaner on the hazard warning switch and a couple of wiper blades.  Unfortunately, the coolant and oil leaks are not good news although I knew about the coolant one.   Really going to bite the bullet on this one and suck up the cost of a new engine later in the year.   I want to go part time before Summer 2020 and the van will be essential to my new-found leisure time.....

Attitude maybe dictated the different results.

Treat them like "utter morons that don't understand English" and explain "how stupid they are" and you'll probably not have fantastic service.... Maybe go for German next time, presume your German is better than their English.

I started off polite, I always do. I slowly got more and more frustrated as it became apparent how inept they were and how much effort I had to go to to prove a point that would generally be sorted no questions asked somewhere like ECP.

found an app that can search for BLE devices ....

such as ITAGs

so I dug out the miserable little ITAG I bought ,,,,

and found I can search for it , log on to it and play with the alarm

need to get into the wide world with this !

Today I managed to view a 1993 Reliant Robin lx and not buy it.

With a blowing exhaust to rectify on my LS, a thoroughly crispy Cortina estate to weld up and an as yet unknown engine failure to remedy on a Suzuki GP100, I felt I should give the chance of Reliant resurrection to someone else more deserving.

I would be concerned that I’m losing my soul but the fact that I’m racked with non-buyers remorse reassures me that I haven’t ceased to exist just yet. I only hope it doesn’t get triked.

I think a clapped out multicoloured car with odd wheels and a moody ticket is needed next lol B1BA3E16-E265-4B7F-B311-BEDB72AD9321.jpeg

Would sir like a visit from my Explorer? It ticks all the boxes although it did leave the factory multi coloured and the ticket isn't that moody. I did get a verbal advisory for the handbrake though...

Had a look at the water ingress issue on the 80 this morning.

There is a drain hole in the rubber seal here, I think water is getting past this and under the plastic trim

post-3238-0-00796900-1553355312_thumb.jpg

I cut a sliver from an old door seal I had and slotted it underneath the plastic trim all the way along. We shall see how that works.

post-3238-0-59959000-1553355393_thumb.jpg

There is also a triangular bit of rubber trim missing here:

post-3238-0-65499000-1553355440_thumb.jpg

The damp area was also unbelievably dirty, this was the water bucker after the first pass.post-3238-0-11944900-1553355492_thumb.jpg

And the second:

post-3238-0-69466500-1553355576_thumb.jpg

Next job is to check the solder joints on the under-dash relay which controls the electric windows. Power to these cuts out regularly, not ideal when they are down.

Black mumbaaa jaaag breaks sound barrier at 110mph with fucked tyres and wonky alignment. Very impressed with this V6 despite it shitting power fluid onto the exhaust and stinking the cabin out.

With incoming Merc next week, luckily the Jaaag can have a rest, a billion pounds thrown at it on parts and then actually fitted to it too. 

A good day, constructive and sociable.

A hoon along to Cannock and back to blow the cobwebs outta the Streetshite and meet some fellow Shiters.

Then a productive afternoon adjusting the so-called self-adjusting rear drum brakes to ensure handbrake nice and tight again for MoT next Tuesday. No misbehaving at all - drums popped off lovely with no violence required, and even went back on again without too much aggro.

And also managed to get all the wheel nuts off the front of the car (previously jammed on by a gorilla with a windy gun), even the stubborn last one caved in to my mighty 'hammer a smaller socket' skills required due to the usual crappy Rover aluminium caps which go rusty and swell out, spinning uselessly on the wheel nut.

post-20951-0-16677400-1553369301_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow front brake pad renewal and anti-roll bar droplink replacements. Weather good, I'm feeling lucky. Expect a report this time tomorrow with my car in bits and me broken, then....

2019 MOT no. 3 has occurred at Rocker Towers as well.....T25 just needed some switch cleaner on the hazard warning switch and a couple of wiper blades.  Unfortunately, the coolant and oil leaks are not good news although I knew about the coolant one.   Really going to bite the bullet on this one and suck up the cost of a new engine later in the year.   I want to go part time before Summer 2020 and the van will be essential to my new-found leisure time.....

I've got a brand new set of stainless coolant pipes that I bought for mine, yours for fairly cheap.

Decided to not to renew my insurance on my heavily pineappled caddy van, so I can fix a few of it's annoying faults.

So as of today this will be my only mode of transport. Only done about a hundred miles since I changed the engine. What could possibly go wrong!!! Wish me luck.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190322_143031887_HDR.jpg

Next 200 miles will be fine

Clearly I was tempting fate in the high mileage thread last week. A few days after the Clio hit 190k we have hit a few MoT related issues.

Fail sheet wasn't too bad on the face of it - a front shock which I was half expecting, a dodgy earth on the rear light cluster causing some crossover between the brake and fog lights (easy fix) and a hole on the inner sill, irritatingly within 30cm of something important.

post-3118-0-01375800-1553427151_thumb.jpg

Booked in for Tuesday to sort the sill and shock out, however.....

I haven't seen a fail for this before (and I've seen a few!) - "Parking brake lever pivot worn to the extent that the brake may inadvertently release (excessive movement at mount)"

Taking the handbrake assembly apart from inside, it's a really poor design. The plate containing the handbrake mechanism is secured to the floorpan by two diagonally opposite bolts. Even tightening those as far as I dare results in some side to side movement of the whole assembly. Worried that the mountings were crusty or the floor itself damaged, I dived underneath to have a look. All clean there, although annoyingly the bolts are welded in place so I can't easily swap them for larger ones.

post-3118-0-69452600-1553427429_thumb.jpg

I did put some larger washers on the two existing bolts which has reduced the movement slightly, but I'll have to keep everything crossed that it's enough to satisfy the tester. 

Updates to follow on Tuesday.