The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It seemed weird at first. I also answered the questions in about a third of the time they give you to do it. However, it's hilariously short and easy.

Thought it might be. I'm guessing not particularly technically-oriented? Which is a shame because I did the same sort of thing for a living for significantly less money when I first entered the world of Real Jobs.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Trimphone is a product of the 1960s, the original tele 712 model being launched in 1965. The more common 722 from 1971 didn't, or shouldn't, have the radioactive dial.

Oh the joys of papa dustman working for BT since the GPO days.....

It was the dial that glowed in the dark that had tritium. Only alpha radiation though so unless you licked the dial you’ll be ok.

Princess may well appear on that there Facebook again.  Metallic blue Audi saloon (probably about 10 years old?  Like a modernised 90s 100) behind me in traffic, taking pictures with his phone and making faces like he wasn't quite sure what he was looking at.

hope it appears as good to see it on the road

First crash in years today, in fact the first time I've ever had to organise paying for damage I've caused with a vehicle.

I clipped a parked Insignia with a van,  about £300 of mostly paint damage to the Insignia and very little to the van.

On the plus side the Focus passed its MOT this afternoon.

I got up this morning, opened the curtains, saw there was no Buick outside and did a sad.  I need another wafty barge in my life.   The 75 is fairly wafty I suppose but it just isn't the same being a diesel.  I suppose even a 2.5 V6 75 would do the trick.

I've been running around in the newly purchased Ducato van the last few days, and I'm quite impressed so far.  Fuel economy seems to be at the same sort of level as the 75, possibly slightly less good - high 30s as opposed to low 40s.  It goes perfectly well enough to get past slower traffic - my initial impression that performance was very similar to the Maxus was backed up when I took it down my favourite stretch of private road and recorded a 0-60 of 16.4 seconds (Maxus did it in 16.5).  It's therefore officially the quickest diesel van I have owned (although the 2.8 Ducato would probably have been quicker had third gear not been MIA).  It's not great off the line though - ironically the low first gear actually makes it slower as the turbo doesn't have time to get spooled up properly before it runs out of revs.  I have a cheap tuning box which I bought for the Stilo when I had it but never fitted as the connectors were different - I might have a look at the weekend and see if I can fit it to the Ducato.

It is quite rusty underneath though - it's not the worst I've seen, but it's gone in the usual places, inner sill on the nearside below the side door, outriggers, and front inner wings, which are a definite fail as they've gone right next to the subframe mounts.  It was caked in mud underneath which probably wasn't helping - I've given the underside a blast with the jet wash and will have a more detailed look at the weekend to see exactly what needs doing.  I'm going to have a word with my welding mate and see if he fancies it and if so how much he'll charge.  It's annoying that these things all rot like a bastard as they're great old vans to drive.

I haven't used the Audi in a couple of weeks and I went to open the boot to retrieve my umbrella.

A literal torrent of water gushed out of the  bottom left corner of the boot lid (car is lopsided as both n/s tyres are going flat) and had I opened it further, the flow would have reversed and emptied into the boot itself. There must be water getting inside the actual structure of the boot lit somehow., suspect high level brake light. I will need to investigate, when I have the urge.

Today is all about MoTs, so Mike and I are off to see SoC shortly.  Princess will likely be having a little stay since it needs a bit of work I can't do, but I'm hopefully SoC will prevail and I'll have a lovely fresh MoT and quiet wheel bearings very soon.

Today is my wedding anniversary. 21 years! :)

Congratulations, or should it be Commiserations?

I’m still amazed that Mrs Seal has put up with me for the last 16 years, I confessed to winning the Buick and she rolled her eyes and muttered “Oh FFS”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A hundred yards from the pub where I go for an after work beer, 

as you do, well I do, there are a couple of units and what did I see 

poking its nose out the door ?

One of these.

post-20317-0-08356300-1553113051_thumb.jpg

Had a chat with the owner who's had it for about 12 years.

It is furkin eeee mac you late !!!  Only done, get this, 26,000.

Brown with a light brown, beige dare I say, interior.

He was giving it a polish because he's taking it to the Practical

Classics at the NEC this week. He's also got a late Crapi 3 litre

Ghia S, V reg, and a Triumph Roadster from the late 40's.

A bit later at tesco I had a quick chat at the pumps with the

owner of a 94 Vauxhall Ashtray in that bluey green colour.

I did inform him that according to folklore all Vauxhalls are shite,

but he laughed it off. I therefore pointed him in the direction of

much beigeness.

I know that the little oblong on the top can be removed and a switch fitted. It was if you were on a 'party line', ie a shared line with another house down the street because the exchange was full. We were like that for a time in the late 60's or early 70's. You had to lift the receiver, listen to whether it was in use then if not, press the button to get the line.

our line was shared with the hous directly opposite- party line might have been cheaper back in the day when a phone was a "luxury"

ECP had a poor listing for timing belt kits for the Audi. One didn't include the hydraulically damped tensioner and one did. The latter was £260 and my model requires it.

I was put onto Autodoc, a German site and I managed to find the correct kit with the damper and water pump for £154 including UK VAT and free postage. Hopefully it'll arrive before Brexit!

I've booked the car into my usual garage on 10th April, the first day I actually have time to take a weekday off, to have it done. It's a guid auld motor so I'm ok with some spendage.

TT looks to be sold.

My wife's friend who has been badgering me after it for the last year is having it. Put a day insurance policy on it, Mrs SiC went out with her first just to check she was ok and we've now left her loose in it for the evening.

Just warned her to be a little bit careful. Its her second car and she's going from a 100bhp Fiesta Auto (only has auto licence) to a 200bhp Sports Car... Quite a step up.

Which means potentially room for a new daily! :)