The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well, if we are comparing our telephones, here are some of mine:

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Note: 1 UK model present in the collection.

Oh cool stuff! (got any trimphones that still glow?  :mrgreen: )

a Pink IIRC version of the red phone right at the bottom was the first rotary phone I ever used :)

(Called my mum on it if anyones wondering LOL)

one of these days Id love a functioning rotary phone setup in my Room :)

Oh cool stuff! (got any trimphones that still glow? :mrgreen: )

a Pink IIRC version of the red phone right at the bottom was the first rotary phone I ever used :)

(Called my mum on it if anyones wondering LOL)

one of these days Id love a functioning rotary phone setup in my Room :)

No trimphones here sadly, but I would like one.

A pink Ericofon! Now that is a rare beast, even in the 60s

10/10 would recommend a rotary phone setup, I only have rotary phones hooked up in the house and they get used regularly as mobile reception is appalling here. I once hooked up about a dozen at once using all my double adapters, I nearly deafened myself with the bells and may have slightly* broken the line distribution box for the town.

yeah it was owned by a Old Lighting collector that also had an impressive phone collection, I almost took home a rotary phone from him, but sadly it was not to be

LOL to the hooking them all up, I know someone else here who did that too  :mrgreen:

(I can imagine in your case, them all ringing, then stopping suddenly, and then the "Oh shit why did they stop? whats happened?!" :) )

Well if I hadn't got enough problems with the C4 of much slowness I've bought another car with engine problems. Scooped up an unrusty, amazingly, Mercedes c180 with a rattling timing chain. Bodywork other than the bumpers is really good and it has a mtex interior in immaculate condition. Drives well as it has only done 110k. The best bit is it has a proper lpg system fitted that is registered on the logbook and works fine once warmed up. Cracking colour too. Price? 200 quid.dbf57578076eb7afb2b278168ef1c9b9.jpg

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

Won 8gig of Kingston Hyperx fury ram on eBay.

Tomorrow's news, new centre section for the noisy exhaust some dozy ginger wanker fitted to my car....

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Bum, he can't fit a bigger centre silencer.

No room next to prop shaft.

Hmm.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

LOL to the hooking them all up, I know someone else here who did that too :mrgreen:

(I can imagine in your case, them all ringing, then stopping suddenly, and then the "Oh shit why did they stop? whats happened?!" :) )

That is exactly what happened! In retrospect, I think it was closer to 20 phones connected at once.

Later that day I went to the post office and the linesman was there in the line distribution box fixing what I had done. I asked him what he was doing and apparently “someone’s line overloaded” which had taken out all the phones in town!

Let’s just say I never did that again.

Fitted the new door mirror to the Land Rover, I was dreading the job as you have to undo the top hinge on the driver's door to unscrew the bracket from the back of the hinge. Everything came apart and went back together easily for once. I have left the door panel off as I'm waiting for a new window regulator, hopefully that will fit easily as well (I only replaced it in June so the fixings may not have seized up yet) Did run out of glue fitting the new vent flap seal, but that's a job to finish tomorrow.

Re old phones - does pulse dialling still work with modern telephone exchanges?

I can confirm that it does, no matter what some on the internet say! May vary by exchange obviously, but it currently works on mine.

If it ever stops I think you can get boxes that convert pulse dialling to DTMF, and it's almost certainly trivial* to build one in these days of Arduinos and such.

If you've never seen an old school phone exchange working, go do that now, it's so blindingly simple but at the same time hilariously complex. Like I could probably come up with the concept given the time, but to execute it on such a staggeringly large scale amazes me. Here's a video about a fairly niche aspect of phone systems, but shows an exchange working: https://youtu.be/bUIiUXvnkUQ

Sorry for derailing the thread to now be the New Old Telephone 24 thread....

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I used to collect phones obsessively, and got one in every colour of the 706 and 746 (including some boxed never used) then started on trimphones and the later push button ones. I came to my senses and sold them off, including the two portable dial payphones.

I also had a few bakelite, French and Ericofon ones. Now I have one Jade Green Bakelite and an orange push button Ericofon.

Anyone collecting old phones should be aware that the trimphone ( ours was avocado green) is radioactive. Oh the carefree 70s!

Trimphone is a product of the 1960s, the original tele 712 model being launched in 1965. The more common 722 from 1971 didn't, or shouldn't, have the radioactive dial.

Oh the joys of papa dustman working for BT since the GPO days.....

Speaking of working for telecommunications companies... I have a video interview with one mentioned in this very thread! Here's hoping!

I'm attending an assessment day in Inverness tomorrow for probably the same company!

I did the video interview a few weeks ago.

I'm attending an assessment day in Inverness tomorrow for probably the same company!

I did the video interview a few weeks ago.

Nice one! How was the video interview? Rational part of my brain tells me it's just talking at a screen, which I do anyway, but I'm irrationally nervous about it.

Nice one! How was the video interview? Rational part of my brain tells me it's just talking at a screen, which I do anyway, but I'm irrationally nervous about it.

It seemed weird at first. I also answered the questions in about a third of the time they give you to do it. However, it's hilariously short and easy.