The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That needs a CIM. It was a recall.

Which was missed (and is now over the 100k mileage and age limits) . Tallys with what I've read, I keep meaning to have the cowling off and see if it's just the wires loose, otherwise it can stay as it is (along with the silent indicators and lights/door buzzer!)

I had the same problem with an unobtainium power steering pipe on the Holden - Australia market only and not many made. I cut out the rusty/leaking section, flared the ends of the pipe with a brake pipe tool (to stop slippage) and got a short section of the correct size hydraulic rubber hose from my local commercial lawn mower repair man. Double jubilee clip either end and it has passed 2 MOTs since with no further leakage.

Which was missed (and is now over the 100k mileage and age limits) . Tallys with what I've read, I keep meaning to have the cowling off and see if it's just the wires loose, otherwise it can stay as it is (along with the silent indicators and lights/door buzzer!)

Wife's avensis had a recall issued years ago for airbags. It was taken by me this year. That has 110k on clock and an 05 plate. Sounds like a lot of cim related issues. Other halfs Vectra had that fail and it refused to read the key anymore.

Wife's avensis had a recall issued years ago for airbags. It was taken by me this year. That has 110k on clock and an 05 plate. Sounds like a lot of cim related issues. Other halfs Vectra had that fail and it refused to read the key anymore.

The day it does that is the day it joins my lagunas and 406's!

The Passat has a sodden driver's side footwell, internet detective work pointed to the ECU case seal.

wiQgThs.jpg?1

The ECU box was soggy inside. The seal is between the bottom of the box and the hole for wiring going into the cabin, it's a flimsy foam gasket. Lacking a new gasket or any other ideas I cleaned it up, mopped up the water and slathered all sealing surfaces with petroleum jelly.

TMYqVmz.jpg?1

There's water pooling below the brake servo after the recent storm but not a lot, I think it must be draining away somewhere. I've never known a car so bad for leaks and I've owned some shitty cars.

D61NTky.jpg?1

Cheap tuning box fitted, I don't know if it's just a glorified resistor but it definitely makes a difference, the car now pulls away in second gear without stalling (a complaint in the contemporary AA road test) and feels stronger pulling from low revs in all of the gears. 

Didn't realise you were that close!  We regularly end up at Westwood Cross.  I was getting blown around this morning in the Golf of Many Dents and that's made mainly of iron.  2CV must have been fucking terrifying.

Well the car lives at my parents house, near there. I live at the far end of Kent, but get down whenever I can. 

It was certainly not an enjoyable journey. Sadly, I don't think it even makes the top 10 worst journeys in the 2cv, but probably one of the scariest. It was shaking, the bonnet was flexing and it was really hard to stay on the road. Good job hardly anyone else was daft enough to be out! 

The drivers side floor mat in the 316 was more than showing its age and use, so when a driver at work got fancy new mats and was going to throw out his old ones (2 year old or so) and in great condition, I knew I had a replacement.

Quick trimming down and...

post-19988-0-02710600-1552674642_thumb.jpeg

Perfect!

today I watched an Audi driver hammering on the window of the car in front of him because it did not move up 6 inches to let him turn off left ...out of the traffic jam

in Tesco , the arse behind me could not wait for a separator to become available and forced his way past me with a " scuse  me " and a dirty look to grab one  ... ..only 2 lots of shopping before his got counted out .. and being Tesco that was a while ....

sad sods

The drivers side floor mat in the 316 was more than showing its age and use, so when a driver at work got fancy new mats and was going to throw out his old ones (2 year old or so) and in great condition, I knew I had a replacement.

Quick trimming down and...

attachicon.gifEF62165E-2C17-4B68-9324-28967C2C55A0.jpeg

Perfect!

True qualitee* shiting there!! :-P  :-P

today I watched an Audi driver hammering on the window of the car in front of him because it did not move up 6 inches to let him turn off left ...out of the traffic jam

sad sods

I've never been as nuts as to go and hammer on their door, but on my drive to work, the last junction I take is a left turn with a filter lane at traffic lights. Every morning without fail, someone going straight on will leave a huge gap to the car in front meaning I can't get into the filter lane which is usually on green when straight on is red.

This dithering is usually the difference between me scraping in on time or being late again.

And yes I know I should leave earlier but it shouldn't take 40 minutes to do 11 miles.

One for the grump thread probably.

I'm having terrible thoughts of buying my old car back.

post-4555-0-07853200-1552689156_thumb.png

post-4555-0-15014700-1552689299_thumb.jpg

Its possibly got HGF, its too slow and thirsty and it occasionally rains inside.  I've also got to MOT the daily on Tuesday lest I have 4 MOT failures here and nothing to drive to work

On the other hand it's scrap money, it has a flowery headlining and is fun on the local B roads and would mean I have something to drive to POL if the Bollox Rover isn't fixed.

Arrgghh decisions

I'm having terrible thoughts of buying my old car back.

attachicon.gif214 fail.png

attachicon.gif214 arse.jpg

Its possibly got HGF, its too slow and thirsty and it occasionally rains inside.  I've also got to MOT the daily on Tuesday lest I have 4 MOT failures here and nothing to drive to work

On the other hand it's scrap money, it has a flowery headlining and is fun on the local B roads and would mean I have something to drive to POL if the Bollox Rover isn't fixed.

Arrgghh decisions

The reg. no. is an omen.