The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I can haz new wheels! No collection thread because the totally awesome Davehedgehog31 of this parish delivered it tonight. Not just delivered but he also insisted on giving me a massive discount on the previously agreed sale price because he found a couple of minor issues with it the other day. So the mighty Diesel Astra  "Enjoy" will shortly be taking over the duties of being "an car" from the venerable old CRV. The CRV has filled the role of white goods motoring for an incredible 6 years now but a recent change of employer and longer commute means it's eating me out of house and home with its 25mpg frugality*. 

WBAC will shortly be relieving me of the CRV because it's too shit to offer up here IMHO. (1) If you really wanted a CRV then a nice example that hasn't done 183,000 miles and been used as a van isn't that much money. (2) If you wanted cheap motoring then even if I paid you to take it away you couldn't afford it with 25mpg and £315 road tax. (3) If you can afford  £315 road tax and 25mpg there are many, many more interesting cars to try than a clapped out old Honda.

Not only a new car but buying if from the pages of Autoshite means that's another little bucket list box ticked :-)

WBAC will shortly be relieving me of the CRV because it's too shit to offer up here IMHO. (1) If you really wanted a CRV then a nice example that hasn't done 183,000 miles and been used as a van isn't that much money. (2) If you wanted cheap motoring then even if I paid you to take it away you couldn't afford it with 25mpg and £315 road tax. (3) If you can afford  £315 road tax and 25mpg there are many, many more interesting cars to try than a clapped out old Honda.

Must admit I quite liked my CRV, it fulfilled the role of 'An Car' really well and being a V reg only cost about £240 to tax.

Can also confirm DH31 is a GR9 seller. Wud By Again.

I bought this old heap off my mate at work the other week to replace the 323 being roffled as an estate is a bit more useful to me for work and general old rammel collecting duties - it's a 2005 Astra 1.8 Club estate

post-177-0-30754200-1552470773_thumb.jpg

It was a bit of a scrapyard save as it had an electrical drain that was sending it flat overnight, which was annoying him, then he happened to check its MOT and found it ran out last November :shock:  oops!

Anyways I had a look at what the scrap man would turn up and collect it for, so it became mine for £141

Did a bit of googling and apparently the radios can go king dick and cause a drain so i got the multimeter out, pulled a few fuses and that seemed to be the case so that is on the floor in the back now :D

A new dropling and the horn fixing and its now tested up :)

Sadly i'm an idiot and can't leave anything alone, so it has a new bonnet to replae the massively dented old one, some astra VXR snowflakes, and matching vxr suspension. Just need a rear spoiler and the xp pack front splitter and that will do for a budget bus.

post-177-0-71420500-1552472174_thumb.jpg

That needs a CIM. It was a recall.

Which was missed (and is now over the 100k mileage and age limits) . Tallys with what I've read, I keep meaning to have the cowling off and see if it's just the wires loose, otherwise it can stay as it is (along with the silent indicators and lights/door buzzer!)

I had the same problem with an unobtainium power steering pipe on the Holden - Australia market only and not many made. I cut out the rusty/leaking section, flared the ends of the pipe with a brake pipe tool (to stop slippage) and got a short section of the correct size hydraulic rubber hose from my local commercial lawn mower repair man. Double jubilee clip either end and it has passed 2 MOTs since with no further leakage.

Which was missed (and is now over the 100k mileage and age limits) . Tallys with what I've read, I keep meaning to have the cowling off and see if it's just the wires loose, otherwise it can stay as it is (along with the silent indicators and lights/door buzzer!)

Wife's avensis had a recall issued years ago for airbags. It was taken by me this year. That has 110k on clock and an 05 plate. Sounds like a lot of cim related issues. Other halfs Vectra had that fail and it refused to read the key anymore.

Wife's avensis had a recall issued years ago for airbags. It was taken by me this year. That has 110k on clock and an 05 plate. Sounds like a lot of cim related issues. Other halfs Vectra had that fail and it refused to read the key anymore.

The day it does that is the day it joins my lagunas and 406's!

The Passat has a sodden driver's side footwell, internet detective work pointed to the ECU case seal.

wiQgThs.jpg?1

The ECU box was soggy inside. The seal is between the bottom of the box and the hole for wiring going into the cabin, it's a flimsy foam gasket. Lacking a new gasket or any other ideas I cleaned it up, mopped up the water and slathered all sealing surfaces with petroleum jelly.

TMYqVmz.jpg?1

There's water pooling below the brake servo after the recent storm but not a lot, I think it must be draining away somewhere. I've never known a car so bad for leaks and I've owned some shitty cars.

D61NTky.jpg?1

Cheap tuning box fitted, I don't know if it's just a glorified resistor but it definitely makes a difference, the car now pulls away in second gear without stalling (a complaint in the contemporary AA road test) and feels stronger pulling from low revs in all of the gears. 

Didn't realise you were that close!  We regularly end up at Westwood Cross.  I was getting blown around this morning in the Golf of Many Dents and that's made mainly of iron.  2CV must have been fucking terrifying.

Well the car lives at my parents house, near there. I live at the far end of Kent, but get down whenever I can. 

It was certainly not an enjoyable journey. Sadly, I don't think it even makes the top 10 worst journeys in the 2cv, but probably one of the scariest. It was shaking, the bonnet was flexing and it was really hard to stay on the road. Good job hardly anyone else was daft enough to be out!