The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Mike had time to lend a hand.  Even with a scaffold bar, me on the footbrake, and all Mike's strength neither front hub nut will budge.  They're both FAR too tight.  Going to see if a local garage can get them off with the big gun and then retorqued to the correct setting so we can do the wheel bearing and CV boot replacement at home.  They're on that tight that with me on the foot brake and all Mike's strength on the scaffold bar you can hear the brakes beginning to let go.  Someone has dogged these up WAY too tight.

Mike had time to lend a hand.  Even with a scaffold bar, me on the footbrake, and all Mike's strength neither front hub nut will budge.  They're both FAR too tight.  Going to see if a local garage can get them off with the big gun and then retorqued to the correct setting so we can do the wheel bearing and CV boot replacement at home.  They're on that tight that with me on the foot brake and all Mike's strength on the scaffold bar you can hear the brakes beginning to let go.  Someone has dogged these up WAY too tight.

Sounds like the Mazda. Even with heat, the scaffy bar bent a fair way before the hubnut finally released.

Well your only 224 miles away,so if you are prepared to travel you can have a drive. :grinning-smiley-043: :grinning-smiley-043:

Pfff. I snort with derision at your distance.   Bugger.

I do love the 2 1/2 though. What a jewel of an engine. 

My 2nd ever generator (dc) change as a mechanic was on one of those in a SP250/Dart (to suit).

The old boy in the wroshop showed me how to reverse the polarity (flashed) after I'd fitted it. 

The driver had some lunch in the next door pub whilst he waited.

What a glorious sound to my young ears.

Went to get the 2cv out this morning, and the garage door blew shut 3 times while I was getting it started. "It'll be fine!" I thought.  Drove up across Manston and had a bit of crosswind nearly blow me across the road, then down towards Margate where I had to fix the passenger window open as the wind kept opening it!  

Headed along the front, where I was struggling to stay on the road, it felt like I was being pushed backwards harder than the engine was pushing me forwards! Not that hard admittedly.  After really struggling to head inland, I thought "bugger this!" and got the Stepway out instead. No more problems as it is at least double the weight and not made of tin foil stretched over twigs!

Apparently the roof came off of Tesco! Quite a lot of damage around, but hopefully nobody hurt.

Managed to bodge the 944's wiper mechanism back together.

It simply clips back together but kept jumping out.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190307_180719.jpg

I bought one of these clips. I knew it wouldn't fit but was hoping I could fudge it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190310_074036.jpg

A bit of fiddling with a pair of pliers and and angle grinder and it was on.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190309_134342.jpg

Seems to be holding fine for now. Will see how it gets on before I try owt else. Next step would be to drill a hole through it and bolt/splitpin it.

I used some of those on the Corolla, got from eBay for about a fiver for a pair. Still holding the linkage together 3 years on

Took the Clio 172 out for a blast today to meet up with Dave_Hedgehoff31 Esq.

It's going really well after I fitted the new injectors.

But after a passenger ride in his C5, I cannot deny that I am 100% into the waft territory of my life. I'm too old to be blasting about in a raucous wee pocket-rocket and prefer taking it easy nowadays. I am also recovering from a minor operation Friday past and the hard suspension of the Clio was not ideal today.

The Audi is good at wafting too but it's not up there with the best of them, like my old 75 and such like. It looks and feels excellent though so I'm keeping that one.

I'm going to use the Clio this week and see how I feel.

Went to get the 2cv out this morning, and the garage door blew shut 3 times while I was getting it started. "It'll be fine!" I thought.  Drove up across Manston and had a bit of crosswind nearly blow me across the road, then down towards Margate where I had to fix the passenger window open as the wind kept opening it!  

Headed along the front, where I was struggling to stay on the road, it felt like I was being pushed backwards harder than the engine was pushing me forwards! Not that hard admittedly.  After really struggling to head inland, I thought "bugger this!" and got the Stepway out instead. No more problems as it is at least double the weight and not made of tin foil stretched over twigs!

Apparently the roof came off of Tesco! Quite a lot of damage around, but hopefully nobody hurt.

Didn't realise you were that close!  We regularly end up at Westwood Cross.  I was getting blown around this morning in the Golf of Many Dents and that's made mainly of iron.  2CV must have been fucking terrifying.

Mike had time to lend a hand. Even with a scaffold bar, me on the footbrake, and all Mike's strength neither front hub nut will budge. They're both FAR too tight. Going to see if a local garage can get them off with the big gun and then retorqued to the correct setting so we can do the wheel bearing and CV boot replacement at home. They're on that tight that with me on the foot brake and all Mike's strength on the scaffold bar you can hear the brakes beginning to let go. Someone has dogged these up WAY too tight.

Surprising the bearings have lasted as long as they have, being that tight they would be under huge pressure even when cold, once at motorway speeds the pressure would be horrific.

The way the Princess hub works the bearings are not crushed up by the hub nut. Clearance is set by the tolerances of the parts and the spacer piece between the bearings. Still shouldn't be that hard to undo however, but time and rust and gorillas in it's past.... I used to undo with a big ring spanner which I stood on and whilst standing on it, whacked the spanner with a big hammer. (Mind your toes)

My mate Alan has just bought a Porsche. Like my 944 his is not a proper Porsche either.

Sadly, his is a Macan.

Dismayed by the lukewarm reception his car receives, he has invited me to join him in setting up our own club.

post-4623-0-47437700-1552311926_thumb.jpg

We've solved all the petty falling out thing, by decreeing that there will only ever be two members.

There was an Austin ambassador in the guardian money help pages yesterday.

I saw my mum at the weekend. She has absolutely no interest in cars so I was quite surprised when she said, "I read something in the paper about an Austin Ambassador and now I can't get that blooming song out of my head!"