The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Braved the cold ground to get to grips with the last tiny leak from the Rover 620's unobtainium power steering pipe today. JB Weld was my weapon of choice this time, much less of a faff to use than Araldite as it squirts out equal measures of each chemical prior to getting busy with the wooden mixer thing, so no guesswork.

6 minutes to slap it on and hope for the best - did a lovely job, all nice and smooth. Needs 4-6 hrs to cure and 15 hrs to set solid so shall take it out for a spin tomorrow to check all good.

Assuming all good and no catastrophic leaks, shall book it in for an MoT at my lucky* testing station, F1 Autocentres in Bulwell for a morning next week.

I have had a couple of visitors today, both car people in the own way, the non Auto Shiter was pleased to park his shiny black BMW coupe on my drive to hide the horrid blue van that had appeared there and when ridiculed by me about the BMW to our other guest produced a picture of his MGB saying the BMW was just his work car. Our own GoGentley simply enquired what the car was in the picture!

Anyway I am sorry I do have a friend with a black BMW coupe and a MGB and I am surprised the decency police have not visited me concerned at the company I keep.

Now to the more interesting side of the day, yes GoGentley turned up with a Renault Extra van in regular use, great looking and fully functioning. He says he just has not had time to post about it. My guess is he was concerned at the jealousy it would cause on the forum! 

Now for the question of questions, WTF is it? I refer to the ammunition box bolted in and connected to the carburettor.

post-4787-0-03386900-1552154244_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-73749100-1552154256_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-59157600-1552154271_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-83307500-1552154293_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-26154800-1552154305_thumb.jpg

Recently got back after my neices birthday - witness my prowess with the cricket set I bought.

Anyhooo.

I found a new Message request from a stranger. Turns out she’s the daughter of the man who’s burnt out van I found on Thursday. She wanted to check the times as the police told her it was found burning on Thursday afternoon but I reported it burned out and cold at 8am.

It was stolen from shepperton Wednesday night - he’s a courier and had just paid for a new engine last week. Does anyone else find this a coincidence beyond belief?

Anyway, she sounds very nice online.....post-8687-0-00278500-1552165201_thumb.jpeg

I'm pretty crap at this mechanic-ing stuff but I achieved a fix today on the old Puggy 405 I bought from Davehedehog31.
The heater fan was offering the options of on full blast with the ignition, or off when you pulled the fuse out and a quick look at the HBOL suggested it was an easy enough fix so I spent half an hour twisted into all sorts of shapes liberating the blower from behind the glovebox and achieved a fix.

I know it's nothing compared to what some folks on here can do but I didn't end up covered in blood, or break half a dozen other bits in the process so I'm calling today a WIN. :-P

TtM1ZwB.jpghoqnskq.jpg

Here is the Innocenti showing off its shiny new offside headlight lens and its shiny new offside door mirror.

post-190-0-31398300-1552179872_thumb.jpg

If I'm honest the asymmetry of the glass is rather more noticeable once the light unit is back on the car than I had been hoping, but it'll do for now and is a lot better than the half-a-dozen-bits-of-glass-superglued-together which it replaced.

The mirror was another ebay.it find - it's a Taiwanese pattern part and is all plastic rather than the part-metal construction of the original, and the head is not quite the same shape, but it fits perfectly and the metal the genuine mirror is made from is not the strongest anyway.  And this one was 25 quid delivered, rather than the 120 or so that a NOS Innocenti mirror would've cost.

Managed to bodge the 944's wiper mechanism back together.

It simply clips back together but kept jumping out.

post-3133-0-85420900-1552203449_thumb.jpg

I bought one of these clips. I knew it wouldn't fit but was hoping I could fudge it.

post-3133-0-82428600-1552203590_thumb.jpg

A bit of fiddling with a pair of pliers and and angle grinder and it was on.

post-3133-0-36952900-1552203642_thumb.jpg

Seems to be holding fine for now. Will see how it gets on before I try owt else. Next step would be to drill a hole through it and bolt/splitpin it.

I had similar issues with wiper ball joints separating on a Vauxhall Nova back in the '90's. Even with some new parts they just came apart after a short while. I fixed it eventually by bending the end of the long arm to change the angle between the ball and socket. It looks like you might have the same issue. As the crank moves the ball is pushing close to the edge of the socket and trying to pull itself out. If you bend the arm so the ball on the crank is pushing more towards the base of the socket then the whole contraption might stay together.

My plan B had been to convert the arm to a rose joint held on with a bolt but thankfully I never needed to go that far.

Managed to bodge the 944's wiper mechanism back together.

It simply clips back together but kept jumping out.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190307_180719.jpg

I bought one of these clips. I knew it wouldn't fit but was hoping I could fudge it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190310_074036.jpg

A bit of fiddling with a pair of pliers and and angle grinder and it was on.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190309_134342.jpg

Seems to be holding fine for now. Will see how it gets on before I try owt else. Next step would be to drill a hole through it and bolt/splitpin it.

Right hand thread.  200lb/ft according to the book, which I should be able to do with a bar.  Thing is, I'm putting enough force in that I'm moving the car if it's not in reverse, and it's not enough force to crack off the nut.  I'm thinking it's been dogged up too tight in the past, this is part of the car I haven't disturbed before and I already know it's had bodge-work done on the front end mechanicals before so I should have expected this I suppose.

Still a teensy drip of power steering fluid so back under the 620 before the weather turned apocalyptic - all sealed up as good as I can now, so it's booked under for a Wednesday MoT

Will be disappointed if the tester isn't impressed with my pure engineering skills* of using chewing gum and epoxy on a rusted out unobtainium pipe, and superglue on some upper control arm dust covers....