The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Someone popped up in my thread over on the blue recently because they'd spotted a Princess in Finland. No really. I can't figure out what the wheels are that it's wearing and it's bugging me. Anyone know?

Look a bit VW maybe? My parents had a 1976 Passat with similar ones.

They do look very Mitsubishi L300, but like the Volvo suggestion they're a 5 stud, whichi s one too many. I'm pretty sure that all VW cars of that era were 4x100 including the Passat and the steels on those were smaller holes and more of them, even though the design is otherwise similar.

I'm pretty sure that all VW cars of that era were 4x100 including the Passat and the steels on those were smaller holes and more of them, even though the design is otherwise similar.

Yep, you're right. I found a picture of my early 80s Passat, I thought they looked familiar but they're actually very different.

Dislike :(

Non-interference?

What size engine, not all Toyotas kill themselves when the belt goes.

In fact, unless it's a 1.8 in which case it may or may not depending on engine code there isn't a 4 cyl belted petrol Toyota engine that hits its valves.

4E-FE 1332cc in the Corolla. Some sources say interference, others say non-interference. Stanky of this parish has said they're non-interference, as have 2 Toyota forums I perused. Thankfully it happened at tickover and not high speed.

I can't get the sodding crank timing pulley off though, so I need to borrow a breaker bar and impact socket to get that off.

Audi hood isn't as watertight as I thought.

Nice wee waterfall from the driver's door seal when I moved off afternthe car was parked all day in heavy rain.

The seal looks fine so I will cut a sliver from a spare one that came off my old Astra Coupe and fill out the hollow in the seal so water can't sit in it.

I have gelled really well with this car so far though!

bramz's latest purchase was a local car to me, so it'd be rude not to tag along.

20190306_191020.jpg

The seller said the expansion tank was bubbling up, so fingers crossed he makes it home OK. It's a tidy car otherwise, and giffer owned from new.

That was a really boring drive back. In a good way of course. It literally felt as if I blew out all the cobwebs on the way back as it was stodgy on the motorway to begin with, then loosened up really well. Thermostat is pretty cack though, it ran worryingly cold at speeds above 50.

Other than that and a terrible exhaust rattle it all seems rather happy.

800 immobilisers are absolute trash mind you.

Someone popped up in my thread over on the blue recently because they'd spotted a Princess in Finland.  No really.  I can't figure out what the wheels are that it's wearing and it's bugging me.  Anyone know?  They're not Volvo 240.  On the assumption there's no adaptors, they'll be 4x114.3 and since they don't look too massive, they'll likely either be 14" as per Princess, or perhaps a 15".  I'm guessing they're off something Japanese.  I don't really know what sort of cars are about in Finland.

I think they could be off the first FWD Galant.

440px-1986_Mitsubishi_Sigma_GLX_%2816541

My brain works incredibly slowly so it has taken me a few days to make what should be a very simple decision. I concluded that the only reason I wanted to sell my 172 is because I was afraid it would break again. Unless I replace it with something boring and new, then the next car will be no different in that respect.

Another shiter put it much better "It will break again, it's when it stops being fun when it's working, then you know it's time to sell". A decent bit of closure there!

The Audi simply works, looks gr9 in my eyes and it also wafts rather well so that provides some comfort that I can still get about.

Almost forgot about the Corsa! It will want an MOT, hopefully it won't need too much in light of the low mileage it has covered since the last time and it has had new tyres too. I am scheduled to take it to it's annual trip to the Viva Vauxhall Show in Crail on 12th May, unfortunately that's the day after it's MOT :shock:

Not sure if it's a grump or a grin so in here'll do

Saw a broken car advertised for £250. Contact made and research done, I reckoned I could get it running and drive it home.

Turned up, told him I'd try and get it running and agreed a price-£200

Replaced 2 fuses and got it running however it's still not right-no dash lights, no headlights/taillights and a stuck brake so driving home wan't an option. Agreed I'd get back to him when I'd arranged collection.

In between this fucking about in the pissing rain we had to jump start his car for him too as it's fucked. 

He said he had a mate who could transport it (15 miles) and would get me a quote.

By the time i'd got home the ad was updated to show it was running and the price had gone up.

He then sent me this message

post-7629-0-73719900-1551947541_thumb.jpg

I replied this morning and the following exchange was had.

post-7629-0-28965900-1551947605_thumb.jpg

What a prick. 

Last night my wife informed me that my daughter's yellow Bini Cooper which I paid 425 for a clutch on a month ago is makibg aweful noises at motorway speeds.

Apparently she's tried to talk to me but I've fobbed her off.

Well that's because I thought it was a bit a back lash because before the clutch went she made me listen to it and it was clearly a bit worn but hey Midlands fucking gearbox circa 2001.

Anyway apparently I'm to help buy a replacement car.

I'll listen to it again today.

I wonder if it's worse after the clutch change. Maybe they did something wrong. Maybe it's not the gearbox.

I wondered if I could have the Bini and restore it to an as new state.

Get rid of the mx5. Use it at weekends.

I wonder if I should sack off the moanega which needs some Work and replace it with a 650i or an Monaro

I wonder I wonder.

Burnt out transit on the way to work this morning (possibly unrelated to the traveller incursion on the playing field down the road last night). Why take the engine out?

Usual MO from our dag loiking friends...steal a transit, have the engine out for one of their own and torch the remains.