The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

New Lucas blades ordered the Bosch ones are making a racket after only 12month on the car, cleaning the screen/wipers has done jack. I can see the driver one skipping too.

Looking for a cheap (new) stereo which has USB/MP3 capability and perhaps Bluetooth, any suggestions?

The best wipers I've ever purchased came from Asda. Better than Bosch and GM

I do 20k miles a year. Tend to replace them every 15k.

If i started my 406 and then removed the battery would it continue to be turned on? Say, to drive it to a scrapyard to save its good battery...

This sounds suicidal to me. 

Get some rubber gloves or something else that doesn't conduct to hold the tools if you want to go through with it.

(I don't see why not, though),

I hope someone that knows more than me is along shortly to give actual advice.

Why not say you'd like to keep the battery when you get there?

Cos I wasn't sure if they knocked money off or not.

Saying that though when I took the laguna in I just parked it up and wandered in, they barely looked at it. Could park up, whip the battery off and into the Zafira and then saunter into the office

Nippa has been running really lumpy from cold start and also affecting acceleration when warmed. No obvious loose connections and HT leads, distributor cap & arm, spark plugs etc changed 10 months ago. Wondered if could be one of temperature sensors? Only engine service item it's not had whilst I've had it in 2 1/2 years is a fuel filter. Purchased from Euros on "sale" and running tons better. Can actually make it accelerate, novelty! Should be cold enough in the morning to see if it's cured start up bother.

Perfect cold start - was fuel starvation. Well chuffed coz it's not often I manage to fix anything car wise.

In the pub last night and I mentioned to a boy I know about the Jag x300 looking forlorn in his neighbours driveway. I'd spotted it while walking the dog around the village.

"Oh there's another one in the garage too, i'll find out about them for you"

If anything comes of this I can lay the blame squarely at the good ladys feet. If she hadn't wanted the dog I'd never have walked him past the house with the broken Jags...

In the pub last night and I mentioned to a boy I know about the Jag x300 looking forlorn in his neighbours driveway. I'd spotted it while walking the dog around the village.

"Oh there's another one in the garage too, i'll find out about them for you"

If anything comes of this I can lay the blame squarely at the good ladys feet. If she hadn't wanted the dog I'd never have walked him past the house with the broken Jags...

Just imagine if there is an XJR lurking in there, or one with a manual transmission. I insist you investigate and report the findings here! :D

no one has been murdered in my bathroom ,,,, its my blood ... spent ages cleaning it up

just tried one of those  tooth brushes powered by a miniature electric buzz saw engine ........ 

new battery and firm bristles as well !!!

I think I see a automobile use for these wicked little things .....

Having worked almost every day since the new year I have most of this month off, meaning I finally have time for car stuff. Took the jag for a SUPER LASER wheel alignment as it had a slight pull to the right and an annoying wobble between 60-70.I didn't realise just what a difference it would make, took it a good hard drive up some country roads and it handles like an absolute dream now. Very happy. Guy who done the alignment was very complimentary towards it when it was on the ramp as well which was nice. A service will be next up for it.

post-23087-0-19127000-1551715587_thumb.jpg

post-23087-0-16278500-1551715601_thumb.jpg

Got a bit desperate trying to take the wheel off Mike's Range Rover.  Mike had already tried hammers, more hammers, kicking, hammers again, driving around the with wheel nuts slackened off, driving around with NO wheel nuts, and an extensive array of swearing.  No dice.  So, let's see if the Princess can help.

post-5335-0-72791300-1551717197_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-14226600-1551717198_thumb.jpg

post-5335-0-51079900-1551717198_thumb.jpg

Nope.  All that did was make some smelly clutch smells and drag the Range Rover and the axle stand it was on across the floor.  Erm.  Okay then.  We've left it with no wheel nuts, a jack just underneath the car but not touching anything, and the weight of the car on the wheel.  Perhaps it'll free off overnight somehow.

If i started my 406 and then removed the battery would it continue to be turned on? Say, to drive it to a scrapyard to save its good battery...

Is it a diesel ? I've run my xud with no battery after starting.

Enough lecky to keep the solenoid open is good to go.

You could just try it. 

I've had a couple of scam texts lately. 

The first was, allegedly, from Paypal asking if I could

verify a payment to somebody I've never heard of to

the sum of £20.04p. Click on link below. Yeh right !!

Got in touch with Paypal and, yep, scam. Trying to

get bank details. Immediately changed password

to be on the safe side.

Second was, allegedly, from HSBC who I have never 

been with. Click on link below. FRO.

I can see people getting caught out and clicking the link.

You'll likely have the alternator either frazzle itself or the engine ECU in short order.

Got a bit desperate trying to take the wheel off Mike's Range Rover.  Mike had already tried hammers, more hammers, kicking, hammers again, driving around the with wheel nuts slackened off, driving around with NO wheel nuts, and an extensive array of swearing.  No dice.  So, let's see if the Princess can help.

attachicon.gif20180304-01.jpg

attachicon.gif20180304-02.jpg

attachicon.gif20180304-03.jpg

Nope.  All that did was make some smelly clutch smells and drag the Range Rover and the axle stand it was on across the floor.  Erm.  Okay then.  We've left it with no wheel nuts, a jack just underneath the car but not touching anything, and the weight of the car on the wheel.  Perhaps it'll free off overnight somehow.

10 out of 10 for effort and creative thinking!

Conversation between brother and colleagues:

Colleague: "How much was fuel for your car this week?"

Brother: "Well I filled up two thirds of a tank...."

Colleague: "So how much was it?"

Brother: "Only £75....."

Colleagues: "ROFL"

So family RAC membership is due for the 4 of us

National Recovery, £185

So before phoning I went on quidco, looked at AA 40% cashback on the introductory rate Recovery, home start and Onward Travel (hotel or hire car) Comes in at £137.40 after the cash back. 

Phones RAC, I'm now paying £138 for 15 months, for Recovery, and Onward Travel (but no home start - not ever needed it)

Basically they make it up 

You'll likely have the alternator either frazzle itself or the engine ECU in short order.

Its only got to last 1.3 miles!

But I picked up a scrap battery on the way home tonight and saved a very kind man a trip to the tip apparently! Then a good friend messaged me saying he had a scrap battery too (too late) but also needed one so if the bosch in the 406 fits his missus's Zafira A gsi that'll be £20 right there and a happy mate.