The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

SiC: unlikely.  I don't get particulary excited by Peugeots, they're far too dependable and pedestrian for the most part and I much prefer car ownership to be a fraught and harrowing adventure through all sorts of anxiety.

If you wanted a truly harrowing adventure you should have had bramz Alfa 164 off him  :-D

I think I mentioned that I found a couple of spare injectors in my Clio 172 'Lucky Box'.

One looked a bit ropey but the other one looked better than the 4 currently on the car.

I followed our resident Speed Clio botherer 320Touring's guide on how to replace the injectors on the F4R which made the job quick and easy. I was however initially flummoxed as somebody had fitted 13mm bolts to the fuel rail protector instead of 10mm. Cue a knitted brow and much squinting at my deep 10mm socket before trying and 11, 12 and finally a 13mm.

I'm still pretending the car is misfiring by not tidying away any of my tools in the garage, not clearing the eml code and leaving the centre console parts strewn over the passenger footwell. I'll close the job off properly when Payday arrives and I can buy a couple of brand new Magnetti Marelli injectors to keep for the next time one goes lame.

Not worth getting that horrendous rot attended to? I dunno man - it makes me feel pretty uneasy and I’m not in the slightest bit risk averse.

I have every intention to have it sorted, but I need to use the thing in the meantime and the MOT expires on Saturday. It needs to be kept on the road sometimes so an MOT is sort of necessary.

I could use the Civic in lieu but it's not too secure and I don't want it getting messy, it's a very tidy car.

With the rather pleasant weather today I took the opportunity to finally swap over the 406 coupes rather manky and mildly blowing exhaust for the stainless cat back system I'd acquired off ebay over a year ago... Needless to say I'm as happy that it's now on the car as much as the missus is happy that it's now not taking up space in the back room! _20190225_173142.JPG

_20190225_182822.JPG

Took the car out for a test run and thankfully it sounds stock, and for once didn't knock or rattle. _20190225_184607.JPG

Next jobs mechanically now the weather is improving are to finally freshen up the rear suspension, and if the weather continues to behave itself this week swap over the drivers front seat for the rip free one I have ready and waiting in the sidelines.

Handsome motors these are

Week off work, so time to get down and dirty with the fleet.

Had to do some fleet juggling to get the 620 into the parking bay at the end of the cul de sac which acts as my impromptu 'garage' (and where the all but abandoned 214 has been living for the last 4 months - that jump pack I bought is f-ing ace, started first time), the job today being the rear brake pads which were, according to the last MoT, wearing a bit thin.

Indeed, I thought they looked a little ropy so bought some new pads. After battling the usual rusty caliper guide pin bolts, got to the pads - they were nowhere near as worn out as I thought - probably good for another year. Replaced them anyway.

Also cleaned out the rear wheel arches, a common rot spot on the 620 - completely spotless on mine. 

Had a look at another advisory with the wheels off - upper arm dust covers deteriorating - been a repeater for the last few years. One was passable, the other not quite so. Found some superglue and a black marker pen. That'll do* for now, but unlikely to fool a tester... MoT due 19 March but I want to try and get it in this week if possible.

Of course the dust covers themselves are now completely unobtainium, so the only way to do it seems to be to buy the whole rear upper arms for each side, £25 a pop for genuine parts, so may have to go down that route. There's also one on the front which is on the advisory list so looks like I may end up doing the lot. Great*.

Tomorrow it's time to sort out the power steering leak, and if I can be bothered swap out the washer fluid bottle with a used replacement I bagged for minimum outlay.

Meanwhile, I was convinced the high level brake light on the Streetwise (LED lights, part of the spoiler) was FUBARed. However, after some judicious work with some mirrors I was pleased to see it was working AOK. One less thing to worry about on that car, MoT due April 2019.

Would anyone be intrested in a thread about the trials and tribulations of a plumber/gasman on the open site?

I've been plumbing for 30 years and working self employed for 16 of those.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I always enjoy such my Job/profession threads :)

always gives a great insight into it all, with the good humour providing a good laugh  :mrgreen:

You can actually buy a universal assortment of balljoint dust covers now including the clips.

I think we got ours from Beales UK.

That's my plan B bodge for my split ball joint cover! I'll try the whole joints first, but if not, the joint itself isn't actually fucked, just the boot...

If you can't fix it, polish it instead.

pumablack1.jpg

When you put it into 5th, the gear lever moves over to the right. There's a bolt underneath that's come loose/gone missing somebody said.

Would anyone be intrested in a thread about the trials and tribulations of a plumber/gasman on the open site?

Just like everyone else, I'd love to hear some stories.

My continuing spell of reasonable health and the good weather has tempted me to tinker with the Tipo.  Since buying it back from my son's friend last month and having a fair bit done to the front suspension at the garage for its MOT, the car has been pulling to the left.  It is not excessive but does it all the time and is not made worse by braking.  I've also followed the Tipo in my other car to see if it is crabbing.  It isn't.  The pre-MOT front tyres were replaced because they had worn on their inner edges, suggesting too much toe-out (camber is not adjustable and nothing is bent or incorrectly assembled).  It ran dead straight before the MOT.  The place that did all the work re-tracked it after changing the track rod ends.  Whilst underneath the car the other day, I increased the toe-in on the nearside wheel and was going to decrease the other side by an equal number of turns on the adjustment, however, whereas the left side locking nut was easy to move, the offside was rusted solid to the track rod.  I have been applying releasing fluid (Plusgas) to try to  get it to move.  This makes me wonder whether the garage had the same problem and simply put the new track rod ends on, then did all the adjustment on the nearside, whilst also ensuring that the steering wheel was straight when doing so.  The power steering does not power to a straight ahead position - I checked to see if it was that clever by lifting both front wheels off the ground.  It seems that the straight ahead running is solely achieved by steering geometry.  My left side only tweak has reduced the pull at the expense of having a crooked steering wheel.  This will be an on-going saga possibly governed by rapid tyre wear  :-D.

Job no.2 was to tidy up a small rust patch on the rear offside door's lower edge.  Although it looked ugly, it turned out to be surface rust with only slight pitting.  I wire brushed and sanded it smooth, applied Kurust then some zinc primer.  A can of topcoat that I thought I had used on the Tipo a few years ago turned out to be completely wrong.  It now has a weather resistant, tidy but very obviously green patch until I can find a match for  the Tipo's dark greeny blue metallic finish.  Halfords had a good selection of spray cans and I took a bit of the Tipo in to compare colours.  Nothing with a close enough match was available.  Looks like I'll have to find the paint code and get some mixed or possibly go to a body shop which has a clever computer for colour matching.

These bits of minor tinkering have been enjoyable.   Driving the Tipo is nice as well although I still prefer the Stellar's front engine rear drive feel.  Unfortunately, the Stellar needed more attention than I was able to give it last year and another forum member now has the option of giving it some TLC.  It was running fine last June, only really needing an oil leak investigating and the rusty rear arches sorting out.   

Well after yesterday's exhaust fitting shenanigans whetted my appetite for getting some other small jobs done on my Roffle winning mellow yellow 406 Coupé, I thought it was high time I swapped over its drivers seat for one which didn't have a hole in its side bolster, and neither was stuck in its upright position prohibiting persons entering and exiting the rear seats. post-20412-0-46239200-1551206490_thumb.jpg

Its something I'd wanted to attend to since picking the car up 20 months ago. However finding a tidy enough seat proved more difficult to source than I'd ever expected. The Uks dedicated Coupe breaker didn't have anything tidy and the task isn't made any easier by Peugeot making 406s in three different batches. Mine is an early pre multiplex D8,a changeover D8.5 followed in 99 and then from 2000 the fully multiplexed D9 appeared.

Most cars broken with tidy interiors these days are D9s.. and nothing D9 is electrically compatible with a D8- seats, mirrors, headlamps even.

I was about to give up until chance advert for a car outwardly knackered but with seemingly good seats appeared on ebay, I nade an offer on just the seats... jumped in the car and took the trip from Swansea to Scunthorpe to pick 2 front seats up.. needing just the drivers. post-20412-0-08896300-1551207948_thumb.jpg

That was twelve months ago and they've been in storage til today. It was a straight forward swap.. thankfully all the electrics work as they should, the backrest folds backword and forward.. and as a Brucie bonus even the heated seat element still operates which hadn't on the original! As its from a slightly lower milage car the seat also seems more supportive too. post-20412-0-67286200-1551208348_thumb.jpg

Flushed with success I took her out for a run in the sun!.... Next immediate job..??.. attend to some bodywork issues methinks....