The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Went to swap insurance from Rover to BX and can't because it's too old.  That's a first for me.  No harm, it can stay uninsured and untaxed until I'm ready to MoT it I suppose, puts money in my pocket in the meantime.  Insurer was eSure, for those that might be interested.  I'll likely insure the BX with Lancaster, like I have the Princess, since they seem a reasonable company as these things go.

I *might* have fixed the Princess.  Took the float valve and seat out and inspected them.  Nothing really amiss until put alongside the replacement that arrived today and it's just about visible that the previous new one has a very slightly deformed tip.  Spent some time fitting the replacement valve and seat, putting the new float back in instead of the old one, checking all the settings, and then leaving the car to idle for ten minutes.  No cutting out, no stuck needle symptoms, so hopefully that means it's resolved.

I *might* have fixed the Princess.  Took the float valve and seat out and inspected them.  Nothing really amiss until put alongside the replacement that arrived today and it's just about visible that the previous new one has a very slightly deformed tip.  Spent some time fitting the replacement valve and seat, putting the new float back in instead of the old one, checking all the settings, and then leaving the car to idle for ten minutes.  No cutting out, no stuck needle symptoms, so hopefully that means it's resolved.

Surprising the difference they make. When I did the Mercury needle last year the old one looked alright. Comparing it to a new one though showed a very faint ring worn around the old one. If you ran a fingernail over the ring you could just about feel wear in the same place. Somehow I’d missed it the first time.

Using the new bits completely eradicated the fault.

3 years ago today - in the beautiful city of Cambridge (now my home) - I spotted this wonderfully shabby chic 1984 Austi Mini 1000. I remarked at the time how my Nan had one in red, and you never ever ever ever see original ‘unimproved’ minis any more and you CERTAINLY never see them rolling on 10 inchers.

post-19618-0-03692600-1550946516_thumb.jpeg

Fast forward three years and my Nan’s old MK4 is parked outside, and this has been tested 3 further times; each time being fixed for another year of whining and winning around the cobbled streets of the city.

I like to think it’s owned by the Professor of Asian and Middle Eastern studies at St John’s College or something. That or a Robin Williams type character doing a later life post graduate.

Whatever. What a fucking shambolicly gorgeous old hector.

3 years ago today - in the beautiful city of Cambridge (now my home) - I spotted this wonderfully shabby chic 1984 Austi Mini 1000. I remarked at the time how my Nan had one in red, and you never ever ever ever see original ‘unimproved’ minis any more and you CERTAINLY never see them rolling on 10 inchers.

attachicon.gif8399EAAB-97EF-4391-B702-5D1A12517E4E.jpeg

Fast forward three years and my Nan’s old MK4 is parked outside, and this has been tested 3 further times; each time being fixed for another year of whining and winning around the cobbled streets of the city.

I like to think it’s owned by the Professor of Asian and Middle Eastern studies at St John’s College or something. That or a Robin Williams type character doing a later life post graduate.

Whatever. What a fucking shambolicly gorgeous old hector.

Perhaps you could leave a note on the window offering a meet-up and photo shoot?

Just got back from breaking into my uncle's Rover 25 to rescue the car keys that have been locked in the boot.

The Father in law has been using the rover as his vectra has definitely jumped its timing on the chain and is awaiting a new chain. 40 mins driving to look for spare keys which I could not find and I get back to car to see the spare keys sitting in the bl**dy front cup holder!! So that's both sets locked in the car... Coat hanger and kite pole employed and keys fished out about 20 mins later.

Spare key was in the front as a reminder to get new battery for flat key fob... been there about a month apparently!

And no photos as in my hurry to go get keys I forgot to pick up my phone :(

Popped upto sittingbourne to help out a friend with his car, Not many pics as wa busy, spark plugs done on v6 ghia X, rear 3 where very fiddly, bonnet bra fitted, headlamp bulbs swapped, mudflaps fitted to 'joy',mate garry flattend an unsightly hole previous owner created on the rear bumper, ive covered with cat sticker..

post-4824-0-56008400-1550958175_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-41206300-1550958312_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-41602100-1550958365_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-17768600-1550958418_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-01349200-1550958514_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-75323300-1550958717_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-09065600-1550958769_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-61213500-1550958794_thumb.jpg

post-4824-0-54371400-1550958832_thumb.jpg

I thought that they stopped stone chips and changed the stream line so bugs went over the car instead of into the windscreen. Then I saw a bra on a beetle.

Incidentaly, when driving on the motorway and a juicy hits the windscreen, am I the only person that says that gag "I wonder what the last thing was that went through his mind.... His arse"!

Every-single-time.

I believe bonnet bras are really for where you get truly rotten roads with very loose surface gravel or loose sand. Idea is to stop the front end paint getting totally sand blasted. Hence popular and needed in some parts of the US, Middle East, etc.

Naturally very little point of one in the UK. Apart from if you like the look of them of course...

I cannot decide whether to keep or sell this. It's flipping lovely and drives without any issues (apart from wonky temp and fuel guages!). I've definitely tapped into it's 80s Germanic character and it would be a shame not to let my wife enjoy it for a bit as she loves the thing.

However I would really like another 75. There aren't any about at present that I'm attracted to but as Tam from this Borough told me "they're bastarding things but they get under your skin".

I guess it will be a bit of a waiting game.

post-3238-0-01656600-1550996636_thumb.jpg

Spoke to some Bus people where I store my cars. They had these:

20190223_160020.jpg

20190223_160026.jpg

We had a good chinwag about Birmingham, busses, Leyland Nationals, Rovers etc... after they spotted my Vectra thinking it was a V6!

Ooft thats V1 reversing out the garage! I remember e-following that bus as far back as 2001 when it was still a partially restored shell in Black Prince's workshop. Despite being surrounded with Glasgow examples when living there, V1 is my favourite Ailsa.

Ooft thats V1 reversing out the garage! I remember e-following that bus as far back as 2001 when it was still a partially restored shell in Black Prince's workshop. Despite being surrounded with Glasgow examples when living there, V1 is my favourite Ailsa.

V1 was originally rebuilt and returned to the road using the mechanical units from... Glasgow's A10.

A10 had an SCG 'box fitted when V1 was Voith, but I believe the purists have now ruined it and refitted it with a Voith now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I cannot decide whether to keep or sell this. It's flipping lovely and drives without any issues (apart from wonky temp and fuel guages!). I've definitely tapped into it's 80s Germanic character and it would be a shame not to let my wife enjoy it for a bit as she loves the thing.

However I would really like another 75. There aren't any about at present that I'm attracted to but as Tam from this Borough told me "they're bastarding things but they get under your skin".

I'd say keep it for another month or two-gives you a chance to hopefully get some roof down action in nice weather and if you still haven't bonded you'll be selling a nice convertible with summer round the corner...

Wait til Tuesday man.

c5c7252a00752c42db9a92a510a8d6ec.jpg