The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Something is wrong with my lovely rebuilt carburettor.  I suspect it's a sticking float needle.  Everything was perfectly fine until the last 2 miles when the car managed to ftp 4 times.  You'll be driving along perfectly fine and then the throttle response gets worse and worse until the car cuts out.  Pop the bonnet and there's fuel pouring out the overflow.  Wait for the fuel to stop coming out and restart the car and it's all fine again.  Most annoying of all, it's not a predictable thing, it just happens, and then it doesn't, which again points more at a float needle than anything else I'd've thought.

Super annoying at any rate, because when I set off on my errands today it was driving lovely, at town and motorway speeds, with no indication of any issues at all and was quite enjoyable.

Something is wrong with my lovely rebuilt carburettor.  I suspect it's a sticking float needle.  Everything was perfectly fine until the last 2 miles when the car managed to ftp 4 times.  You'll be driving along perfectly fine and then the throttle response gets worse and worse until the car cuts out.  Pop the bonnet and there's fuel pouring out the overflow.  Wait for the fuel to stop coming out and restart the car and it's all fine again.  Most annoying of all, it's not a predictable thing, it just happens, and then it doesn't, which again points more at a float needle than anything else I'd've thought.

Super annoying at any rate, because when I set off on my errands today it was driving lovely, at town and motorway speeds, with no indication of any issues at all and was quite enjoyable.

Is the float sticking? I had that problem with one of the modern SU carb ones:

I seem to remember that you just swapped the float over from the old one. Not sure you can do that as the manufacturing tolerances between carbs could well be different. John Twist has a good video on setting the HIF floats on his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Universitymotorsltd/videos

(Can't find the exact video this moment).

Also not unknown for the float valves to bugger up and not seat. The latest modern ones are apparently OK though. If you whip the bottom of the carb off, they're very easy to remove the float valve from.

Of course giving a whack on the bottom of the carb might cause the float to unstick if it is.

Spoke to friend that rebuilt the carb and we've worked out it's a duff float needle.  Process of elimination has ruled out other things, including those suggested.  Rarely, he's had bad needles and hasn't had a problem for quite some time, looks like I just ended up being unlucky.  Fortunately it's not too difficult to replace the needle and he's already sent me a replacement which should be here by the weekend.  It could also be the reason the new float he fitted appeared not to be set properly, it could have been the needle was sticking at the same time.  The float I swapped was this carb's original, so machining tolerances wouldn't matter.

Bear in mind he rebuilds these things for a living, and a hobby, to a very high standard.  You can imagine how cross he gets when he has to send parts back - which is ever more frequent these days - to try and get a car to work.  He's pretty disappointed this has happened too because he feels it reflects badly on his work, which is nonsense, friend or not I have nothing but praise for the work he does.

After being all enthusiastic about getting the beetle sorted I moved on to the rattling passenger window.

Stripped door, had a look, tightened a bolt.

Tightened another bolt and.............................................................

post-17510-0-75266300-1550776915_thumb.jpeg

BANG!

Mutha Fucka!!!

New door glass required!!!! Balls.

After being all enthusiastic about getting the beetle sorted I moved on to the rattling passenger window.

Stripped door, had a look, tightened a bolt.

Tightened another bolt and.............................................................

attachicon.gifIMG-20190221-WA0001.jpeg

BANG!

Mutha Fucka!!!

New door glass required!!!! Balls.

Well it’s not rattling any more I suppose.

Got the Golf back.  Just over £1K from the garage for the flywheel, clutch and slave cylinder.  Plus CV boots and they tightened my handbrake (which they just did.  It was on my list of things to do anyway).

They showed me the old flywheel.  Fuck me.  Utterly shagged.  Being a DMF, it's supposed to have two reciprocating masses, right?  Wrong.  It had seized, twisted over the stubs that hold it together and was operating as one, massively unbalanced mass.  Words cannot described how fucked it was.

Car drives nicely now.  And there's no rattling.

post-24320-0-16683600-1550781101_thumb.jpeg

No.2 MoT of the year achieved today.    The Cowley now has what must be approaching its 60th pass certificate (sadly I don't have them all....).   Needed track rod end but I got the garage to do the oil change as well 'cos I fear the canister - I hate changing B series filters!    I see the salt is clearing up nicely too so I will probably drive it to work this weekend and go and sit in it in my breaks.   

So: medical appointment today in Leeds, both multistorey carparks that are close have a height restriction of 2.0m - my works van, a Transit Connect, has a height of 1.86m according to the manuel, but the orange flashy site lights add a bit to that, so I took the Puglet 106.

It doesn't accelerate as fast as the Connect up to 70, but is far better above an indicted 70 than the Connect... Funny that!