The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Can't think where else to put this but these pics popped up on my Freindface timeline from a detailer and thought they were worth sharing. Audi A4? I think?

FB_IMG_1550656064563.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656068078.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656071593.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656074902.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656079622.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656082795.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656086980.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656090178.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656096172.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656099311.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656118666.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656121309.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656125089.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656128274.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656144404.jpg

FB_IMG_1550656146945.jpg

Whoever it was that went through that cesspit and dragged it round to looking like roses, deserves a medal.

Those photos have given me leprosy

The Microcar collection in Maidstone have replied to my email, and although initially put off by our forum name have agreed that our hearts are in the right place ;-).

I now need to call and discuss the potential visit, I'm thinking about weekends in May (not bank holiday ones).

Will do an Event thread in due course if all goes well.

Going up the bank on the A174 by Ellerby I decided to kick it down, This was not a good idea, it won't have been kicked down in the last 17 years, if ever. It stuck, not the throttle, just the kick down. I was about 20 miles from home in a 35 year old 5L car that will only change up at 6000 rpm. Great.

I pulled off the road and after a bit of pondering I found the kickdown switch jammed down under the pedal, pulled it up, job jobbed.

I had a Rover SD1 V8 which I did something similar on - that had also not had much recent use, although it hadn't been laid up as long as your Merc.  On that it turned out to be the kickdown cable which was sticking - I had to pop the bonnet and feed the cable back into the gearbox with a pair of pliers.  Fun times.

The Microcar collection in Maidstone have replied to my email, and although initially put off by our forum name have agreed that our hearts are in the right place ;-).

I now need to call and discuss the potential visit, I'm thinking about weekends in May (not bank holiday ones).

Will do an Event thread in due course if all goes well.

Changed clutch in the Mazda as could feel it failing to engage and slipping. Once apart, clutch plates looked fine with minimal wear but diaphragm spring 'fingers' were all wonky, prolly why I had a notchy gear change as was not disengaging correctly (I thought it was synchro wear before clutch failure). All changed now with Borg and Beck kit and working fine with smooth changes.

Main challenge was space, no power and tantrums.

lack%20of%20space_zps1wkhkslf.jpg

gearbox%20out_zpsxsszzu3p.jpg

Leasons learned:

• MAPP gas was vital to get rusty bolts undone

• ¾ bar to undo hub nut is a must. I broke a Sealey ½ drive in half.

• Engine support beams are freekin awesome. Didn't fancy fuckin about with blocks or wood under the sump.

• I removed cup from trolley jack via the split pin and bolted old kitchen cuppord to it to make a bodge gearbox jack. Worked quite well.

• Metal alignment tools made things so much easier.

Was an absolute PITA and many garage charges are well worth the cost. I did get a load of tools and experience out of it and a small saving. However, this came at the expense of a big ball ache . I do feel proud of myself for getting it done. The wisdom and experience of my old man helped me get it back on the road and not throw a wobbler and scrap it. Learned a shit load from him.

The recent rear coil spring replacement on the pink corsa has obviously given the ungrateful bastard a taste for TLC - today's MOT was a resounding failure with some exhaust, a front coil spring and an outer CV boot being required. Still, the result is a few 'firsts' for me - first time I've removed a coilover damper, first time I've used a spring compressor* and first time I've fitted a CV boot without having the whole thing in pieces.

I'm fairly sure the spring went while he was testing it, as there were no nasty noises when I drove to the MOT station - I'm just hoping that the massive clonking noise I heard on the way back from the MOT was the remains of said coil spring making itself known. Otherwise, I'll know that the MOT tester has definitely got it in for me and has managed to damage something else. (He gave me a right runaround a few years ago with a pretty rusty MR2 and a sill patch that was not seam welded to his satisfaction. And no, the welding on the sill was not my shoddy work, but that of someone coded for welding and very well practised in keeping MR2s in MOTs).

* I can see why these things have something of a reputation for causing injury. The opportunities for stabbing, crushing, breaking, fracturing, blinding and killing are many. The two guys in the local spares shop that sold it me, along with the new spring, said in unison and in serious tone "Be careful!" and then both shuddered. I was right cautious in its use.

Still, the result is a few 'firsts' for me - first time I've removed a coilover damper, first time I've used a spring compressor*

Only used one once on a motorbike shock as a lad. Memory may fail what I used exactly or I may have cobbled something appalling together. I still strongly remember feeling uneasy about the whole process, waiting to lose an eye or whatever.

wrenchvolt, just thinking about you today old fruit. Glad to see you've still got the Mazda. Good news on the clutch job too, very satisfying doing that I imagine. I realised today I also need a decent blow torch. Tried changing the back box on the Impreza but seized bolts soon put a stop to that!

I think I'll get one. Bit frustrating otherwise getting the car on ramps then game over for the day.

Impreza is a 2 litre non-turbo wagon, and automatic for added desirability. It's a nice old thing and MoT is up next week. Apart from the exhaust I think it'll pass, although it is a bit crusty underneath.

There's one like that near me, done about 60k and the bloke leaves it parked up for months on end. Always wants me to jump start it or release bonnet catch with WD40. Thing is, it always fires up and not a hint of smoke despite being left for such long stretches of time. He got quick fit to do a timing belt on it and he got pumped hard. Over a grand for the work I think.

Very recently, I have discovered that Facebook Marketplace is a thing (late developer) and for no reason whatsover last night, I perused it to waste a few minutes.

Lo and behold, a mere hour earlier, an AX GT not more than 10 minutes from me was listed as spares/FREE!!! I couldn't type the message quick enough and the owner messaged back, albeit with scant information each time. Not wanting to sound rude or owt, I played it cool and said I'd come and look over it today. Cue one very sleepless night, whilst I imagined something needing very little work, all the while working out how to offload the Visa super quick and then fill said free space with an AX, despite promising that nothing was replacing the Visa...

On reflection, I needn't have worried. Here's some photos I took today:

40198212483_1fde027d45_z.jpg

Crashed Daihatsu Mira is presumably on offer too. I didn't ask about that one, despite fond memories of my Dad's '88 Domino.

40198217003_b5c83c8f38_z.jpg

Sadly, it's deregistered ($$ to rectify and a general pain, all because someone handed back the plates, which isn't a legal requirement, even...) but it's also pretty ropey and has been off the road fr 10 years, so I guess it's had it time. Reg number was RU7235, for any of you number plate lickers.

40198215363_5358b45239_z.jpg

Body kit has been painted black, as someone obviously didn't appreciate faded grey French plastics.

46248935315_67767c2791_z.jpg

The owner reckoned the radiator shat out and he lost interest after that, so not sure if anything was cooked or not. Engine bay is leafier than Surbiton.

32221120457_9aef098492_b.jpg

Interior is a mess but front seats have no tears, etc.

40198218313_3e24d06c5b_b.jpg

It even has air con! So I'm guessing this must be a Japanese import? Rego said it was a '91 first registered in '93, which adds up.

Anyway, it's a big no from me (and a BIG sigh of relief) but I've let other French car botherers over here know of it's existence, so hopefully I'll be taking a trip back to plunder some parts, before the scrap man comes next week. Or does anyone need anything posting back to the UK?!

And serendipitously, here's what I was driving exactly 10 years ago:

35608218156_1d5afdb650_b.jpg

Which means I must have been an AS member for almost a decade, as I signed up to sell it on here in 2009 for £175 but got no takers. How times change!

I remember test driving that AX. Well, I say driving, I didn't quite manage it as couldn't use the clutch.

The car is still around. Well, its not been tested since 2015 but is on SORN so is possibly sat rotting on a driveway somewhere.

Ha, great to know it's potentially still about! In fairness, it wasn't a brilliant example, so no harm done. That said, Keith Adams drove up in a BX from the Midlands to York to buy it and was about to hand over the cash when I asked if he wanted to take a test drive first? He did, then drove back home in his BX instead. 

Turns out I'm not a great car salesman...

House for sale across the road from me in Daskot, Bulgaria

The pics are a bit misleading as been empty for a good few months whilst he's been travelling but a good solid building

I'm sure he would take a decent but cheeky offer....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Houses4saleinBulgaria/permalink/2440532552641757/?sale_post_id=2440532552641757

House for sale across the road from me in Daskot, Bulgaria

The pics are a bit misleading as been empty for a good few months whilst he's been travelling but a good solid building

I'm sure he would take a decent but cheeky offer....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Houses4saleinBulgaria/permalink/2440532552641757/?sale_post_id=2440532552641757

A house and car for 13,000 euro!

Is it actually habitable in its current state? Photos are a bit unclear on that :D

Just discovered that when doing online insurance quotes,if you put the start date a week ahead rather than today or tomorrow,the price drops by about £80...

I noticed that when insuring the Impreza recently.  Quido currently have £43 cashback on esure policies too, and for me they appeared one of the cheapest non-shitehawk providers.

Is it actually habitable in its current state? Photos are a bit unclear on that :D

Seller just updated his ad.

He was living there fine last year but then decided to "sell up" before travelling

Seems he sold most of the interior fittings,inc the bathroom....

But...stuff like that is v cheap here

We've just had 13 windows and a front door replaced with double glazing for £1200 fitted...

Seller just updated his ad.

He was living there fine last year but then decided to "sell up" before travelling

Seems he sold most of the interior fittings,inc the bathroom....

But...stuff like that is v cheap here

We've just had 13 windows and a front door replaced with double glazing for £1200 fitted...

post-8026-0-40761100-1550758188_thumb.jpg