The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Audi has spent a week in heated luxury with a couple of its distant cousins, when I took the DB11 for wheel repair. Interestingly the bill for repairing ( small scrape, no dent or gouge) was exactly what we paid Bramz for the Audi!attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

A bit of experimenting with the hunting issue after the mechanic I left it with for a couple of days did nothing because he hadn't got a tool to time the pump , even though he saw what engine it was and agreed to swap the pump, when I left it!

Anyway, seems that applying the brakes makes it worse, pointing to a servo vacuum issue, maybe.

Getting out of the Aston and into the Audi, driving home then taking the Passat to Heathrow, reminds me that variety is what it's all about when it comes to cars and even if my numbers come up on the Euromillions, I could never be happy with just one car, no matter how flash or expensive.

DB11! I was wondering the same as Time waster, owned or moving it for work/friend?

Either way I totally agree with the sentiment of variety regardless of value. 

Having a newly-replaced thermostat on the Audi appears to be a poisoned chalice as it's unveiled a hitherto masked overheating issue :(

It isn't losing any water and the old oil that came out showed no signs of water ingress but it heats up to nearly 110c on a run and appears to be unable to cool itself down to the 90 is that it sat at for the first few days after fixing.

Just as well I employed the 'drive around for a bit, spend later methodology'!

Still a nice car though.

Airlock maybe sitting somewhere?

On a boring note the new ML270 has run it's 1st full tank through at around 26mpg

Not bad given it's size and has the autobox as insisted on by the wife

Only potential fly in the ointment is the temp sits at around 65-70°c,running up to just over 80 on a good uphill stretch

Google suggests a failed thermostat as it should be at a constant 85-90°

Looks easy enough to do being located near the front of the engine but as its surrounded by plastic fuel lines it can wait untill it's a bit warmer outside

To clarify , I am a poor man that can barely afford the shonky mostly rusty mostly German shite that we actually own;

1989 BMW 316 auto

1994 Audi 80 1.9 Tdi auto

2001 Mercedes 230 CLK cabrio.

2001 BMW 330d touring.

2009 Fiat 500.

2010 Volvo C30 1.6d.

2011 Mercedes ML350 Cdi.

2012 VW Passat 2.0 Tdi estate.

But as I've been a jobbing chauffeur for the last 25 years, I get to drive and help to look after quite a few nice cars for clients, admittedly these tend to be Range Rovers and big Audis or Mercs in most cases. But one customer in particular has some nice cars that are kept locked up in a Fort Knox type unit , as he's away on his boat in the Southern Hemisphere for a lot of the year.

He often emails me out of the blue with requests like " Can you get the wheel on the Aston repaired" You can imagine I don't need asking twice when it comes to a reason to swan around in a posh car.

Incidentally he's also asked me to arrange selling the Golf in the picture, so if anyone wants a 2016 Golf R with 17,000 miles and one careful owner bids around £22,000 are welcome, will roffle if enough interest!

On a boring note the new ML270 has run it's 1st full tank through at around 26mpg

Not bad given it's size and has the autobox as insisted on by the wife

Only potential fly in the ointment is the temp sits at around 65-70°c,running up to just over 80 on a good uphill stretch

Google suggests a failed thermostat as it should be at a constant 85-90°

Looks easy enough to do being located near the front of the engine but as its surrounded by plastic fuel lines it can wait untill it's a bit warmer outside

Get them to change the stat at the same time you get it converted to LPG?

I nearly missed off my birthday good deed of the day I did yesterday ..

wife got home to say a friend was stranded with a dead car that would not start ..

so I threw a spare battery in the boot , jump leads and some tools ..

and got to a pug 107 sized car which was indeed dead , connected the spare battery via the jump leads and

it started !!!!

I am a hero in my own mind ....

Brown car was becoming increasingly grumbly from the o/s rear so I spent an hour fitting a new hub/bearing and cleaned up the rear brakes.

Silence has now been resumed, its a really easy car to work on too which was nice, despite lots of surface corrosion everything came undone easily and there was plenty of evidence of preventative maintenance which backs up the full main dealer history.

0b9c4279bfb8c1e401def66357897380.jpg

Right, I could do with raising a bit of cash quicker than I can make artwork so about the only way I can do that is a SALE.

50% off stuff on his thread: http://autoshite.com/topic/34160-original-artwork-for-sale/ until the end of February.  DM me on any that you're interested in.  I'm not taking commissions at this time as my books are full and this sale is Autoshite only.

Hoiked the blown bulb out of the 406 as we're off to tesco in a sec and I didn't actually know if it was a boggo bulb or something special. Boggo bulb luckily

post-5612-0-18910600-1550332607_thumb.jpg

What I did notice though was the entire internal reflector unit moves about like fuck... Will have a Google later and see if there's a respected bodge for that