The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

It's a write off in Basingstoke. Cars abandoned left, right and centre. Roads iced up and packed with snow. Managed to get to the station for work but had to park outside the shops opposite as the road to the station car park is shut. The Audi did okay, but the auto box is a nightmare in these conditions.

My friend Jan came over at 7.30 to cut my hair. At 8 we were trying to get her VW UP up the slight slope from my parking to the main drive. The traction control fought us the whole time and we couldn’t see a button to turn it off. I just drove past her in the 2cv in 2nd gear, but the UP wouldn’t do it.

Eventually some cooking salt and a push got her going. I was tempted to tow it with the 2cv, but the rope wasn’t long enough to get to a non icy bit.

I drove to waitrose in the 2cv which is about two miles and saw two crashes. Posed for photos back home.

post-8687-0-24083000-1549101675_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-77791800-1549101700_thumb.jpeg

post-8687-0-96931400-1549101724_thumb.jpeg

Loads man. Loads. Need to get out and start spotting. When my wife goes back to work I'll be whipping out the camera for chod spotting.

Already seen an early Sierra ala bASe (though probably not base spec) Cortina, and a Mazda van that doesn't look like its moved for a few years....

Be careful photographing stuff in Turkey..........especially near airports/ military bases etc.......the local plod can get a bit twitchy.........

After a chilly dog walk this morning

post-5582-0-48804700-1549103035_thumb.jpg

I thought it's time we found out how good the Olds is in the snow.

post-5582-0-36000200-1549103121_thumb.jpg

The drive is steep so best I prepare a runway with David.

post-5582-0-76330900-1549103152_thumb.jpg

Must get the snow plough fitted to the Kubota.

Hopefully the next photo I post won't be the Olds in the ditch.

Meanwhile, here's Murdo

post-5582-0-37716800-1549103307_thumb.jpg

Managed to get from work in Winchester to Woking last night somehow. By avoiding Basingstoke and then the A31 at Alresford which had succumbed to the snow and collisions, I managed to do it in just over 2 hours going via the A272 and A32. A lot of value in knowing alternative routes! And I also beat my usually reliable Waze route which was trying to send me straight into the Basingstoke black hole! I'd probably still be there now had I done that.

Not being experienced in snow I tried to enact what I'd been told by a taxi driver years ago, low revs, as high a gear as possible and try not to brake. I was doing ok, but did almost slide into a Puke at 2mph which was a bit heart in mouth... counting it as valuable experience though.

After a chilly dog walk this morning

attachicon.gif20190202_085759.jpg

I thought it's time we found out how good the Olds is in the snow.

attachicon.gif20190202_091606.jpg

The drive is steep so best I prepare a runway with David.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190202-100927_CamHi.jpg

Must get the snow plough fitted to the Kubota.

Hopefully the next photo I post won't be the Olds in the ditch.

Meanwhile, here's Murdo

attachicon.gif20190202_085725.jpg

Is that the north side of Glen Prosen in the first pic?

In Turkey at the moment with the wife. So far all grin worthy. Managed to get a car sorted through my cousins landlord;

attachicon.gif20190201_192340.jpg

Hyundai i30cw Estate 1.6 Diesel. Nice little car, sips fuel and easy to manoeuvre. I like the range of post 2013 Hyundais.

Let's take a closer look at this fine machine...

post-3572-0-92456100-1549115278_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-27725600-1549115373_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-90991600-1549115486_thumb.jpg

post-3572-0-69092400-1549115587_thumb.jpg

Very likeable thing. It's already got 2 identical dents on each wing. The remote central locking no longer works and nor does the central locking on key. Some WD40 was applied to key and lock as the key release was a bit tired and the key lock too (lots of dust here and the car is usually used as a builders/carpenters car) now a bit better. Has original floor mats but drivers is very tired and moves about too much.

When braking from higher speeds (40mph+) it pulls to the left and feels wallowy

Wanted to hoover it out today but didn't get the go ahead. So a wash and hoover will be on the cards soon.

Let's take a closer look at this fine machine...

attachicon.gif20190202_140525.jpg

attachicon.gif20190202_140516.jpg

attachicon.gif20190202_154954.jpg

attachicon.gif20190202_155412.jpg

Very likeable thing. It's already got 2 identical dents on each wing. The remote central locking no longer works. But as a little mover its great. Some WD40 was applied to key and lock as the key release was a bit tired and the key lock too (lots of dust here and the car is usually used as a builders/carpenters car) now a bit better.

Wabted to hoover it out today but didn't get the go ahead. So a wash and hoover will be on the cards soon.

I had one of these when I holidayed in Scotland 2014 as a hire car. I thought it drove and handled quite nicely, interior felt a bit cheap but I can forgive that being a 'cheaper' brand car. Was a 1.4 IIRC, quite peppy and spacious for a galoot like me. Definite future shite

Yeah, lol. I was a Kirrie Angling Club member for many years. Spent many happy hours with the motor parked up just along the road in your pic, traipsing down the hill and fishing the Prosen. Had some good salmon out of it over the years!

Did you live locally? I'm in th syndicate that have the opposite bank. Rarely have time for a cast these days though.

Did you live locally? I'm in th syndicate that have the opposite bank. Rarely have time for a cast these days though.

No, Aberdeen. I'm thinking about re-joining this year as I do miss it. Still fish the Southie though and am a member at Brechin. 

Best ever fish from the Prosen was a 16lb 2oz bar of silver in the middle of October.  It was a beat. That was in 2007.

The senior moments are getting worse. I wanted to get the brake doseur valve fitted in the Xm which is stored in a friends garage. Thought I'd take the spare battery with me just incase it wouldn't start. I definitely remember putting the multimeter on it to check the voltage on it and the battery plastic caps are on the utility room counter where it was stored. But, its gone, vanished in a poof of smoke. I've searched everywhere for it and it's not exactly bloody small. Obviously the usual place i find lost things, the fridge, is not the guilty culprit this time. I'm completely confuddled by this, how the hell can I misplace a pigging car battery, it's not like I live in a massive house either. Going to check the security cameras later on for clues.  

The senior moments are getting worse. I wanted to get the brake doseur valve fitted in the Xm which is stored in a friends garage. Thought I'd take the spare battery with me just incase it wouldn't start. I definitely remember putting the multimeter on it to check the voltage on it and the battery plastic caps are on the utility room counter where it was stored. But, its gone, vanished in a poof of smoke. I've searched everywhere for it and it's not exactly bloody small. Obviously the usual place i find lost things, the fridge, is not the guilty culprit this time. I'm completely confuddled by this, how the hell can I misplace a pigging car battery, it's not like I live in a massive house either. Going to check the security cameras later on for clues.  

I can't wait to find out where you lost a car battery, they aren't the easiest thing to misplace.

An Irish knocker just pulled up in a new van and tried to sell me a "silent generator "  again...which was probably a just a box of  old bricks anyway ...and if it was a generator , it wouldn't go , so obviously it would be silent  wouldn't it ?  Fuck off ..

I haven’t heard that term before - is it doorstep sellers?

My friend crashed his Hilux last night, I helped him put it back together*.

099c0c37f1695702a39d628abdecdad0.jpg

a95e46f8a1d8bb48fe64ac9c721ad2dc.jpg

66d47f39e07e021fef78dafa6be99fc4.jpg

It's FUCKED.

e50bebab98377b3ac10d5ee65a3a74f1.jpg

Bumper donor on the right, bonnet and wing donor on the far right.

4d74389fe37b5ae93019630650b692da.jpg

This meets Toyota quality control.

The whole front end is twisted and is majorly held together with cable ties but it looks okay* now. The cab steel is so flimsy it is beyond pulling out or repairing, I think it needs a new cab.

Luckily with a separate chassis it still drives as it should.