The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I've been following various Samba/104/LN groups on Facebook for a few months, our own Six Cyl is no doubt a member of some.

They look to be a world of pain. Rust everywhere, lots of unobtainum parts - so members are into refabrication, importing parts all sorts.

Most cars seem to be in bits.

I think I have been properly put off them now!

They are destined for this, so I don't mind too much ;-).

It's just failed an MOT on brakes and airbag light. Hopefully will get sorted, it's an early one.

27356106_10156164020729673_2184581802225450879_o.jpg

I hope it will get sorted too doesn't look a bad motor from the picture, all remaining k reg mondeos must be preserved for future generations

I've been following various Samba/104/LN groups on Facebook for a few months, our own Six Cyl is no doubt a member of some.

They look to be a world of pain. Rust everywhere, lots of unobtainum parts - so members are into refabrication, importing parts all sorts.

Most cars seem to be in bits.

I think I have been properly put off them now!

Nah, you still want one. Mechanical parts shouldn't be too much of an issue, and there is normally plenty of NOS on fleabay

That last point is incorrect, right? No DPF on a B5 Passat surely!?

Not a modern DPF no, but Euro 2 (?) diesels are fitted with a primitive particulate filter. The MOT tester explained that's the way he had to phrase it to avoid a dangerous failure category, something about a hazard to the visibility of other motorists.

It smokes a lot when it's been idling for a long time, especially on too much veg. My bad. It should be okay with a tank of diesel.

The allegro is gone. Easier hand over ever I pushed it out the garage and pushed it 20ft into his garage. He's got it up on the ramp and is going to hammer into it tomorrow. I'd be surprised if it wasn't mot'd some times next week.

I'm quite relieved to see it go, I dunno how Bramz and the like does it.

In other news I got a message via eBay about the cortina, which seriously gave me the hump.

The buyer says

"The car's not in very good condition (how do they know they've not seen it/it isn't).  I think you want too much, what's your rock bottom price?"

Just said, sounds like the car isn't for you , cheerio m8. I some time forget you can choose who you want to deal with and you can just tell prospective buyers to jog on.

Oh, I also now have a Citroen Xantia parked up (sorned) with ticket 'til April. Does a whiny noise - could be alternator, could be a pulley, although I had a new pulley and belt fitted a couple of months ago.

Needs a good service.

Certainly don't want to scrap it. So, I dunno - If anyone has a use for a potentially easy project, then get in touch. Would like some coins for it of course, but not loads!

Interested in hdi. Pm sent

I had a great drive home from the garage/work today. Brakes all good, Stuff all functioning and super wafto-matic smooth gearage. With added cruise joy.

Very pleased at result. It turns out that none of the calipers were binding. In FACT, the issue was that one of the suspension arms was snapped in two. Super dangerous.

I still have a passenger mirror to fix - it's there and not smashed, but the surround and repeater aren't. Have sourced a spare from Podders, but having read up on the process, I have TEH FEAR about doing it myself. Door card off, battery disconnected, door airbag scenario. REALLY don't wanna disconnect the battery as have already read a bunch of scary stuff concerning ECU etc. Dunno.

It's still showing up a couple of bulb warnings (they've been replaced and are working) and the ESP warning - which i assume has been sorted too along with the suspension etc. Dunno if it just needs a proper Merc box plugging in, or if the sensors for all these are dead. Seems a bit mad that they'd all be screwed.

The repeater warning one is fair enough - will be there until wing mirror scenario gets resolved.

Trip to Llanberis is happening anyway. Which is also a result of course.

Anyone got C-Class experience of cancelling the dash warnings?

It has wee bits of rust in the usual places and the indicator stalk doesn't stay up while you turn. Mrs Hoker's Dad's one did the same, so assume TADTS.

Good result. Looking forward to the drive to work now.

In OMGSNOKAOS with a rear wheel drive automatic. Windy uppy downy roads in Nottinghamshire. At 6am

Missive ends.

Chris

PS, am now on the look out for a (standard W203) working CD player, if anyone has one kicking around.

Mega easy to cancel the dash warnings on these but can't remember how to do it off hand. But it's in one of the screens for the on board computer

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Thoughts and prayers for me please

post-5612-0-26254800-1548974164_thumb.jpg

I have fucked up slightly though, Mr Moog has very kindly shipped my new winter tyres to my mums 25 miles away and I didn't engage my brain to say wait...

Ah well, I've only got to get there, can swap the wheels on mum's drive!

I'm glad I didn't bother changing the Chinese Deathrings on the TT. Despite being hopeless things normally, they are winter rated. So despite being a ludicrous 255/35/19 (even though the engine only puts out 200bhp), they are actually providing forward motion without too much wheel slippage.

I was sitting behind a tipper truck at a roundabout yesterday when a Volvo C30 came sailing down the slip road, flattens the little lamppost on the roundabout and lands right in the middle of the roundabout. It looked to me he was going too fast and he got out the car and had that "how did that happen" look on his face. He was fine and other people got out to speak to him so I just fucked off.

When I was doing my allegro hand over I heard that was the first of 6 cars to crash in the same place. Turns out the whole slip road had turned to glass and folk came off the dual carriage way at 50-60 and just couldn't slow down. While one of the recovery wagons was there picking up a car it even got crashed into.