The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Trying to remain some sort of rounded character instead of reading car stuff today I read the National Trust Handbook.

It was ok as I managed to find Sutton House in Hackney with a Breaker's Yard. Anybody been there and know what it is all about?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-house-and-breakers-yard

post-4787-0-62150900-1548191528_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-93234000-1548191537_thumb.jpg

post-4787-0-97861100-1548191558_thumb.jpg

Trying to remain some sort of rounded character instead of reading car stuff today I read the National Trust Handbook.

It was ok as I managed to find Sutton House in Hackney with a Breaker's Yard. Anybody been there and know what it is all about?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-house-and-breakers-yard

Ok, you read It so I don’t have to - let us know anything interesting :-)

I’ve just got back home with the Mercedes.attachicon.gif1FC473F4-8F6E-4774-84A1-74BE49E07F59.jpeg

Tyres still a couple of mm above limit, so I’m just about to check prices. This thing does like tyres- I seem to be changing a pair a year, fronts were done last year.

Now it’s snowing.

Small world.....your car was tested by my nephew!

Small world.....your car was tested by my nephew!

Really? Don’t ask him what he thinks of it- I like to live in denial!

I’ll need to check back through the records to see who’s signed the mots- I’ve had all the cars ( part from the fiat ) done there since 1996.

He will know all my mechanic friends from PTS though. Lee, Pete and rick,

Finally got a pair of new tyres on the front of the Clio today. £31.95 each for 155-70-13 ditchfinders supplied and fitted, which was the cheapest locally (Bell Tyres, Westcliff). The old ones were well worn and upon inspecting the old tyres in the scrap pile I found a nail in one. That'll be why it was losing 10 psi a week then!

Checked the discs and pads while the wheels were off and found they were in very good condition with minimal wear. Its definitely had a wishbone pan on the passenger side not long ago and a CV joint on the drivers side. All backs up the impeccable maintenance this car has enjoyed in the past :)

post-5335-0-74800700-1548196266_thumb.jpg

They're both fine, don't worry, the Princess just needed to give the Rover a jump.  After two months and a meagre 20 miles during that whole period, the Rover's battery only had enough grunt to unlock the doors.  I took it on a run to get some charge back in it.  I guess I'll have to use it a bit more often and stop driving the Princess everywhere.

While walking his royal fatness this morning, I noticed that the new neighbours Jaguar X types lights were on. Being of a kindly disposition, I rang the bell, then knocked on the relevant door.

Wish I hadn't bothered as the sour large lady demanded to know who I was, why I was banging on the door, how did I know it was her car and what business of mine was it anyway! Oh, and stop Chester from peeing on the wheel.

If I hadn't just had a gypsy's kiss I would have joined him!

attachicon.gif201901-18.jpg

They're both fine, don't worry, the Princess just needed to give the Rover a jump.  After two months and a meagre 20 miles during that whole period, the Rover's battery only had enough grunt to unlock the doors.  I took it on a run to get some charge back in it.  I guess I'll have to use it a bit more often and stop driving the Princess everywhere.

The Princess looks really fed up in that picture.

Tyres still a couple of mm above limit, so I’m just about to check prices. This thing does like tyres- I seem to be changing a pair a year, fronts were done last year.

Having stuck a set of s/h Uniroyal RainExperts on my Civic in lieu of 2x new Goodyears and 2x old shit (along with new wheels but let's ignore that) and have to say they're damn good, especially for the price. Can't comment on longevity but I've never heard a bad word against Uniroyal.

Having stuck a set of s/h Uniroyal RainExperts on my Civic in lieu of 2x new Goodyears and 2x old shit (along with new wheels but let's ignore that) and have to say they're damn good, especially for the price. Can't comment on longevity but I've never heard a bad word against Uniroyal.

They are decent.

Went the quite long way to work this morning, in the MGF. I was going to get a nice picture in a particularly frosty spot, but the road was closed when I got there. Four police cars, incident response unit, paramedic, and air ambulance by the time I got turned around.

It's a bloody slippy spot, I reckon I take that route 5% of the time and I see a crashed car about half of those.

Absolute shock and horror this morning, had to de-ice the car! This is Devon where it never gets cold (pah!) and the cheap de-icer I bought from some dodgy shop about three years ago was utterly useless. This just goes to prove that my usual habit of NOT leaving the gaff until 10:00 am is justifiably correct.

My heated windscreen doesn't work :( so I had to scrape it after doing the side windows. It's been parked at work in the sun all morning & the ice on the roof and boot hasn't started to melt yet.

You'll have to defrost it in the usual way, like us peasants. Scraping away with your bank card cos you can't find the scraper, trying unsuccessfully to coax the last bit of de-icer out of the can while freezing your hands until they're blue in the process, before finally resorting to breathing on the screen in the vain hope of being able to leave within the next hour.

Not me, like. My heated front screen works fine.

Mazda 6 passsed its MOT this morning with just one advisory on a worn tyre, which I was already aware of. Best of all, no sign of the dreaded Mazda corrosion underneath, no doubt due to regular visits to the local jetwash :) Will probably have a look round at what's on offer now, as no immediate expense should be needed for a while.

Oh and frost tip, wipe door seals when dry then spray lightly with dry silicone lube, works a treat :)

You'll have to defrost it in the usual way, like us peasants. Scraping away with your bank card cos you can't find the scraper, trying unsuccessfully to coax the last bit of de-icer out of the can while freezing your hands until they're blue in the process, before finally resorting to breathing on the screen in the vain hope of being able to leave within the next hour.

See your avatar?

Thats me stood on the bonnet of a Beetle i was breaking last year

How odd

Warm water - not HOT - just a bit warm...… defrosted in seconds and all good. Never had an issue...… I'm not freezing my fingers or anything scraping the shit off thanks 

I've got a proper scraper & TBH it takes as long for the inside to clear as it does to scrape the outside so it's not wasting anytime. I don't bother with de-icer as it just makes the ice smoother & harder to scrape.