The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Ha! The van was layden down with shite from my garage in the van! Cheers, it's really dragging on now, I've never felt so stressed out and worried before so will be glad when it's all over, had a removal company over yesterday who quoted £1300-1400!

Don’t they know you’ve already got a van? Surely they’d have seen strong competition and priced accordingly!

Promised myself I'm going to be more proactive in 2019. So, first (and hopefully not the last) to get attention is the Cadillac. Parked it up in June because the driver's door stopped working on the central locking and it was pissing out PAS fluid. Connected the battery up yesterday and it started first turn and blasted around all day like it was never off the road. Booked in next week for new PAS fluid pipes (hopefully not too much of a faf) and I brought a door lock actuator back from The States in October so that should have her good again.

rf25jv36Q%Ws%YCaW0%5Ug.jpg

I think this might be my old one ! How did you end up with it?

Ha! The van was layden down with a load of shite from my garage in the back! Cheers, it's really dragging on now, I've never felt so stressed out and worried before so will be glad when it's all over, had a removal company over yesterday who quoted £1300-1400!

Buy me a Marina van and i will move all your stuff. I don't care how long it takes me :)

Watching your car being MOT’D once you know it’s failed is like watching your ex with her new fella and your kids with their new Dad.

post-19618-0-55584900-1547030165_thumb.jpeg

What the fuck do I know. It passed!!

Was convinced a rear brake was binding. Nop! We’re in!!

As mentioned over in the Veg thread, got absolutely nothing car related done for about three weeks due to being horrendously busy with everything else. 

Saturday will see a fleet departure in the shape of the C1.

The white 405 is languishing on stands in the lockup with MOT now expired awaiting it's new handbrake cables, which I have. Monsieur PIN has kindly offered assistance which I plan to take up. 

The red 405 is drawing air when running on veg, going to bypass the plastic filter housing installing a cannister type filter from a 320D and thicker 10mm fuel hose. To be completed this weekend at the latest.

Saab - Perfect. It has a spare ignition cassette in the boot. No idea if it works but a colleague at work is having issues with his so it may be sold to him...

Disastra - Perfect.

Have you the 'right to repair'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46797396

This was always bound to happen. In electricals and in fashion, we have finally reached the absolute bottom of the curve where it is now impossible for costs to be cut any lower. I was only saying the other night that I am paying less for certain things today than I was 30 odd years ago.

The fair wife, a fashion designer was asked for a reduction in price of her 'knicker pack' for Asda - it's a pack of three knickers.

She offered that final last single cent - and they accepted. It is madness. 

As even Cambodia is now beginning to increase its prices, having had children making clothes in exchange for buttons for years. 

Who has won the race to the bottom?

as the sun was shining, I though I'd take the mx5 for a bit of a run - except when I went to close the garage door :

post-4462-0-88412700-1547049898_thumb.jpg

fucksticks !

it had jumped off the rails and the wires on both sides were a tangled mess on the spools

not having a willing assistant handy, some creativity was required

door propped up on jacks

post-4462-0-25628100-1547050038_thumb.jpg

cables held in tension by a fire extinguisher on bungees

post-4462-0-41308900-1547050083_thumb.jpg

with an extreme amount of pissing about, I finally got it back in working order. it's now getting dark and I'm very cold so the mx5 is going back in the garage and I'm putting the kettle on :(

as the sun was shining, I though I'd take the mx5 for a bit of a run - except when I went to close the garage door :

attachicon.gifIMG_8776.JPG

fucksticks !

it had jumped off the rails and the wires on both sides were a tangled mess on the spools

not having a willing assistant handy, some creativity was required

door propped up on jacks

attachicon.gifIMG_8777.JPG

cables held in tension by a fire extinguisher on bungees

attachicon.gifIMG_8780.JPG

with an extreme amount of pissing about, I finally got it back in working order. it's now getting dark and I'm very cold so the mx5 is going back in the garage and I'm putting the kettle on :(

Is it the red one side white the other cones with a spring running across the top? If so the refurb kits about £10-15 off ebay

Is it the red one side white the other cones with a spring running across the top? If so the refurb kits about £10-15 off ebay

that is exactly what it is, but, as Tickman says, the house is under offer so it's as good as fixed. I cleaned the runners with petrol and re-greased them, its smoother than ever now, I consider that a win :)

I am being extra careful how I open the door, just in case

Was at a cremation today of an 83 year old bloke who's maintenance

job I took over 5/6 years ago. He was still going up ladders till 3 years ago.

Anyhoo, the coffin carrier, some Vauxhall thing, turned up with squealing brakes ffs.

Peter, the deceased MAINTENANCE guy, would of turned in his, erm cremation?, 

if he'd heard it. 

He didn't go out in the usual box type thing though. A wicker coffin was his choice. Less polluting.

Mind you he was not just into saving the planet but everything including Land Rovers. 

He left me quite a lot of tools because his offspring wouldn't know how to use them.

Top bloke.

I was only saying the other night that I am paying less for certain things today than I was 30 odd years ago.

You didn't also happen to mention how young the police look these days? :P

Isn’t it better to scrap an old appliance and buy a more efficient one?

This is no simple question.

It is a simple question. Just bloody fix it. Hang the expense or hassle. I've been doing this for donkey's years.

Have you the 'right to repair'?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46797396

This was always bound to happen. In electricals and in fashion, we have finally reached the absolute bottom of the curve where it is now impossible for costs to be cut any lower. I was only saying the other night that I am paying less for certain things today than I was 30 odd years ago.

The fair wife, a fashion designer was asked for a reduction in price of her 'knicker pack' for Asda - it's a pack of three knickers.

She offered that final last single cent - and they accepted. It is madness.

As even Cambodia is now beginning to increase its prices, having had children making clothes in exchange for buttons for years.

Who has won the race to the bottom?

This is a very different tone from the one adopted by critics of the EU’s previous initiatives on energy efficiency.

There were warnings that forcing vacuum cleaners to use less power would leave Britain’s floors dirty.

It transpired that the rules had forced manufacturers to make new cleaners that cleaned equally well – but using less power, thanks to better floorhead design.

Oddly this is why everybody I know who has a Henry has been unimpressed when replacing the old one with a new eco friendly version.

Had a trip out today to service a boat as I'm 'between jobs'.

Was bloody great........sunshine and lovely location (Bray near Windsor). Access to main engine really good and gent not too bad so a pleasant and steady few hours spent.

Only spoiled by having to travel around the M25 in rush hour on the way home.........I used to do that regularly but really had forgotten was a truly shit experience it can be.

With the Allegrino on winter duty I need it in fighting trim. So I did some fault finding on the reversing lights. These have been troublesome since I installed them, I suspect because I am missing the switch locking nut. It’s a car of the era when everything was extra, no n/s door mirror, no cigar lighter, certainly no radio. In the Pennines it’s helpful to see well.

Started with the basics first by checking the bulb, highly unlikely both would fail at the same time but the next step would involve getting access under the car.

attachicon.gif9108186A-AA7C-4CB0-9F7B-D983EE0E5C95.jpeg

Bulbs fine as I thought. Up on the ramps it went and I start checking out the automatic switch.

attachicon.gifAAAAB9CC-4048-4424-94CA-9321AF31406B.jpeg

Disconnected the wires and switched ignition on, then checked the feed with my circuit tester.

attachicon.gifA7919F9B-FA05-435F-A6F1-9B0F7F9AA316.jpeg

So we have a feed! Then it’s definitely the switch at fault. As I said, it should have a lock nut but one didn’t come with the switch, I don’t have one for this thread, and it seems to screw in with enough resistance to stay put anyway. However, over the years it must’ve worked itself out a bit. I screwed it, checked the lights, nothing. Screwed it in some more and observed the lights were lit. A basic circuit, working again. Now I know the weak point.

attachicon.gif11BF9BBF-48A1-4440-85DF-D378CD4CF2A1.jpeg

Threadlock.