The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Joking aside, I've just discovered that they did away with the external boot release button - the underside of the tailgate moulding is now just a flat piece of tin.  The only way of opening the boot is via the button down by the driver's right foot.

If you press and hold the door open button on the fob a bit longer the boot pops open.

Today's news is a school trip with the fiancée's stepdad to New York to inspect a transit van.

A couple of hours in a van with a man who smokes like a chimney stack and could feel cold on the sun.

Could be worse, I suppose.

I could be at work, fuck that.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Lexus passed its MOT early yesterday, first car I've MOT'd for 2.5 years. I knew it would pass but there's still that feeling during the test. 

Had an interesting chat with an AA man whilst waiting, he's basically scared me off all the cars I was considering to replace my daily and wife's family car next year. He said of the small capacity turbo petrol engines of late the later VAG 1.4 TSI seems to be the best for longevity, but has seen some coilpacks fail. I've driven a Leon with the 150bhp 1.4 and its a perky little thing, really nice engine. Thought I'd test drive the new 1.5 TSI EVO engine'd Leon FR (because progress) yesterday and it is worse in every respect than the 1.4 TSI it replaces - not as smooth, slower and less economical. 

I agree.

It's a very capable, reliable, easy to live with car.  Over the last three years it's served me very well (OMGHGF notwithstanding) and I've willingly thrown money at it to keep it in the best condition it can be.  I have literally no complaints at all.  It's a fantastic car.

However, there's something wrong with me because having a fantastic, capable, comfortable, affordable, reliable car is apparently not what does it for me.

Isnt that what keeps our car market on here liquid? Capable car ... hmmm time for a change 

I have done nothing car related (other than order bits off the internet for it) but have done some much needed maintenance on myself! I was going to grow a beard and let my hair get long, mainly as a way of hiding from the world but I decided I just looked dreadful and scruffy so shaved, trimmed the beard I do have, showered, cut my hair and generally smartened myself up. I have also eaten a proper meal for the first time in about a week, just lost interest (depression is such great fun) and done the hoovering and dusting.

I don't feel any better, but you gotta start somewhere...

Would genuinely consider a straight swap for a BX or Ambassador.  Mostly because I have zero funds available to buy anything with without selling the Rover first.

Sounds like they might be dangerously close to being modern and reliable. Utterly hanging, pre-1960, MOT exempt, winter project GO!

Today's turd tinkering was the rear load area floor cover in my Viva estate.

I had removed the false boot floor to access the fuel tank(The breather pipe had collapsed causing fuel starvation,I hope)

So instead of just refitting the rotten old one,a trip to my mates scrap yard got me a floor mat out of the load area of an 2007 Astra van(keeping it GM donchaknow)

post-5543-0-14231400-1542735249_thumb.jpg

Some knife wielding soon saw it cut into vaguely the correct shape,

A few screws later and this is the result.

post-5543-0-24123900-1542735263_thumb.jpg

Quite pleased with that.

The mat is quite a bit thicker,so may reduce road noise slightly.

Also picked up a full size spare for my Mondeo too,breakers are fantastic.

:mrgreen:

Apparently it's snowing heavily on Snake Pass in the Peak District...

Just rain in Donny :( roll on winter. It's to crap for bikes but not cold enough for cars to be fun yet.

Lexus passed its MOT early yesterday, first car I've MOT'd for 2.5 years. I knew it would pass but there's still that feeling during the test. 

Had an interesting chat with an AA man whilst waiting, he's basically scared me off all the cars I was considering to replace my daily and wife's family car next year. He said of the small capacity turbo petrol engines of late the later VAG 1.4 TSI seems to be the best for longevity, but has seen some coilpacks fail. I've driven a Leon with the 150bhp 1.4 and its a perky little thing, really nice engine. Thought I'd test drive the new 1.5 TSI EVO engine'd Leon FR (because progress) yesterday and it is worse in every respect than the 1.4 TSI it replaces - not as smooth, slower and less economical. 

Manufacturers will deny it but these 3 cylinder turbots can shurely only have a limited shelf life. Mind you most of them are sold on a three year lease, meaning Autoshiters will be able to rejoice* at some ridiculous smoll engine massive turbot bargains in years to come.

Stick with chod - at least you know for definite it'll break and can plan accordingly.

Apparently it's snowing heavily on Snake Pass in the Peak District...

My mate showed me a photo earlier at work to confirm the OMGSNOKAOS is slowly building up. Bring it on. I love it as it means I can trot out my much-used adage of 'bit of a snow and the whole country grinds to a halt' That's as seasonal as 'soon be Christmas' which I usually utter on Boxing Day to anyone who cares to listen (usually no-one).

Today's turd tinkering was the rear load area floor cover in my Viva estate.

I had removed the false boot floor to access the fuel tank(The breather pipe had collapsed causing fuel starvation,I hope)

So instead of just refitting the rotten old one,a trip to my mates scrap yard got me a floor mat out of the load area of an 2007 Astra van(keeping it GM donchaknow)

attachicon.gif20181120_135049.jpg

Some knife wielding soon saw it cut into vaguely the correct shape,

A few screws later and this is the result.

attachicon.gif20181120_152813.jpg

Quite pleased with that.

The mat is quite a bit thicker,so may reduce road noise slightly.

Also picked up a full size spare for my Mondeo too,breakers are fantastic.

:mrgreen:

why do you keep getting photobombed by the ford alloy :lol:

After a brief fling with a Freelander V6 (discovered prop shaft has been removed, not getting into all that boll*cks), a winter hack has been purchased.

post-5127-0-50906000-1542743832_thumb.jpg

Let's hope it's as good as it looks, I'll know when I pick it up tomorrow.  ML500 with 79k and full history.  I have NEVER liked the look of these things.  They're dated, badly proportioned and quite obviously made for the yanks.  But it was a bargain and runs on the correct fuel, so it's worth a go.