The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Quick news update, modern Fiesta now has passed the 61k mark, and has been rewarded with a new genuine set of Ford front wiper blades. Two big trips coming up, Birmingham and Nottingham which shouldn’t be a problem whatsoever.

As some people may know, I have a large collection of tax discs at home which I have collected for about 15 years on and off. I didn’t actually know how many I had until I counted them earlier. I have approximately 2,600 of them!

By coincidence, there is a guy selling almost the same amount of discs on eBay at the moment and he’s after nearly £5k for them all. I am seriously tempted to sell my collection off as I do need the money, but I don’t know if a) a price of about £4k is realistic and B) I’m a sensible-headed person and I know that not a lot of people have a spare few thousand burning a hole in their back pocket as this would be spent on car parts and hookers.

What would you guys think? How should I sell them or should I sell them at all?

Who would and why would anyone pay f poo r tax discs??

WHY.

I Know that one man's hobby is another man's mental illness but.......

I actually hope that you can sell them to someone for real money, but I struggle with the idea that they have any value.

Say what you like about VAG products being crap, the £150 Audi has done 1200 miles this week, averaging between 35-38mpg, been comfortable with a good heater and able to carry all the shite thrown at it.

For the last 2500 miles, total costs (above petrol) have been £4 for a new H1 headlamp bulb.

As some people may know, I have a large collection of tax discs at home which I have collected for about 15 years on and off. I didn’t actually know how many I had until I counted them earlier. I have approximately 2,600 of them!

If you want to sell then Ebay would seem the obvious way to go for things that are so easy to post.

Selling them individually or in small groups will probably get you more money but will be more work.

I don't know much about old tax discs, but there are people that collect them. Presumably some types are much more common than others, so if you can identify the rarest ones then sell them individually.

Were some designs short lived? Is there a premium for discs issued to rare or expensive cars? Presumably the answers are online somewhere!

Say what you like about VAG products being crap, the £150 Audi has done 1200 miles this week, averaging between 35-38mpg, been comfortable with a good heater and able to carry all the shite thrown at it.

For the last 2500 miles, total costs (above petrol) have been £4 for a new H1 headlamp bulb.

I have a massive dilemma with VAG products. When they're working, they're great things. Nice places to sit, good performance, stylish and generally great vehicles. A good one either works or has annoying niggly faults.

Like the PCV valve on my TT. They fail, causing high oil usage, sometimes weird noises and rough running. Yet the part was £25 and 15 minutes to replace. However VAG has gone through at least 5 revisions on the part to try solving it.

If they go wrong they're annoying and potentially expensive. Worse, if it's a dud design with flaws then they're horrific and you can't expect any help from the manufacturer.

You can get a really good vehicle, just you need to be aware of what were the good ones and the awful models+engines were/are. Even between years you can go from great to bad.

A good one is very rewarding and worth it. You just need to prepare throwing money & parts at silly faults.

When I first got the truck the carb was a bit buggered with a holed float and all the little passageways full of shit..............spend bloody ages putting a kit in it and cleaning up and it runs quite well but I've never put it on a meter to see what it is running. I do know it uses quite a bit of fuel though.

Last week I got this little gas tester from ebay..........its just a heavier duty version of a Gunson gas tester. Works a treat and truck is running at a nice 2.9% CO

The P4 is home after its voyage North and South which took us to Blackpool, Stoke, Surrey, Kent and back to lovely Linc's. 498 miles and dipstick still says full. I mentioned earlier that I previously used the car with no oil in the diff, and throughout the journey it chastised me with a gentle whine, but maybe a bit of soundproofing under the rear seat is the answer.

Best bit was taking the A25 instead of the M25 through Surrey and on to Maidstone. The satnav said it was slightly quicker and I say the views were much better, though this certainly wouldn't be the case very often. I was much taken by the Oxted viaduct, would have liked to have stopped to get a look without the supermarket sign spoiling it.

post-7547-0-21898100-1541415955_thumb.jpg

Where permitted the car can still manage this

post-7547-0-62236400-1541416228_thumb.jpg

but there's a worrying lack of old stuff on the road. Last night at a filling station on the A1 a Minor van pulled in- it looked to be between paint jobs with some grey undercoat showing, so all is not lost. Tomorrow the Rover has to head to London again, this time for work. I didn't know about the job until this morning or I wouldn't have come home, but at least I might get a bit done with my Bedford bits.

^i think its the time of year, all the way down to Exeter from Teesside the only acething we saw on the road was a minity fresh looking Datsun 260Z....

then around the back roads we did see a few series Landrovers still in agrcultutal service, before again seening nothing of note at all on the way back.

yesterday we saw a Ford model Y hotrodded with a beetle engine in the back, and another old couple driving a Rover 3 litre.

those i think were people taking advantage of the nice weather for going for one last run out before the weather turns. 

and North Yorks council have already started spreading salt around on the Castleton road and along the A64..... 

^i think its the time of year, all the way down to Exeter from Teesside the only acething we saw on the road was a minity fresh looking Datsun 260Z....

then around the back roads we did see a few series Landrovers still in agrcultutal service, before again seening nothing of note at all on the way back.

yesterday we saw a Ford model Y hotrodded with a beetle engine in the back, and another old couple driving a Rover 3 litre.

those i think were people taking advantage of the nice weather for going for one last run out before the weather turns. 

and North Yorks council have already started spreading salt around on the Castleton road and along the A64..... 

I can't imagine why you'd put a beetly engine in a Y, but each to their own.  Salt is a bastard for the older patients, will have to think about a hose down. Probably thinkings as far as I'll get though...

Alfa is home. It managed rather better on fuel once it was out of the uppy-downy bits of Devon - on the run back from Somerset to Norfolk this morning it seems to have managed about 35mpg, which isn't too bad considering.

I've now left it to have a breather and a natter with its smoll compatriot.

post-190-0-49740900-1541429770_thumb.jpg

If I were you I'd eBay them individually. It sounds like a massive job but you could list a dozen each evening maybe? Write a decent bit of blurb that can then be pasted into each one, and just change the searchable details and the photo. Then when you get each payment stick it into a savings account so it builds to a nice payday at the end.

I couldn't be bothered to do what Datsuncog's recently done and pack up a lot of models individually but with tax discs surely you just need an envelope, no need to muck about with boxes and bubble wrap!

Flexi hose for the SD1 arrived. Its an ap lockheed item but the last time I bought anything in similar packaging was around 1991.

Waiting for an oil filter to arrive as the one fitted looks ready to rust through.

I agreed to buy a new house today, proper bricking it now but we both hate living in our current house now after 13 years here and the local schools are poor so we've bit the bullet and bumped the mortgage up on a heavily extended 16th century 3 bed semi in a village with a garage large enough for 4 cars, not that i'll be able to afford the one's I've already got.