The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Just give it up, it isn't hard really, I was a 10-15 rolly a day man for 20 years, I just stopped, all you need is a bit of will power, not some silly steam generator.

Will be 10 years this Xmas, can't stand the smell of fags now and I wish I'd never started at school.

Just took the Hiace over to a local garage for new tyres, they're a good bunch in there although I'd forgotten about them and hadn't been for a couple of years, they seem to do very good pricing on tyres too.  I wish I'd changed the rears ages ago, it rides so much better now, the old ones were rock hard - probably why one of them split open on the tread, hence the sudden need for replacement.

Not so good was the phone call while I was walking about: "we've put one new tyre on to replace the burst one but are you sure you want to do the other one?  He's had a look underneath and it's pretty bad."

See, I'd asked them to give me their unbiased opinion on its rusty nether regions while they had it, thinking it'd help me plan for what to do with it next year.  I wasn't quite expecting to be shown large amounts of missing metal and holes prodded in scabby but solid-looking suspension components.  It's absolutely shagged and probably should not have passed its MOT back in August.  The garage estimated 10+ hours of welding if he could find anything to weld to and it will still be very rusty everywhere else.  They recommended it was not worth it, especially as it is also going to need some suspension bushes fairly soon and there's a lot of other rotten metal away from the structural bits.  A decade of being coated in mud by the previous owner has not done it any favours.

I've got the two new tyres anyway for safety's sake and will run it for a little while yet while I work out what to do next, in one way it's sad as I've had some great trips in it and spent a lot of time and money on it, but on the other hand, a new project beckons.

I'm tempted by a MWB Boxer/Relay/Ducato or Renault Master as I'm keen to have a high roof and a little more space and power.  Whilst out earlier I looked at a P-reg Boxer ex-Ambulance sat on a dodgy dealer's forecourt which from a distance looked OK but up close was looking pretty ropey, although the conversion looked moderately well done.  The MOT history site then showed it had failed its last test in July with a very long list of issues, mostly rot-related, and had nearly a quarter of a million miles on it.  At £4000, this did not seem like a good investment opportunity.

The mechanic who dealt with my Hiace today suggested that VW Crafters can be OK if they've been looked after, likewise post-2007 Transits which I was surprised at but the rust thing does put me off.  

Any other suggestions?  I'm likely not going to have much to spend, £2-3k at most I suspect, so I will need to compromise somewhere.  I could go with another Hiace, maybe a later 2.5TD D4D but there's no high-roof option and I'm quite keen on that particular feature.

Why not ask Al Bundy about welding it up, given what he can do for largely non existant Dodge 50's a Hi Ace should be a doddle. Better the devil you know etc

post-5335-0-45383900-1540701457_thumb.jpg

Goodbye to Nugget.  Mike's been half-heartedly trying to sell the little trooper that I bought a few years ago from RobT and we finally got a buyer.  Future unknown, it's unlikely it'll appear here again, words like 'donor car' and 'chopping out the good bits' were thrown about.  Still, for the time it spent with us it proved to be a surprisingly reliable, comfortable, and practical car whenever it was called upon.

I've been surprisingly sentimental about it finally selling.  I wasn't so attached I wanted to buy it back and keep it (partly because of the absurd insurance), but certainly attached enough that I'm sad it'll likely not be seen again.  No profit or loss on the sale either, managed to break even, well unless you Man Maths the fact we used it quite a few times when our own cars were being less than friendly and a back up was needed short notice for minimal cost/free, in which case we made a profit.

I doubt I'd have another Corsa B.  I'm glad I owned this one for a brief time.

Yo! If you're grabbing one, would you grab one for me as well please. Let us know how much and I'll hoy some money over.

I've got to pop up in the week to pick another up if there's some there I will pick you one up mo and drop you a pm, i went again yesterday when I was passing to pick the ones up for andy and they only had the 2 that I picked up on the shelf

What happens when you weld a 1999 Hyundai Sonata passenger seat to some scrap steel and a piece of old office furniture found on the side of the road?

This happens.

I have a spare Mitsubishi Galant seat from the pair I bought to change the driver's seat in the van and have had much the same thought, combined with a donor chair our office was throwing out.  Alas, still looking for a freebie chair base as the reason it was being chucked is the base is broken, the seat itself is fine!

Why not ask Al Bundy about welding it up, given what he can do for largely non existant Dodge 50's a Hi Ace should be a doddle. Better the devil you know etc

I agree in principle, everything is repairable and this certainly is - however I wouldn't wish this welding job on my worst enemy as it is all upside down and there's odd-shaped bends everywhere.  I'd only be satisfied with every last bit of rust gone and realistically that isn't going to happen.  It would still leave me with a van I'm finding a little small for my needs and still needing other bits doing to it so it's definitely time to say goodbye.

I very much suspect it'll end up exported like every other tired Hiace but when I'm ready I'll advertise it on here first, if someone is handy with a sparkly stick and needs a basic camper it would be ideal.  

Just give it up, it isn't hard really, I was a 10-15 rolly a day man for 20 years, I just stopped, all you need is a bit of will power, not some silly steam generator.

Will be 10 years this Xmas, can't stand the smell of fags now and I wish I'd never started at school.

To someone that gets highly addicted to things and then struggles with addictions very easily that is more an insult than useful advice. You don't know my past and any addictions I've had previously.

I'll do this my own way, if cold turkey worked for you, fair play. It didn't work for me. Tried 5-6 times along with other NRT solutions. I'm giving up, if I need help on the way with a vape then that's what works for me.

I have a spare Mitsubishi Galant seat from the pair I bought to change the driver's seat in the van and have had much the same thought, combined with a donor chair our office was throwing out.  Alas, still looking for a freebie chair base as the reason it was being chucked is the base is broken, the seat itself is fine!

If it is the up/down adjust that is at fault then you should be right. Car seats are much thicker than the original seat and with the adapter frame in the mix you need to be at the lowest height to be comfortable at a desk.

Office chairs are easy enough to find though, I drive past the local hospital regularly and there is always a skip bin full of them, all structurally sound, just covered in hospital related fluids and grime (you know what I mean!). Ideal for conversion!

I'll find another donor chair no doubt, as you say they are everywhere, the one I was given is a weird design with an odd cantilever adjustment which links the back and base, there's a bit which stops it decanting the occupant onto the floor which has snapped off, so even if you could mount the car seat to it, which looks nigh on impossible as it's all interlinked with the post, it'd still be broken.  It's about as far from suitable as you could wish so it can go on Freecycle and I'll find another one!

My timing chain has definitely had it, I made a lovely video.

Hewn from granite my arse

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I've changed one of those on the OMG HFG C200 Kompressor Coupe I had. The front timing cover comes off once you've slackened the sump bolts but be VERY careful taking the upper cover off. The magnetic plungers are so brittle (because Granite) so unscrew the three small Torx and remove each solenoid housing before taking the timing cover off.  They're not too bad. Well, the M271 is a piece of shit - not as appallingly bad as the BMW N43 but really, no engine is.

I've changed one of those on the OMG HFG C200 Kompressor Coupe I had. The front timing cover comes off once you've slackened the sump bolts but be VERY careful taking the upper cover off. The magnetic plungers are so brittle (because Granite) so unscrew the three small Torx and remove each solenoid housing before taking the timing cover off. They're not too bad. Well, the M271 is a piece of shit - not as appallingly bad as the BMW N43 but really, no engine is.

I'm just conscious of the fact the car is worth £7-800, the timing kit alone is over £200 and I don't know if I've damaged any valves....

Part of me wonders if I should break it....

went to Halloween bingo ....

in a small club house out in the Yorkshire countryside ...  as in 25 ish seats

everyone dressed up ,  lots of food  , and booze , and bingo ..

yep bingo and the leccy went off ...  and everyone sat there ......  and then just got the torches out and carried on

then the leccy came on .......  and then went off ....... and came on again .....  we all played bingo .. and then went  into the scary forest  ,

there was some screaming .....  I think everyone came back  , there was some mutterings about H&S and RAs

in the morning the bottle/can bin was FULL !

I'm just conscious of the fact the car is worth £7-800, the timing kit alone is over £200 and I don't know if I've damaged any valves....

Part of me wonders if I should break it....

You'll probably only need the chain, guides and plunger. The gears should be okay. I might still have some spare ones.

While out with oul Bill, the Irish Draught, this afternoon, we were passed on the road by two cyclists going hell for leather in one direction and an Audi 4x4 in the other. Immediately as they passed, there was a very strong smell of cannabis. I still can't work out whether it was the cyclists or the Audi driver.

Went to Huddersfield Auto Jumble, arrived 8am as normal.

Very quiet, still setting up.

Bought a pile of Morse taper drills, some with sleeves on 50p each, and a few odds and sods.

Left at 9-30, home 10am.

Realised at 1pm I hadn't turned the clocks back!

I gave up on that a long time ago, probably about 2009 (been going with my dad). Used to go a fair bit, but paying to look at a load of new Chinesium tools put me off returning.