The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I know a guy who delivers cars self-employed. No trade plates, all covered by the dealers insurance. No folding bikes either, gets reimbursed for bus/train fares. Works out as less than minimum wage though; not sure how/why. Suits him as he's semi-retired so works when he feels like it.

I hope all of those cars are taxed and on MID if there’s no trade plates....

Fitted new brake light switch which I am assured is the cause of the ABS/BAS light coming on intermittantly. Did it fix it? Did it fuck!

I took it to a local garage with the correct socket to fit the sod and they came up with ;C1303 which is F/R solenoid hold valve, open/shorted. I have zero idea what that means! Also code A73y9 which is the same thing. Something is broken, but what?

Some autos (perhaps only Peugeot 205/309?) have a heat exchanger which shares engine coolant and thus the radiator.  My 205 auto consumed ATF for a while with no visible leaks, then I noticed the coolant bottle gradually filling up with oily sludge. Initially I had OMGHGF thoughts but then the box started thumping each change in a destructively violent manner.  The box died not long afterwards, sadly killing the car as well.  I hope that your autobox problem is curable without completely draining your bank account.

^^^ That's common with a lot of autoboxes, most of them have an oil cooler & a lot share it with the engine rad.

I think there is an oil cooler in the CX, but checking the coolant expansion tank shows no traces of sludge or other contaminant. Maybe it's just French engineering which has worked out a way of making Dexron III disappear into some black hole.

I know a guy who delivers cars self-employed. No trade plates, all covered by the dealers insurance. No folding bikes either, gets reimbursed for bus/train fares. Works out as less than minimum wage though; not sure how/why. Suits him as he's semi-retired so works when he feels like it.

AIUI they reimburse for transport, but the ad sounded like theyd prefer not to do that.

Guest Hooli

Fitted new brake light switch which I am assured is the cause of the ABS/BAS light coming on intermittantly. Did it fix it? Did it fuck!

I took it to a local garage with the correct socket to fit the sod and they came up with ;C1303 which is F/R solenoid hold valve, open/shorted. I have zero idea what that means! Also code A73y9 which is the same thing. Something is broken, but what?

Sounds like a valve that controls the difference in brake pressure front to rear has died.

No idea how difficult it is to do on them though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Started pre-sale tidy and organise of the 1100 today.  I'm a little sad about it, tbh, I really like this little car.  I'm just going to have to be happy that I did my bit to help it live on and SiC is going to do his bit to get it that little bit further.

Come across a new (maybe?) place doing ramp hire in Gravesend. Cheapest way to do it is a four hour weekday evening session for £50.  However, four hours daytime in the week is not much more at £60. If anyone wants to go halves on a 'session' in the next month or so let me know. I want to do the oil and filter on my Mazda for a start, and would like to have a poke about and maybe get some vactan on the underneath.

A bit tired of working in the road at the mo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Ramp-Hire-KENT-SOUTH-EAST-Rent-your-own-private-garage-with-Rotary-Ramp-/302699712171

s-l1600.jpg

I was surprised but apparently so. They would have to be for the customer to be able to drive them straight away I suppose. He works for two or three main dealer groups in Derby.

I was surprised but apparently so. They would have to be for the customer to be able to drive them straight away I suppose. He works for two or three main dealer groups in Derby.

Ah that makes sense. Tbh a main dealer could have him use their trade plates for the untaxed stuff anyway - AIUI they can be held by a limited company as well as an individual

Come across a new (maybe?) place doing ramp hire in Gravesend. Cheapest way to do it is a four hour weekday evening session for £50.  However, four hours daytime in the week is not much more at £60. If anyone wants to go halves on a 'session' in the next month or so let me know. I want to do the oil and filter on my Mazda for a start, and would like to have a poke about and maybe get some vactan on the underneath.

A bit tired of working in the road at the mo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Ramp-Hire-KENT-SOUTH-EAST-Rent-your-own-private-garage-with-Rotary-Ramp-/302699712171

s-l1600.jpg

Glad to help you if it means speeding the jobs up, thus making best use of the time. I've no use for a lift at the mo but good to know there's a localish place that does this. Metro exhaust will need doing at some point, but my only concern is cocking up the job (likely in my case) and being stuck there!

Glad to help you if it means speeding the jobs up, thus making best use of the time. I've no use for a lift at the mo but good to know there's a localish place that does this. Metro exhaust will need doing at some point, but my only concern is cocking up the job (likely in my case) and being stuck there!

Thanks Rob - the Base also needs oil and filter, fuel filter and other bits, so if it is any good, I could easily eat up some time there.

The CX gearbox swallowed another half-litre of Dexron, with no discernible improvement. That's 2.5litres now since the slipping began, and it's starting to get a bit ridiculous. I still can't see any leaks, but the fluid must be going somewhere.....

Could be heat exchanger or faulty modulator valve sucking atf into engine?

Put my in-laws Corsa C up on Autotrader for them last night. Up for £950. 3 owners, 1.2, 5 door, working Aircon and 79500 on the clock.

bf470d755dfb0f45a2c2049520b2fe6b.jpg

Had 3 calls. One wanted it before 3pm, but my FiL wasn't in so that was a no-go. Third said to contact if the second person didn't have it there and then.

Second person came. Went for a test drive and the bloody thing put it's oil pressure light on. He reckoned it was oil pressure switch (quick Google after suggests it's a thing). It's had one before and he got told that but was pretty happy it was that. Anyway he offered £800 firm. FiL accepted it.

Probably not a bad thing as I know the chain tensioners can go on them and other oil pump related problems. He was happy anyway, so his problem now whatever caused it.

So basically a hassle free sale. Being under a grand, it didn't cost anything to list either. I suspect as Autotrader gives a different number than your own, it stops people texting and get rid of the time wasters.

Best bit it means that my Civic is off to them now, freeing up my lockup garage to take my MGB. Which leaves my drive free for a certain Austin 1100. :)

Just because its not on MID doesn't mean its not covered by trade insurance. You're required to put it on if you're going to use it on the road for more than 7 days or something, but it's not not universal - if its on the road, it must be on MID - isn't correct.

Tbe certificate of insurance is the proof of insurance. Not MID. That's just indicative.

Just because its not on MID doesn't mean its not covered by trade insurance. You're required to put it on if you're going to use it on the road for more than 7 days or something, but it's not not universal - if its on the road, it must be on MID - isn't correct.

Tbe certificate of insurance is the proof of insurance. Not MID. That's just indicative.

Understand the letter of the law but it’s 90000% less hassle to either be on MID or run on trade plates than having to explain to a copper what the score is.

CIE makes it a pain to be taxed and not on MID too

Could be heat exchanger or faulty modulator valve sucking atf into engine?

Interesting. If the fluid was being sucked into the engine, surely I would have either some dodgy substances in the coolant (which I don't have) or some weird burning smells / smoky exhaust (which I don't have either)?

Trade plates are for VED only. Nothing to do with insurance.

Yes, less hassle to be on mid, but sometimes not practical.

Tradewise were dreadful, took days to get on - sometimes not at all. Currently I've an app and it's on immediately,literally within moments.

Trade plates are on MID and go a long way to convince a copper / camera that you’re legal. I know they’re only for VED, I held them for long enough, but they still stop you pinging up as uninsured.

(I don’t understand why they changed the rules that now say you must not cover the original reg of the vehicle - opposite of what it used to be, surely that causes loads of confusion with cameras?!)

Since I got the Rover on the 31st of March, I've done 2.5k miles in it. Which when I have the more modern and frugal diesel 407 sitting there, is a bit stupid. I just love driving the thing though. 

The Peugeot can be hustled along very swiftly and in great comfort, grip abounds, it has a good stereo and will easily get well over 50mpg, but I prefer the old Rover, go figure. 

I either need to assign the Rover to more local duties, or flog the Pug...

My 1971 Fiat 500 just passed an MOT with just one advisory for minor play in the kingpins. I know that it is now MOT exempt, but I am planning on selling it and figured a new MOT would help give interested parties a bit of reassurance that it is as good as it looks.

Shitefest A-frame antics in the making...