The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Apparently Gravesend is particularly bad.  Having grown up in Gravesend, I can quite happily sit back and say 'probably about time'...

Prelude speakers are shite/non existent. The front 2 don't work, and only one rear one works, although given the enclosed nature of the cabin, I didn't realise until I shifted the balance around. Ordered some Pioneer co-axials that should be a direct fit for the rears. Will sort front's after, think they're a bit more of a faff.

Ah, right. I'm a little surprised by that actually as I'd been listening to CDs on the way down!

Drivers one worked for me but passenger never did, and as it looked like door card off for access I just left it be. The rears had been replaced with cheap ones at some point, by a monkey at some point that barely understood electricals, the wires were held in place with little more than hope and electrical tape. They also worked for me, though one of them buzzed a bit sometimes. I think it was the grille.

Any interest here in a 2007 '57' plate Honda Jazz, light blue colour, circa. 54k miles in fair condition? My brother will be selling soon I think, has replaced it with a Focus ST on one of those dreadful PCP schemes.

Any more info on the Jazz?

Ah, right. I'm a little surprised by that actually as I'd been listening to CDs on the way down!

Drivers one worked for me but passenger never did, and as it looked like door card off for access I just left it be. The rears had been replaced with cheap ones at some point, by a monkey at some point that barely understood electricals, the wires were held in place with little more than hope and electrical tape. They also worked for me, though one of them buzzed a bit sometimes. I think it was the grille.

I popped the grilles off for the fronts and they are aftermarkets (vibe) so I don't know why they're not working. The rears are cheap tat so I may just pay an audio shop to fit the new ones and investigate why the fronts don't work. Electricals isn't my strong point!

I imagine the wiring on the fronts is as bad as the rears then!

I popped the grilles off for the fronts and they are aftermarkets (vibe) so I don't know why they're not working. The rears are cheap tat so I may just pay an audio shop to fit the new ones and investigate why the fronts don't work. Electricals isn't my strong point!

Today has mostly been this:

40628034600_4250d6b91d_b.jpg20180529_131139 by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

Went down to Bournemouth to dig out the Tipo. The owner of the storage place is quite possibly the friendliest man I have ever met, which is saying something.

The drive back was happily event free, other than a phenomenal deluge of rain on the M3 by Winchester and the car threatening to cut out when downshifting, which was odd but happened only briefly. Probably crud in the tank I suspect?

I loved driving it back. I think I have changed driving style since I tucked it away, as I am only too happy to take it past 4000rpm now, and it loves it. Everything still feels tight, the clutch is light, the seats are comfortable, the sound I thought was a failing heater matrix has gone, it looks better than I remember etc, so remind me again, why am I selling it?! 

The flaky tatty alloys on my Rover have been bugging me for ages so I thought I'd get them off today to paint them

c165eedc5dcedc76768762325bf7800e.jpg

A hour into the job I've started to lose the will to live, I've never done it before but I think I'm going to have to get a professional to do them.

75d1a7c8dc749382a513e3565764473f.jpg

The paint is so thick and awkward to feather back nicely, they are going to look shit, wish I hadn't started the job now!

6c18dfdb3e2f854dd9cf4991448f0ef7.jpg

Just had a phone call from the wife. The gift that keeps on giving (Audi TT) has made itself known again. Apparently makes a strong electrical burning smell when the interior fans are on... Google doesn't show any likely candidates for that fault either.

I've only just cleared my Credit Card bill too! :(

So just got in and started up. No smell. I suspect strongly it was outside as she drove past. Or it was hot inside and just normal hot car smell. She also moaned about hot air coming out of the vents. I reminded her that if the interior is hot, it takes a bit before the Aircon can really do its thing. Thing is, as it only did it like 3 or 4 minutes starting the engine (if that) there is only so many things it could be. Not really long enough for engine to burn off stuff and if it was electrical, it'd be blowing a fuse or smoking if it heated up that quickly. All electrical systems seem fine and not showing codes*.

Popping was just the Bose amp switching on. I can repeat that easily by force rebooting the head unit. The base speaker gives quite a punch. It's throwing an output stage error code which has been there for a while and the front speakers aren't working. The Bose amp lives in the rear cubby hole. Apparently water gets forced through the wheel arch vent and gets it wet. Not sure how true that is, or if it's just condensation forming in it. Will rip it out in a bit and take a looksy if it doesn't rain. Not so bothered about this popping.

* No codes apart from the sound system code above and this new one I'm going to ignore for a bit...

irccloudcapture1043540883909090111.jpg

Apparently another common VAG fault. But I've had no problems and could just be one of those spradic codes that throw up time to time on German cars. If it comes back again, then I'll investigate key switch replacement.

The flaky tatty alloys on my Rover have been bugging me for ages so I thought I'd get them off today to paint them

c165eedc5dcedc76768762325bf7800e.jpg

A hour into the job I've started to lose the will to live, I've never done it before but I think I'm going to have to get a professional to do them.

75d1a7c8dc749382a513e3565764473f.jpg

The paint is so thick and awkward to feather back nicely, they are going to look shit, wish I hadn't started the job now!

6c18dfdb3e2f854dd9cf4991448f0ef7.jpg

Fuck everything about doing wheels - especially ones as intricate as those.

If I am happy with the finish of a quick blez with a palm sander and brushed-on Hammerite then I do them myself. Otherwise its a job for somebody else.

Mrs is still using my civic as I sold her car as it was going to cost me big bucks!!

Can’t find a replacement eBay scumtree face book is littered with utter scrap these days! “Only needs” “it will just be” fuck off itsfucked!

Spent yesterday at buxtons oval! Bus Bangor racing! Was brill!

Yeah I'm with DaveNumbers on the wheels, I had a go at my (much less intricate) Saab wheels with sandpaper, a flap disc in the drill, a sanding pad and there was STILL paint and crud on the metal - I'd not got anywhere near painting them!

I got 4 wheels blasted and powder coated for £150 locally, complete no-brainer at that price. I;d have lost days of my life, and probably at least one finger had I continued to do them myself. And they'd have looked shit because I'm a fat handed twat.

The exhaust on the panda has been blowing for a while, so it got treated to a full new SPORTZ exhaust system today, it was blowing at the front and ended up completely detaching itself from the back box. It was LOUD. I'd forgotten how sweet the engine sounds when you rev its wee titties off,so it was a happy drone free drive back. Since I've had it its had a full set of low profile tyres, brakes and discs all round, sorted the tracking which was out and now the zorst, as well as all the work Cort done on it before I bought it. Many £££ spent. Can't help but like it though, normally I'm bored with a car within a few months but I've still got the urge to keep up the little improvements. Next thing on the list is to refurb the alloys and give it a proper detail. I'd also like to find a breaker that hasn't had its front end obliterated so I can pinch a bit of bumper trim that's missing. Unfortunately the 100hp's are like hen's teeth at scrappies!

Guest Hooli

Wiring should have just be two wires to each speaker. Provided it's new enough to have ISO stereo connections of course.

Wiring should have just be two wires to each speaker. Provided it's new enough to have ISO stereo connections of course.

It's got an aftermarket stereo so I assume it's already been wired to accept iso stereos. I'm popping in my own DAB/Bluetooth one today so will see if that makes a difference.

Guest Hooli

Then it'll just be two wires to each speaker, normally the same colour but one with a trace.

The normal faults I've found are loose connections at the speaker or behind the head unit, as that's all that gets disturbed when things are changed.

Then it'll just be two wires to each speaker, normally the same colour but one with a trace.

The normal faults I've found are loose connections at the speaker or behind the head unit, as that's all that gets disturbed when things are changed.

Thanks, I'll go and have a look later today

Guest Hooli

If the speakers aren't marked for polarity then you can pop a 9v batt across the terminals & see which way the cone moves. You want it moving into the car when it 'pops' for the best results.

Right had a look at the rear speakers, they are also Vibe.. but wired so horrendously. One wire isn't even connected so explain non action. Fitted my Bluetooth headunit and hid the mic wires and dashcam so dead pleased. Did the front and rear sidelights with led versions. Just need to sort this utter bodge/mess of wiring to the speakers which is annoying me. Lastly whatever is loose in the steering, nothings leaking which is always good but it's just a weird feeling through the steering.