The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The whole day yesterday was spent cutting out two rusty brake pipes the Rover has just failed its MoT on, making up new ones and splicing them in. What a horrible job, I can see why the garage didn't want it. The hardest part was flaring the old pipes in situ, using a vice-mounted flaring tool I borrowed from work. I made a temporary workbench out of an old piece of steel shelving, with a vice bolted to it, then propped it up on two plastic crates to get the required height. It still needs to be bled up but I pumped the pedal a few times and no leaks that I could see, so...fingers crossed.

Re the Kent storm, we either avoided it in Herne Bay, or I slept through it!

From about 11.00 to 1.30.  Absolutely amazing.  Sorry you missed it!  I can't see how you wouldn't have had it, you're not that far from me...

I've never seen anything like it in my life (cue the song from Dr Doolittle...)

6c4e8e76f3d9405fe58e0d1d3c74efea.jpg

Rest in Pieces, you faithful 250 quid soldier.

7 years of work, Three Currys extended warranty callout, two DIY repairs and many eaten pieces of clothing in your dropped drum. You will not be forgiven for eating my brand new 80 quid cycling bibs however.

Sadly you didn't quite manage to finish your last cycle without letting out that fatal electrical dying smell. However you will continue to live on as welding practice or possibly even part of an Austin 1100.

Quite fitting that it died as Thunder and Lightening is blowing over.

Looking very dark and stormy here as well. But apart from a tad of rain, nuffin' yet :(

Just checked the wheelarches on the D2 and discovered I am a landowner! Yup, at least an acre of mud and dirt in the arches, I shall scrape it all out and plant some spuds later.

Boot fair haul* this morning. I already have the Mondeo book, but good to have a spare!

Anyway..the Mondy book seller was the other '93 Mondeo owner in the Bay! They live 500 yards from me. They are running it as a workhorse until it dies. So I have told them where I live, and that I might be interested in it as a spares car once it goes pop. Very rusty arches bodged up.

post-20084-0-29812200-1527418944_thumb.jpg

I have just covered my arms in dirt and waxoyl. Bloody tricky stuff to get off once it's mixed. My arms and hands will Never rust now. Oh, I may have done the wheel arches as well, but it seems they were incidental to doing my hands! Oh yes, also discovered a blocked drain on the passenger side, cleaned out and about a gallon of water poured out - something to do with the roof I presume?

Made the most of the warm weather between thunderstorms and got Shonky the bx up on ramps. Oil and filter change done and then had a grovel underneath checking for rust, thankfully none found. Can't believe how solid this car is considering his £150 purchase price 18 months ago. Anyway dragged the pressure washer out and a spray bottle of TFR. Result is nice clean engine and all the underbody washed off. Will check for any loose bits of underseal then crack out the compressor and waxoil next weekend. Hopefully that should hold off any rust for a few more years. Then a check of the suspension components, lights and MOT time. I've let him run out of mot as i had 3 cars all due mot's in the space of 5 weeks, this will spread the gap out a bit more. Then he will be off to Cornwall in July again.

post-740-0-49775900-1527430725_thumb.jpg

As originally purchased.

post-740-0-84520800-1527430767_thumb.jpg 

6c4e8e76f3d9405fe58e0d1d3c74efea.jpg

Rest in Pieces, you faithful 250 quid soldier.

7 years of work, Three Currys extended warranty callout, two DIY repairs and many eaten pieces of clothing in your dropped drum. You will not be forgiven for eating my brand new 80 quid cycling bibs however.

Sadly you didn't quite manage to finish your last cycle without letting out that fatal electrical dying smell. However you will continue to live on as welding practice or possibly even part of an Austin 1100.

Quite fitting that it died as Thunder and Lightening is blowing over.

I love a good pulling apart session. Especially when it doesn't have to go back together again. My excuse this time is that it's lighter and easier to move when in bits.

5eb5a17fd1ff4c722396512b20b10202.jpg

d7384a1421d55a89207c282e2844796f.jpg

7818d2c264b23218ced87645c43deb5c.jpg

Spider actually was alright. Bearings at the back were very grauncy however.

e6b2adecc696eae14456797fe8905002.jpg

Motor brushes were almost completely worn out to the holders.

4908dd7d0079dbfb321489d69b00ef66.jpg

5aa49aa780095ea5a39de0b68ceb235c.jpg

Internals very manky. No doubt from all the years of 30 degree Celsius washes.

In hindsight it probably could have been fixed. I did want to, however my wife was insistent that we needed a working machine today and now is the time to get a new machine.

At least the bank holiday offers are on.

I know others have mentioned it here before, but these new Samsung machines are even more musical than before.

[Video]

Had another Bulgarian collection today,only for my own pleasure

Picked this up at a good price as the electric starter is fubard,although another is strapped to the rack

16k km is claimed but I'll take that with a pinch of salt

Very tidy overall with some signs of usage

Needs a damn good service including the tappets as it rattles like a good 'in

post-8026-0-91510200-1527438902_thumb.jpg

I should do a thread about my series 2A 109. I've had it a few years and rebuilt the chassis when I got it.

It runs an old Perkins four 203, probably from a forklift. When I brought it out of its shed recently, it was pressurising the head and spewing a lot of oil out the filler cap. It was so bad I was worried it was going to start running on its sump oil.

So I called in the A Team

post-5582-0-95207800-1527438666_thumb.jpg

This rag bag bunch of renegade is led by Jim, age 87, retired mechanic. Youngest is Jim aged 65, retired farmer. 

They're not all called Jim. There's Alex, 77, retired gamekeeper and Nick, 67, retired Art teacher.

Don't mess with the A Team.

post-5582-0-29664500-1527438918_thumb.jpg

We had to drop the engine to make room for the head to clear the bulkhead. 

post-5582-0-81284700-1527439051_thumb.jpg

There were lots of complications, but each one was summarily dealt with.

Every piston had at least the top ring broken.

post-5582-0-19993800-1527439158_thumb.jpg

I'm going to order new shells for the big ends, then we will reassemble the team and reassemble the perky.

The team's wheels.

post-5582-0-57831900-1527439275_thumb.jpg

Had another Bulgarian collection today,only for my own pleasure

Picked this up at a good price as the electric starter is fubard,although another is strapped to the rack

16k km is claimed but I'll take that with a pinch of salt

Very tidy overall with some signs of usage

Needs a damn good service including the tappets as it rattles like a good 'in

Are you riding it home?!

Debut collection caper on for tomorrow. Excited.

Only about 60 miles away but still 2.5 hrs via walk, tram, train, walk, train, friendly-seller-car-ride (because Bank Holiday), waft home in new purchase.

Blind purchase yesterday, much cheapness, struck gold now I've actually seen the photos today, v. friendly seller.

What’s the newest normal car that will go on a classic policy?

My R reg 216 cab went on one but presumably because it’s a cabriolet

205? Mk2 golf?

Cooking models, not fast ones.

Edit - I now see this isn’t the question thread. Meh.