The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Convert washing line into spray shop - check

Noticed my push mowers black powder coat was flaking off and the frame was rusting quite badly so I gave it a sand, couple of primers, and a few topcoats of British racing green Rustoleum. My mower now looks like it previously lived in the engine bay of a Morris Minor. Huzzah!

post-3538-0-52004200-1521803902_thumb.jpeg

The cassettes are all D90s/120s that an old giffer used to record Radio 2 programmes onto.

Twenty years ago I had a summer job where I shared an office with a slightly eccentric chap who played recordings of Robbie Vincent's show on BBC Radio London from the 80's all bloody day, every day. I think I heard the catchphrase "if it moves, funk it" about 1,000 times during my employment.

I had completely repressed that memory until now. Made me smile, so thank you.

I am currently flailing / shitting bricks just a little bit.

Got a job interview next Thursday... in Birmingham.

I managed to get flights for a decent price, so that's sorted, and got the time off the current job. Still, the closing date for applications was way back at the beginning of February, I thought I hadn't got it and had totally forgotten about it. I then got an email last night saying come for interview next week please.

AARGH!

Still, potential 40% salary increase is worth it.

I am currently flailing / shitting bricks just a little bit.

Got a job interview next Thursday... in Birmingham.

I managed to get flights for a decent price, so that's sorted, and got the time off the current job. Still, the closing date for applications was way back at the beginning of February, I thought I hadn't got it and had totally forgotten about it. I then got an email last night saying come for interview next week please.

AARGH!

Still, potential 40% salary increase is worth it.

Birmingham, Alabama or Brum, West Midlands?

who was driving a VW Golf car, with a trailer carrying the car, VRM BF7875, felt it wasn’t safe to continue

Err, a Golf? Towing a Flatbed trailer (easy 600-700kg) with a Model A Ford on it (1050kg). Strikes me it wasn't overly safe to start the journey, never mind continue.

Talking to one of the dads at school today. He bought a 1.9 diesel zafira from one of them can't get credit car places about 10 months ago. Tells me it's in the garage due to lots of smoke and stuff. Verdict is rings have gone and.other stuff so it's 3 grand for a rebuild or get another engine and swap for around 2 grand. He hasn't got a pot to piss in so is knackered. I think he said he pays £150.00 a month over five years for a 10 plate zafira with 98,000 miles on when he bought it. He thinks he may have a 12 month warranty but doesn't know. He said the salesman said it did but it isn't on the paperwork. Felt a bit last telling him how I had scrapped the primera and lost £150.00.

What a cack situation. Its things like that that can drop people seriously in the shit, he'll now be paying £150 a month until the end of time for something that's now worth about 40p. I think I'd be backing it into a suitably large bollard on that news.

I know. I seen him today and he has had the car for 14 months. So nearly four years to pay for a ornament. I also would be looking to make it disappear but he didn't take gap insurance and the insurance value is maybe £2,500 for a total loss. So fecked either way. To be fair he was so made up to get finance ,at a silly rate. That he never really asked about the small details. Myself I would be handing it back to the finance company and sorting a payment plan on the outstanding balance.

Not all trailers are that heavy and I’d bet a Golf is rated to tow at least 1500kg if it’s a reasonably modern one

Yeap the twin axle 16ft tilt bed Brian James I had was only 600kg empty. A single axle motorsport trailer would probably come in at between 3 and 400kg. Not an ideal towing combination but in good weather probably acceptable.

I cant find the photo now but i think the trailer was a twin axle Indespension type, possibly a tipper.... those are not sub 500kg lightweights.

Obviously I dont know the guy and at risk of starting the shitstorm again, he is most likely towing beyond legal capacity as well as thinking its ok to leave it unattended by the roadside.... clueless giffer? naive fool? ignorant throbber? it could go either way tbh.

Isn't towing weight down to the setup of the rear axle and suspension? Which is why some old estates have a large towing capacity but low engine power.

Also isn't it the maximum loaded weight of the trailer that matters for legal reasons, not how much was on it at the time? I.e. if you have a 2.5 tonne capable trailer empty, but you're using a vehicle that can only tow 1.5 tonnes, its illegal?

Isn't towing weight down to the setup of the rear axle and suspension? Which is why some old estates have a large towing capacity but low engine power.

Also isn't it the maximum loaded weight of the trailer that matters for legal reasons, not how much was on it at the time? I.e. if you have a 2.5 tonne capable trailer empty, but you're using a vehicle that can only tow 1.5 tonnes, its illegal?

No there is either case law when it got thrown out or a letter from DVSA telling their operatives they can't do people for future crimes

I bloody loved minidiscs, what was it, a whole GIGABYTE of music on one of the wee things? Was a revelation before mp3 players became common

It wasn't really measured in GBs as it was primarily audio - although Sony did to MD Data drives and disks later.

A standard MD was 74 minutes, give or take the same as a standard CD. They later made 80 minute ones as some CDs used overburning to go past the 74:59 limit.

I had a Sony deck that could clone MD content tables so I could put an 80 in, turn the power off, swap the MD for a 74, power on, "erase all" and it would write the 80 minute data out. Useful when the 80s were £2 more.

It used compression so wasn't as good as a CD technically, but it was very hard to hear the difference. I had two portables, a deck and a Sony head unit.

It wasn't really measured in GBs as it was primarily audio - although Sony did to MD Data drives and disks later.

A standard MD was 74 minutes, give or take the same as a standard CD. They later made 80 minute ones as some CDs used overburning to go past the 74:59 limit.

I had a Sony deck that could clone MD content tables so I could put an 80 in, turn the power off, swap the MD for a 74, power on, "erase all" and it would write the 80 minute data out. Useful when the 80s were £2 more.

It used compression so wasn't as good as a CD technically, but it was very hard to hear the difference. I had two portables, a deck and a Sony head unit.

I still use MD on a daily basis in my little home studio. I was quite keen to make it ‘shite’ so have analogue mic amps and mixers and a plethora of dated kit lying around.

They were great little things really, especially if you had a good deck that made labelling and the suchlike easy. They enjoyed a limited success because of mp3s being almost simultaneously successful, but i absolutely loved my first ever Sharp unit and am looking for one as we speak!