The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That's pretty sobering news right there, and not an isolated case either - second such instance I've seen this year of a young man deciding it's all too much. Remember, you are not alone, even if you think you are, and if you think 'oh, no-one will miss me.' you couldn't be more wrong. I didn't even know the man, and I'm feeling knocked for six.

Well said, i did'nt ever meet that chap, but i'm sitting here feeling numb. Sad sad day.

Well said, i did'nt ever meet that chap, but i'm sitting here feeling numb. Sad sad day.

Ditto. I've been thinking and been on my mind all day. Online forums are like a modern day pub. Even though you don't often see the people in person, you have a good chin wag and share quite a lot of thoughts+emotions. So you get to know someone very well. I'm sure we knew Hendry more than quite a many other people, his likes+dislikes and interests.

Hence even though you may not ever see someone, they're still a person, a friend and someone to chat to. The only difference is that the medium of communication is through text rather than voice.

I knew things were difficult for him but I had no idea they'd got that bad. 
I hope he got away from his torment. I hope the people who denied him access to his daughter regret it for the rest of their time on this planet. 

Horrendous. Keep shiteing, Greg. May we all keep his memory safe and happy on here. 

No matter what anyone says, this place IS what it used to be.

Despite all our differences (CORSAGATE etc) Greg was one of our own and you lot make me proud to call myself a shiter.

Obviously no arrangements yet but I will do whatever I can to find out details for the funeral etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

When I went to pick up the Mazda I met up with a chap who works there, known him for close to 30 years. He MOT'd my car this morning (but didn't know it was mine) so we had a bit of a catch up (in te snow). 25 years ago, he and I were both going through the mill with our 'exes' re our kids, his good lady accused him of everything under the sun and mine accused me of everything else (molesting my son etc) and we were both in a bad way. As it turned out, we both got full custardy of our children but God, it was a truly awful time and there were several stages when I didn't think he was going to make it (and he I as it turned out). While we were never really good mates/close, we did have each other to talk to about the shit our respective wives threw at us, stuff that no one else was interested in, or would believe for that matter.

I told him about Hendy and that was what set us off about the misery that being denied access etc can cause. I wish I had taken notice of whichever thread the poor bugger posted his woes on, I 'may' have been able to help, or at least, offer support. SOmetimes, that's all you need. God bless lad. :(

Exceptionally sad news about Hendry. I never spoke to or really knew him at all, as I've not been back on AS for very long, but he posted this not 3 weeks ago over in open forums:

Even more depressed than ever, havent got the inclination or attention span to do anything, barely left the house, barely got out of bed for about a week now. Rattling like a junkie from what i assume is hunger because ive barely eaten in days and yet dont feel hungry. Feel tired but cant sleep, meds not helping, cant get counsellor until next week, hes been busy last couple of weeks so havent been for a while. Just cant face anything and in a totally non suicidal way, i just dont want to be here and cant be bothered with life and its same shit different day.

Diagnosed with aspergers and emotionally unstable personality disorder as well as depression and dont feel im getting any better despite being on these drugs over a year and at couselling for 6/7 months now usually once a week.

It's quite dramatic that he went from that to this in such a short space of time. Feel particularly bad for his daughter, who will never know her father. Very sad indeed.

I wonder if a tiny bit of good could come of this?

So many shiters with mental health issues. Could we have a pinned thread somewhere with links to possible ways of getting support - NHS, charities, other shiters (I believe we have some who have worked in the field) etc. Just an idea.

Having a kid with aspergers/autism as well, makes me realise we need to get these support resources out there as much as possible.

'Time to Change' did some good work a few years back.

I spotted his Facebook profile earlier, it seems he lost his sister, another child, his wife and then custody of his new daughter in only a matter of a few years, even the strongest minded of people would struggle over news like that, I can't even imagine what he must have been going through but it must have been hell if he felt he couldn't carry on no more.

A lad from work killed himself about 9 years ago, again he was only young, around 25 and was the nicest guy you could meet, I was only talking to him the day before and he was still laughing and joking on break, the following day his mum found him swinging in the apple orchard. I never did find the real reason for it but I did hear that it was because his parents had told him he had to find a home of his own and "blackmailed" him by telling him they was going to throw him out thinking it would be the kick up the arse that he needed but it back fired on them. I still feel numb about that and I know a few people from work who were really affect by it and still are.

Fuck.

Just seen the news about Greg Hendry.

:(

Why? Seriously why?

RIP Friend. I never met him but I feel the pain.

RIP Greg Hendry, your contributions and fantastic knowledge of spec will be especially missed.

Edit*

You know guys, I was on here yesterday and I did wonder about him briefly as I'd not seen him on here in a while.

I really wished I'd reached out, sent him my phone number and had a chat, at the very least. I am a good listner and I know that life can be tough.

I just wished I'd reached out a bit more.

:|

:cry:

Don't know what to say really. I never met Hendry but feel like I knew him through his posts here. He was clearly very knowledgeable about car trivia and wrote with passion and eloquence on the subject. Poor bloke's head must have been in a very bad way for it to come to this at such a young age. I hope he finds peace in shite heaven. 

Like all of us I’m a bit taken aback by the news of Hendry’s passing and the circumstances. Whenever you meet anyone, or deal with them on such places as here, you never know what battles they are fighting inside. A sobering reminder to how sensitively we should treat each other when we don’t know true circumstances.

Mo, don’t beat yourself up fella, chalk it up and move on. You have your own struggles, as we all do, without adding that regret.

RIP Hendry

Maybe a bit too soon just right now, but it might be worth writing to Hendrys father to let him know of this place. Not for him, his mother or his ex, but for his little girl. The daughter who will grow up without knowing really what her father was like. When she gets older, and if this place is still around, she may want to revisit his old posts to understand what he liked, what interested him and who her father was.