The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Really one for the stupid questions thread..... I'm looking at a cheap w203 later on with the following description

Hi how's you yea the car needs transported ad the rear wheel has collapsed due to the top arm breaking but the new one is there

My mums house is less than half a mile from the car and its an empty village..... What's the chances I could limp it that distance.....

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

All you can do is try but the potential for disaster is strong as it's a driven wheel.

A lump of 2x4 on the bottom arm and some ratchet straps could be used to keep the wheel away from rubbing on the inner wheelarch but it's ropey as fuck and I wouldn't like to explain it to the Fed's if something did go wrong.

Can you not borrow a dolly and tow it the half mile at 5mph?

All you can do is try but the potential for disaster is strong as it's a driven wheel.

A lump of 2x4 on the bottom arm and some ratchet straps could be used to keep the wheel away from rubbing on the inner wheelarch but it's ropey as fuck and I wouldn't like to explain it to the Fed's if something did go wrong.

Can you not borrow a dolly and tow it the half mile at 5mph?

Never thought of a dolly... Raising the rear wheels?

I've now learned there's three different clutch hoses for the Princess.  The one I've got is longer than the original by about as much as the other one I got was shorter.  Longer is good, longer is fine.  One to beware of in the future.  There were three different engines fitted - B, O, and E series - so perhaps that's why there's three different hose lengths?

Really one for the stupid questions thread..... I'm looking at a cheap w203 later on with the following description

Hi how's you yea the car needs transported ad the rear wheel has collapsed due to the top arm breaking but the new one is there

My mums house is less than half a mile from the car and its an empty village..... What's the chances I could limp it that distance.....

Change it where it is? In a quiet village should a possible.

Change it where it is? In a quiet village should a possible.

Well that was the plan..... But it really was not as described.

Rather than just the top arm being bust, so was another arm, the shock was snapped, the tyre was destroyed, the brake hose snapped and not much holding the hub on.

Added to which he had only posted pics of the good side - the drivers side had badly rotten arches and plenty of damage.

In a final flourish whilst he had claimed it had only happened the other day, the car had obviously been sat for a long time and was packed full of kids toys, obviously being used as a shed.

ANNNNND whoever bought it new had specced a blue dash and wheel.

He still wanted no less than £300 m8.... Good luck

CultureShock*TynesiderEyesWideShut*LeedsEh?

No kidding - at all - young laydee crossing road with 'the scarf round the head' and the mobby is sticking out by her cheek, obv on her ear!!

Well... Leaves both hands free, I suppose

Genuine GobSmackked Moment :)

TS

.... what's the 'hot adhesive', eh?

MundanoGaffaBumpers may be a thing of the past....

TS

It's service time for the Volvo.

The ARB links have now been replaced with actual ones.

An oil/filter change is due (on the time interval!) and the ATF/filter need replacing and the gearbox sump cleaning, I'm not sure it's ever been done and the gears are starting to shunt. There's a bit of hesitation off the line when you put it in D accompanied by a big clunk and the car jumping forward from stationary.

However the spark plugs are clean, I replaced the HT leads a few months ago after Old Man broke one, and the air filter looks brand new and is a Mann Filter one. That's £30 that doesn't need spending.

Of course, this has been countered by looking at the car to find that a large stone has punched a hole through the right front indicator lens, and the tiny paint bubble on the driver's front wheelarch is now a load of paint crazing. 

Fuck road salt.

Today I am mostly pissed off with Jaguar, and the XF in particular. Pain in the arse.... Why would you change the position of the terminals in the same tail light plugs, halfway through a model year. Caused me a good hour of head scratching, half an hour of panic, then another hour to rip it all out and start again, Wrecking a £200 wiring loom at the same time. I'm having a good drink tonight, and the bill's going to Ratan Tata. That'll teach him.

The clocks in the Transit have now completely died - they've been temperamental since I bought it, but the fuel gauge always worked - now that's dead too, and the milometer and clock displays are blank.  So if I get time this weekend after fixing the C4 for its retest on Tuesday and all the other shite I need to get done, I'm going to have to haul the instrument cluster out and see if it's saveable.  There are zillions of secondhand clusters for Mk6 Transits on eBay, but not for the dual fuel version.

I reckon it needs a new thermostat as well, as it's running at about 65-70oC which is too cold really, and I think that may be part of the reason the LPG keeps cutting out.  I've not investigated how twattish a job it's going to be to replace, but my guess would be "very".

That ratty old LDV Pilot on eBay is looking more and more tempting...

The clocks in the Transit have now completely died - they've been temperamental since I bought it, but the fuel gauge always worked - now that's dead too, and the milometer and clock displays are blank. So if I get time this weekend after fixing the C4 for its retest on Tuesday and all the other shite I need to get done, I'm going to have to haul the instrument cluster out and see if it's saveable. There are zillions of secondhand clusters for Mk6 Transits on eBay, but not for the dual fuel version.

I reckon it needs a new thermostat as well, as it's running at about 65-70oC which is too cold really, and I think that may be part of the reason the LPG keeps cutting out. I've not investigated how twattish a job it's going to be to replace, but my guess would be "very".

That ratty old LDV Pilot on eBay is looking more and more tempting...

Have you got 2 batteries fitted to that, if so are they both well charged?

Today was sunny and today was a day off.   Sorry, just wanted to see those words in a single sentence.... 

It was also the first chance I have had to get Morris out since I got it back from having the brake pipes done. 

Mrs Rocker said she fancied an ice cream so we went to the seaside....

post-5367-0-01152200-1518815367_thumb.jpg

post-5367-0-39157200-1518815449_thumb.jpg