The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I put a cheap private plate on my van that matches the Duster / my company name which was based on such / means absolutely nothing to anyone else

Meh, whatever

What did your old one you left on your first Lag II mean?

I wish Id known you could plate rape cars for their original reg years ago when I had my first car because id have kept that and transferred it onto every car ive had since, just for sentimental reasons of it being the reg of my first car. 

Calling Louise2CV! I think this was yours and is back in my local garage. (Same garage that kicked off my MGB GT search last year)

159032435c661b16d6a414a6e8939ce5.jpg

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wander back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Randomly there is a vase with flowers perched on the back parcel shelf.

Calling Louise2CV! I think this was yours and is back in my local garage. (Same garage that kicked off my MGB GT search last year)

159032435c661b16d6a414a6e8939ce5.jpg

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wonder back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Are they Daffodils?

Don't Google w124 failed balljoint pics

Well I’ve nursed it home - creaking is certainly getting worse on each journey, so it’s staying put until my merc guy can come and look at it. It’s weird- it sounds like someone squeezing a ballon wearing rubber gloves.

A quick search of GSF says they ball joints are £20 or £38 depending on manufacturer. This is a relief as some folk on Mercedes club forum seemed to be saying that the 320’s balls were integral to the suspension arms and need a wallet transplant. This seems to be just the sportline editions though.

Anyway, it could be worse- I’ve just had the wings painted so don’t want to destroy them having a wheel making a bid for freedom. I can use the bike or 2cv in the meantime.

The upgraded breather kit, sump drop kit etc has just been delivered courtesy of Neo Brothers for Elmo the Saab 9-3 in readiness to fix the oil pressure issue. Yesterday I removed the valve cover as a check for top end engine sludge. Not horrible around the camshafts thankfully, but a LOT of crispy carbon flakes in the timing chain tunnel area. Many loose and falling, or ready to fall down inside the engine. So safe to assume that sludge is well progressed and that the sump is full of the stuff blocking the oil pick up screen. Much sump dropping, cleaning and whatnot ahoy then!

Last time it was there, it was there for a couple of days. If it is yours, I can have a wander back another day and check how well the new owners are looking after it. ;)

Yes, it's Louise's old one.  The same question was asked last year:

http://autoshite.com/topic/29877-louise2cvs-allegro/?hl=allegro

I think it resides in Horfield now (one of my old stomping grounds)

Does anyone have a stash of Custom Car magazines from about 1995 to about 2002?  I'm looking for an article on a massive lilac custom, possibly a Lincoln and probably called Titanic.  I can only find one picture of it online, this one:

post-5335-0-12880200-1518631437_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly difficult to find any information on it.  From what I remember I think it was built in Florida from two or more cars and shipped to the UK to do a tour of UK roads, for which it was wholly unsuited.  I know it's from the '95-'02 time window as that's when I was reading Custom Car.  That was the only magazine I was subscribed to at the time so it's unlikely to be in Street Machine or one of the other UK publications.  One of those moments where I wish I'd kept my old magazines now, I'm not even sure what happened to them.

Does anyone have a stash of Custom Car magazines from about 1995 to about 2002?  I'm looking for an article on a massive lilac custom, possibly a Lincoln and probably called Titanic.  I can only find one picture of it online, this one:

attachicon.gifdownload (1).jpg

Surprisingly difficult to find any information on it.  From what I remember I think it was built in Florida from two or more cars and shipped to the UK to do a tour of UK roads, for which it was wholly unsuited.  I know it's from the '95-'02 time window as that's when I was reading Custom Car.  That was the only magazine I was subscribed to at the time so it's unlikely to be in Street Machine or one of the other UK publications.  One of those moments where I wish I'd kept my old magazines now, I'm not even sure what happened to them.

I think this is what you are looking for:

1956 Lincoln Premier by Terry Cook

http://www.decorides.com/europelowrider.htm

Yes, it's Louise's old one. The same question was asked last year:

http://autoshite.com/topic/29877-louise2cvs-allegro/?hl=allegro

I think it resides in Horfield now (one of my old stomping grounds)

Yes and that second post was mine from last year. Unfortunately I couldn't find that thread! Interesting its in Horfield now. I know that area well being a uni student at UWE.

Because the merc is hors du combat I and it was -2 and very icey ( so bike out) this morning i took the 2cv to work. Started as soon as the fuel pumped through, but while waiting for it to warm up a bit realised the clock was an hour ahead. Yes, it’s not been driven since the clocks changed. When is bst starting? Is it worth changing the time?

As some of you may have seen on the grumpy thread, I didn't have the best of weeks last week - left the interior light on overnight by accident, flattened the battery, and in my haste to get to work the next day, put the sodding thing on back to front. In my defense, the POSITIVE terminal has a feckin huge hinged bit of BLACK plastic over it, and a tiny red + printed on the side that is pointing towards the floor when the battery is off... but yeah, I R thick too.

Started it up and the battery light was on, along with the ABS light. Shit. Had to nick mother HH-R's car and look at it at the weekend.

Huge bolted in 120 amp fuse blown. Wasted some petrol going to my two local motor factors, who didn't have one (I've never successfully bought a part from either of them in 12 years of car ownership). Euro car parts? No. Maplin? Nope. Halfords? Negative.

FFS. I didn't really need it desperately, but would have liked to have known the extent of the damage before its MOT this Friday - if the ECU and ABS modules were knackered, along with maybe an alternator - realistically, it was scrap. But equally, that fuse could have protected it and everything could be fine.

In a third display of epic buffoonery, I ordered the correct fuse online - and had it delivered to my old address.

Anyway, finally got it today and... amazingly, everything works. Was a bit puzzled that the rear number plate lights didn't work, but looking at the state of the bulbs, they have been off for a while. Well, apart from the radio, but I can live with that. If it really is fooked, I have a few CD players lying around.

So phew... got away with a £4 fuse and a packet of £1 bulbs.

A few changes in circumstances means it will be placed into semi retirement soon - high days and holidays only. Got my bus pass from work so that's commuting sorted. Finished my college course in June and my new gaff will have a garage so it will be out of the elements when I move in.

Probably a bit odd having an old Kia Rio as a garage queen but it is in decent nick - you lot might be lusting over it when they have all been scrapped in 2030! ebay L@@K OMG GARAGE FNID etc

It's been a really good motor - only FTP has been the idiot owner.

The upgraded breather kit, sump drop kit etc has just been delivered courtesy of Neo Brothers for Elmo the Saab 9-3 in readiness to fix the oil pressure issue. Yesterday I removed the valve cover as a check for top end engine sludge. Not horrible around the camshafts thankfully, but a LOT of crispy carbon flakes in the timing chain tunnel area. Many loose and falling, or ready to fall down inside the engine. So safe to assume that sludge is well progressed and that the sump is full of the stuff blocking the oil pick up screen. Much sump dropping, cleaning and whatnot ahoy then!

Did you get the proper anerobic sealer for the sump ? Don’t use anything silicone based as it squeezes out and can block the strainer. The proper stuff looks like Tesco value strawberry jam . Hope I’m not teaching granny etc

Just had a text from my parents - "Hi, we just bought a house".  I didn't even know they were looking - last time I spoke to them they were saying Portishead is too expensive and they would be renting for the foreseeable.  Looks nice - modernish 3-bed semi with garage.  About 100 grand more than the same house would be in Norfolk, but hey ho...

Just had a text from my parents - "Hi, we just bought a house". I didn't even know they were looking - last time I spoke to them they were saying Portishead is too expensive and they would be renting for the foreseeable. Looks nice - modernish 3-bed semi with garage. About 100 grand more than the same house would be in Norfolk, but hey ho...

If/when the trainline opens in Portishead, house prices are likely to raise even more. Personally I don't see what people like so much about Portishead, when Clevedon is down the road and has a much nicer seafront.

Did you get the proper anerobic sealer for the sump ? Don’t use anything silicone based as it squeezes out and can block the strainer. The proper stuff looks like Tesco value strawberry jam . Hope I’m not teaching granny etc

As in red?

I've never seen the stuff before use to know.

If/when the trainline opens in Portishead, house prices are likely to raise even more. Personally I don't see what people like so much about Portishead, when Clevedon is down the road and has a much nicer seafront.

Clevedon is a bit funny though.  Parts of it are lovely, other parts are almost shit enough to rival WSM, and there doesn't seem to be a lot in between.

I do agree though that Portishead seems almost comically overpriced for what it is.  The 3-bed bungalow my parents are currently renting has a market value of £425K ffs.  How is anyone on a normal salary supposed to be able to afford somewhere decent at those rates?