The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well this morning the roads were a little damp but the Audi decided to go into some sort of limp mode and took half the journey to work to wind up to 50mph, so there were few opportunities to test the grip.  It had miraculously sorted itself by this evening, but then the roads were bone dry.

195/65 15, because posh*.

Dizzle isn't it? Our VW LT used to do that because the actuator on the turbo would seize. Pulling over and restarting the engine always cured it enough to get going again. A hard trick to pull off without your passengers noticing...

POW - Street legal Cortina. Well other than it's not insured and I need to take the interior back out to put down the insulation and flush the cooling system etc etc.

Still a mile stone.

I dragged the Maestro out too. Still not sure what I'm going to do with this especially now the Cortina is road worth. I've just not driven it at all so thinking of selingl it and getting something slightly more modern like an mx5 or slk for the summer. I was debating fitting the replacement rear arches before selling but at the rate I work the mot would have expired by the time I've done.

On the other hand if I don't I won't have anything to tinker with,

post-1514-0-29601700-1518469301_thumb.jpg

Really in a quandry and it's about as much fun as trying to pull your foreskin over your head while whistling 'Dixie'. I am as I may have mentioned eleswhere, skint (that '1' I missed in accounting is really biting me in the bum) and I know 3 cars are 2 to many. But, the sensible one is the KIA... but I don't like it. Next most (im)practical is the Mazda but that needs taxing, insuring and mot/service in the next month. And then there's the BGD. Yes it's practical (well, sort of as in it's a car and does that job) but Christ on a bike it's sodding expensive to run and I hate leaving it outside 'cos fear.  Also, as a daily driver it sort of casts a long shadow (ha ha pun intended!  :)  )

So what to do? Sell all? I want to keep the Mazda so that is staying even though it's the least suitable car but that still leaves the other two. The KIA is worthless (unless you like muddy interiors?) and the Bentley has cost so much I will lose even if I get the maximum retail value (£25 - 32K) which I won't!

Fed up of the damp garage costing loads, fed up of living in this shithole (both flat and city). Damn this feeling healthier, I was quite happy expecting to peg out at any moment, now I fear I may last another year or two I have to make decisions.

Oh, I booked the Mazda into the local main dealers again for service and MOT, 26th of the month. Courtesy car included and £100 for the service but pricy MOT (£54). I know it goes against the grain somewhat to take cars to the main dealers but Central garages really are (and have been) excellent and cheap!

'vensis is booked in for an MOT tomorrow. Gave it a look over and the friction material had come away from the backing on the front drivers side. New pads in and all else seems OK. Vito is in next week.. Why do all my motors have MOT's within a week or 2 of each other.. On the upside, Vito now has 5 tyres on it with 8mm... The bonus of changing tyres on caravans due to age.. they get bunged in the skip even if never been on the road... proper commercial rated too, but only get them from big single axle Baileys and Swifts.. 195/70/15c. Most caravan companies fit ditchfinders from new, Bailey fitted Michelin!

Flame away, but a tyre doesn't turn into a pumpkin when it reaches 7years old.. especially if kept in the dark and dry..

POW - Street legal Cortina. Well other than it's not insured and I need to take the interior back out to put down the insulation and flush the cooling system etc etc.

Still a mile stone.

I dragged the Maestro out too. Still not sure what I'm going to do with this especially now the Cortina is road worth. I've just not driven it at all so thinking of selingl it and getting something slightly more modern like an mx5 or slk for the summer. I was debating fitting the replacement rear arches before selling but at the rate I work the mot would have expired by the time I've done.

On the other hand if I don't I won't have anything to tinker with,

attachicon.gifIMG_2791.JPG

Holy Moly.  What a lovely pair (fnar fnar).

Genuinely, well done.  Smashing.

I think I want a car that doesn't exist.

I'd like a van big enough to carry a motorcycle with room to spare, but also be able to carry 5 people if required. But in people carrying mode it would need to be comfortable and car like. Thus ruling out transits with extra seats.

Factory vivaro crew cabs are quite nice inside but the solid bulkhead means not enough length for a motorcycle

I detest people carriers. Been there done that and to be honest most of them aren't really big enough to do the motorcycle thing without hassle.

I hate to say vw transporters are probably a good shout and they are sort of socially acceptable most places where real vans just aren't. But thankfully they are stupidly expensive for what they are.

Nothing I've mentioned thus far would qualify as shite either (read interesting or different)

About the only thing I can think of would be a Citroën synergie /pugnot 806

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Hyundai i800 fits the bill :)

Probably been asked elsewhere, but I can't work it out - what's the deal with fitting proper bogstandard prefix plates to moderns?

Followed an F-Pace last night with S693*** plate. Even with the most complex mental athletics I couldn't make it say anything, it wasn't spaced weirdly or anything.

When I got back, I checked it out (cos geek) and it's correctly registered, a 2016 Jag.

What's the deal? Just some kind of sentimental attachment, or am I missing a luxury life hidden from speeding cameras and parking fines?

Private plates have been getting more and more tenuous recently.  When I were a lad it was either a pre-suffix plate or a Norn Iron number.  Since then they have grown steadily more diverse as society has become ever shallower and more narcissistic.  It started with suffix and prefix plates with only one number, then two numbers the same, then three either the same or sequential, and now it seems pretty much anything can be sold as a "unique" private plate.  Yet another aspect of modernity that I really don't understand.

Bought a private plate for the Aldi. As its modern looking, to most eyes it looks not old at all (eg under 4 years) and so in fashion. It keeps Mrs SiC happy as then she can drive a modern, fashionable looking car. The plate was £250, so not a lot really either.

I know it isn't a Autoshite thing, but sometimes it is nice to drive something in fashion and half desirable. Like it's nice sometimes to wear clothes and look good, fashionable & modern.

Plus it keeps her happy and less bothered about the heaps I bring home.

'vensis is booked in for an MOT tomorrow. Gave it a look over and the friction material had come away from the backing on the front drivers side. New pads in and all else seems OK. Vito is in next week.. Why do all my motors have MOT's within a week or 2 of each other.. On the upside, Vito now has 5 tyres on it with 8mm... The bonus of changing tyres on caravans due to age.. they get bunged in the skip even if never been on the road... proper commercial rated too, but only get them from big single axle Baileys and Swifts.. 195/70/15c. Most caravan companies fit ditchfinders from new, Bailey fitted Michelin!

Flame away, but a tyre doesn't turn into a pumpkin when it reaches 7years old.. especially if kept in the dark and dry..

Yep that's where the rears on mine came from too. Wierdly they say trailermaxx on them but have all the correct load ratings a C mark - they seem to be wearing rapidly though.

I have three number plates - all ending 1812. I bought my wife a car as a wedding present, and thought it’d be a nice thing to have on the car.

It also, more importantly, acts as a daily reminder of when I need to buy petrol station flowers.

Since that, I bought two more at £50 plus fees.

My dad and stepmum had private 'his and hers' plates once. Think they've lapsed now as I've not seem them on their latest cars, but it was nice when they had them.

If I ever have a car with a cool plate I might rape it and claim it as my own forever, that's not happened yet though, and given my broad age range it would have to either be dateless or really old to not fall foul of the making it look newer rule.

In our old building someone from the company downstairs had what was a brand new vw touran with a suffix A plate on. Was odd in itself but also looked 2x more stupid as it was on a brand new number plate set with the EU flag on...

Some people are sentimental. Back a few years ago near me there was a brown Volvo 244 registered MUM964V. It was there a long time and when it finally disappeared, the plate was transferred on to the K11 Micra that replaced it.

Our own David Fowler's modern Golf has an H prefix plate transferred onto it from a bus he used to work with.

Regular prefix plates can be bought as private sometimes, I've seen a 2014 Avensis with 'T841LEY' - but that's quite clever as it reads 'T BAILEY' reasonably legibly. If something's abstract it's probably been transferred from another vehicle that meant something to the owner - first car they bought new or something perhaps.