The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Or do what I do Shep and drive in silence. Am I the only person on here who does that? Being in a car on my own is bliss, especially on a long journey. Can't remember the last time I put the radio on, it's all just noise to me.

But I need to drown out those worrying creaks and groans.

The last car I drove for any length of time without music on was a shagged out 1975 Series 3 Land Rover. It didn't have a radio, and the gearbox whine was louder than the engine. :D

However, I don't listen to the radio either. I have a radio with a USB port and use a thumb drive full of my own music collection instead.

Or do what I do Shep and drive in silence. Am I the only person on here who does that? Being in a car on my own is bliss, especially on a long journey. Can't remember the last time I put the radio on, it's all just noise to me.

I do like to have periods silence for contemplation and meditation, but not when I'm driving; I find that listening to music while on the move alleviates boredom on long journeys and lifts my mood on any journey :)

The last time I drove without sounds for any length of time was when I did my HGV test, but that was a mandatory thing.

Took it out a wee drive, the tyres are rubbing in the arches when turning corners, bastid. Having researched online, which I really should have done in the first place, the panda has 45 profile as standard, these babies are 55. There was a big FO nail in one of the smaller ones which was needing replaced anyway, looks like I'll be buying another 3. JOYFUL GLEE

The last car I drove for any length of time without music on was a shagged out 1975 Series 3 Land Rover. It didn't have a radio, and the gearbox whine was louder than the engine.

My first Land Rover was a Series 3 Lightweight and never bothered to even fit a radio since it was so noisy. In fact I think it was considered a joke in LtWt circles if one was ever fitted since it would have been impossible to listen when on the move.

I once borrowed a professional noise meter and took it for a drive and measured nearly 85dBa at 50mph so, in theory, I should have been wearing ear defenders! Funnily it was even noisier with the overdrive engaged probably because of the extra whining gears.

Squirrel2

I think this is as good a thread as any, my local Aldi were knocking out Michelin branded wiper blades in 18" 20" 21" and 22" forcertain and potentially other lengths for £4.99 a pop today.

I got a pair for the Saab as it was still wearing the Bosch Aero ones that were fitted when Vantman sold it to me 2 and a half years ago up til today.

The old ones were a bit iffy, with various chunks missing and associated streaky bits on the swept area of the screen.

These are quite an improvement. Would recommend. They weren't in the 'specials' aisle, they were in a container by the tills. Worth a look if you need new wipers I'd say. I struggle to find any wipers for under a tenner a pop these days, with the exception of the ones B&M sell which after through research, on sundry vehicles* in lab* conditions have left me at the conclusion you'd be better off just winding the window down and sticking your head out at any speed, as visibility is 186% better compared with the B&M ones, even with hailstones directly impacting your eyeballs at 70mph.

I almost always have classic fm on, it covers up the odd noises along with the bonus of it stopping me getting so stressed that I murder 90% of the people who claim to be in charge of cars.