The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Ignoring weather forecast of rain later, I went to work on my scooter. Brilliant* idea, it was hailing or something on the way back so I never got over 40mph, my eyes stung and I got piss wet through.

Ignoring weather forecast of rain later, I went to work on my scooter. Brilliant* idea, it was hailing or something on the way back so I never got over 40mph, my eyes stung and I got piss wet through.

Open face right?

it's invigorating* plus wrap around safety glasses fit well under lids for your eyes.

Today I tried to describe to a friend from that Trumpreich what Autoshite is. He said, oh, you mean loser cars?

A quick google image search revealed that he nailed it spot on and we agreed that loser cars are full of win.

So we can conclude:

British English                    American English

Autoshite                                 Loser Cars

Some random results from google images to confirm:

2445675163_a12726b75c.jpg

imagen8pz6e.jpg

DSC00108-vi.jpg

Buick_Skylark_kupe__2.jpg

Liked my LDV Cub

2.3 diesel which loved the veg once the leak off pipes were replaced

Went everywhere at 60 max,empty or loaded to the roof

Had to replace the rear crosmember for its last mot with me,then the Mrs sold it to a desperate builder who's Transit had died and needed a van there and then

Made a few quid too

Drove a friend's ldv cub the other day to see what it was like. I'm sure I've never had my foot flat to the carpet in anything as much as that! He said sane though,slow as hell but does same no matter what load

What's the funky yellow one? At the moment I'm just assuming it's one of the 4 hundred and 12 billion Mazda 323 versions.

Searching Google for image seems to think it's a Renault alpine! I'm sure it's a ford badge on it though. A festiva of done description?

This evening Squirrel2 was passenger in a Dacia Logan driven by a colleague that became the filling in the sandwich in a pile-up on the M4 at Swansea as three of us were travelling home. Hit from the back whilst stopped we were propelled into the back of a pick-up in front.

We regularly car share to save travelling costs. Unfortunately our colleague in the back seat suffered neck injuries and we had to wait for an ambulance whilst the fire service assembled their cutting gear before turning the Dacia into a convertible.

We are waiting for news of our colleague who is in A&E in Swansea now but the Dacia is definitely dead - fortunately it is a company car.

The car that hit us was a BMW 1 Series with personalised plates and the unapologetic driver has been let off with a caution! He was quickly picked up by a mate and was first away from the scene much to the annoyance of my other colleague who was driving and is now without her car!

Dead Dacia, however it did drive onto the hard shoulder under its own steam unlike the BMW that hit us.post-21508-0-49024500-1518134812_thumb.jpeg

i rode work 50mph freezing fog..black ice..made the 8 miles through country lanes , go to work couldnt feel my hands at all. so in my frozen brain i put my hands on the exhaust, next thing seeing stairs, dizzy, vomit, stupidly shock and blood rushing to hands, wasnt a good idea, thankfully i got a flip up helmet.

the unapologetic driver has been let off with a caution!

That is quite surprising. If it is blatantly obvious that the vehicle behind wasn't paying attention and crashed into a stationary vehilcle, that would normally be driving without due care in a heartbeat.

I would suggest you recommend to your colleague that they ask the Police why the driver is not being prosecuted. The reason being that if another driver is prosecuted, it makes the insurance claim (and private claim for loss of earnings/excess etc.) much much easier. The moment you mention to the insurers that the other driver was prosecuted, they stop acting like dicks and actually do the job they are paid to do.

I would suggest you recommend to your colleague that they ask the Police why the driver is not being prosecuted. The reason being that if another driver is prosecuted, it makes the insurance claim (and private claim for loss of earnings/excess etc.) much much easier. The moment you mention to the insurers that the other driver was prosecuted, they stop acting like dicks and actually do the job they are paid to do.

If they have been cautioned that is an admission that they committed the offence, won't that be enough for the insurance?

Certainly worth informing them.  If it was a no-blame incident (black ice or a car with no lights on in the dark, for example) and a genuine accident then I imagine they wouldn't have been cautioned.  I don't suppose there's the resources available to arrest every driver for every crash they probably caused so they use the caution-and-bring-them-back-later option instead.  Let the insurers sort it out because "it's a civil matter,  not a criminal one".

Just parked outside the good old Co-op and right in front is one of their delivery wagons. Front all stoved in and water pissing out everywhere with a very unhappy driver sat in the cab.

School run Mum got things a 'bit' wrong and smashed straight into the front of it while it was parked in a big old Trooper type thing, She tried to do a runner as well but fortunately, the car decided that enough was enough and expired at the junction. Police in attendance.

Why are school run folks so bleedin' mental?  Precious cargo must be collected in behemoth, it's safer!  That's someone else's car/child/person, RUN EM OVER.

It was a school run mum who pulled out of a side junction directly in front of my bright yellow Dolomite with it's headlights on. I imagine thing would have been worse for me with an engine/gearbox in my lap than her in a massive Ford SUV thing had my leaky brakes not provided a rudimentary ABS system and un-locked the front wheels so I could swerve into the opposite lane to avoid her.

If they have been cautioned that is an admission that they committed the offence, won't that be enough for the insurance?

Yes, apparently that is enough. However things have moved on: My injured colleague was released from hospital late last night but has suffered a whiplash injury and is going to persue an injury claim against the driver who caused the crash whom we suspect was using his ‘phone at the wheel. This claim is because our work mate has been signed off work for a while and will lose financially as a result.

Squirrel2

That is quite surprising. If it is blatantly obvious that the vehicle behind wasn't paying attention and crashed into a stationary vehilcle, that would normally be driving without due care in a heartbeat.I would suggest you recommend to your colleague that they ask the Police why the driver is not being prosecuted. The reason being that if another driver is prosecuted, it makes the insurance claim (and private claim for loss of earnings/excess etc.) much much easier. The moment you mention to the insurers that the other driver was prosecuted, they stop acting like dicks and actually do the job they are paid to do.

He may get prosecuted yet if our driver is urged to by the insurers dealing with an injury claim.

Had a rage at technology today. Fitting a towbar, and dedicated fancy 13 pin electrics to a 3 series today, an F30 twin turbo diesel thing. After fitting the bar and drilling and chopping all the daft bits of plastic behind the bumper, I start to fit the electrics. Tap into the brake light wire, and ignition live, mount the little ECU, remove all the trim needed to run wire along the drivers side, over the collumn,along the back of the glovebox and fit CAN-BUS wires into the body control module on the passenngers A post. Wire in the fridge and permanent 12v in, fit all the fuses ,fit all the bumper and gubbins so I can refit the tail lights to test the electrics on the trailer board I had plugged in. Tail lights, check. Stop lights,check.Fog light,and fog light cut off, check. Indicators,check.  Reverse lights.....

Being an auto it wont go into reverse with the engine not running. Sitting in the car with engine running,I put it in to reverse but no lights on the board. Needed to check the reverse lights on the car but no one else around. Couldn't see any more light in the workshop with the car in reverse, so no help there. Opened the bootlid, where the lights are mounted, started the car back up and went to open the door to try and stand up with my foot on the brake to try and see the lights... can won't go into reverse with the door open... it goes back to park.. Had a thought to start the car, jam the brake pedal down, firmly apply the handbrake and climb out of the window and check that way, but had a mental picture of me being crushed against the wall... Eventually found a mirror, which I duck taped on to the wall... lights were working- it was a dodgy bulb my board.... It used to be so easy..

post-62-0-48807600-1518218258_thumb.jpg

post-62-0-16724600-1518218568_thumb.jpg

This, on the other hand, was a pleasure to do.easy hour and a half, including bumper off,  electrics,everything. Never thought I'd say that about a Land Rover product..

post-62-0-44100900-1518218501_thumb.jpg

After a week of living with two vastly different car DAB radio adaptors fitted to two vastly different cars, I'm of the opinion that such devices are well worth it if you live in an area with decent DAB reception (I do) and want to eschew the BLOODY AWFUL stations on FM.

Or do what I do Shep and drive in silence. Am I the only person on here who does that? Being in a car on my own is bliss, especially on a long journey. Can't remember the last time I put the radio on, it's all just noise to me.