The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I finally got around to doing the front disc and pad replacement I’d promised to do on daughter’s Astra. Was a bloody horrible job from start to finish. This is the first time I’ve had to work on this pile of shite and it fought me every inch of the way starting with the totally dry wheel bolts that had been air-hammered up solid. My big impact wrench had no effect and I managed to bend one of my bar wrenches and extension getting them out. The nasty little 17mm head bolts wedged solid in my impact socket so I had to drift each one out. Each one only let go with a massive ‘BANG’ as I practically lifted the car off the jack.

Everything was rusted solid. Getting the discs off the hub palms took extreme violence, had to drain gallons of fluid from the MC reservoir to accommodate the massive wind-back distance needed on these totally shagged brakes.

I used a bit of copper-slip on a cleaned-up hub and on on the wheel bolts so I could torque them up. Hateful bloody Astra....post-21508-0-02521400-1517786704_thumb.jpeg

post-21508-0-89081800-1517786747_thumb.jpeg

Squirrel2

Would a set of these work Mr Skizzer?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-S-NEW-Anex-6102-T-Slim-Offset-Screwdriver-3-set-from-JAPAN-/112718536472

Pretty sure I've seen them for sale on Amazon a bit cheaper.

Oh yes, that’s the, er, badger. Perfect, thanks!

post-4091-0-44908100-1517809284_thumb.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anex-6102T-Profile-Driver-Handle/dp/B0016VAIBI

Well I managed to complete in another bucket list enduro . The snowrun near Llandovery , Wales . 28 mile lap of the forest with gnarly ruts and roots everywhere . My class had to do 3 laps and I fecking did it ! Buzzing now .

Not so buzzing about unloading the van and washing the bike mind

The ex-HMC £160 Mondeo rolled past 200,000 miles on the way to work today.

100_5421.JPG

The trip meter is reset each time it needs oil, it does like a drink. Max of 300 miles between top ups to be on the safe side and normally takes around 0.75 pint. It's not particularly smoky but you do get the smell of burning oil after a run when you pull up at the lights.

The annoying kocking from the exhaust has stopped since I went over a speed bump in the car park at work and it is still surprisingly quiet. It did damage the plastic at the end of the rear bumper trim when it came off so I've had to cable tie the trim to stop it coming loose all the time.

100_5422.JPG

Spent £12 on it so far, new aerial and rear wiper blade and coming up to 2500 miles since I bought it, bargain.

Mine used to knock on the bumps, it was the exhaust knocking against the subframe. Tied an old pair of pants round the subframe where it banged against. Problem solved!

And it continues! Clio 172 troubles continue..

Defrosting the car today, all ok.

Start driving, heater blower stops working, dash lights all flash and clock resets.

Car drives ok. Blowers still fucked.

Burd has just got it home, now it won't start.

Anyone any idea?

So far I have

Earths

battery failing

Alternator failing

Think the starter motor pin has shat itself on the Octavia.

Got in an hour ago to go to work, churned over once, missed, horrible graunch, now it's just turning over and not catching.

RAC awaited to recover to my local garage, however this might be the end for the Octy if it's a miserable bastard of a job to do.

Well I managed to complete in another bucket list enduro . The snowrun near Llandovery , Wales . 28 mile lap of the forest with gnarly ruts and roots everywhere . My class had to do 3 laps and I fecking did it ! Buzzing now .

Not so buzzing about unloading the van and washing the bike mind

Not sure if you're lucky or unlucky, but tomorrow sounds like it will actually be pretty snowy...

I'm meant to be driving to Bridgnorth, but I may abort that plan if the white stuff is down, after my last experience of trying to drive through Shropshire in snow (an hour stuck in Shrewsbury because people cannot drive).

Think the starter motor pin has shat itself on the Octavia.

Got in an hour ago to go to work, churned over once, missed, horrible graunch, now it's just turning over and not catching.

RAC awaited to recover to my local garage, however this might be the end for the Octy if it's a miserable bastard of a job to do.

Keep trying, it will eventually engage... TADTS !

I'm going to have to invest in a couple of batteries I think.  I have a spare battery which I've been using to jump the 205, but it's slightly too big to fit in the battery tray so I have to carry it and a set of jump leads in the boot, which is a pain. 

The Audi's battery is shite but hasn't let me down yet, but the Rover 45 definitely needs a new one - if left overnight it then doesn't have enough charge to start the car from cold.  Admittedly it's a twat to start from cold due to the glow plugs being shagged, but it's not cranking the engine over fast enough to start it anyway.  The spare battery I've been using in the Pug isn't man enough to start the Rover either.  I should have kept the battery off the Mondeo when I weighed it in.

I think the clutch did a little slip last night on the gooner...

Granted I was heavily laden, and had to get from a standstill to 60+ onto the 2 lane section of the a1 on 400 yards of sliproad to avoid being wiped out by an arctic but it defiantly slipped in 3rd...

Will keep an eye on that

Temporary ARB link pin has been cobbled together out of threaded rod, bushes, washers, nuts and bolts.

ECP cancelled my order for them - fortunately I’ve ordered some on Rock Auto as that temporary fix would end up being permanent and replicated on the drive side otherwise.

post-17391-0-35255900-1517840208_thumb.jpeg

Temporary ARB link pin has been cobbled together out of threaded rod, bushes, washers, nuts and bolts.

ECP cancelled my order for them - fortunately I’ve ordered some on Rock Auto as that temporary fix would end up being permanent and replicated on the drive side otherwise.

Ingenious.

Finally got the Puma to let go a bit. Was driving less sensibly than I could have on a wet roundabout, and it got a mild-ish twitch on. To compensate for this, I had someone in an Audi A3 off from the lights this morning and had a very enjoyable blast down the back lanes to visit the PoP this afternoon.

I haven't started either Focii or the other Puma in a while, should really get round to taking spare batteries up then driving round the small holding for a bit.