The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

The Prelude of this parish is working again. To recap, the distributor borked itself just as it unexpectedly achieved a ticket from the ministry the other week. This was already the second distributor and had been kindly sent on by DW, but the bearings in its shaft shat themselves.

Luckily a bloke on eBay is breaking two JDM-yo Preludes, and a new-to-me dizzy was procured for the quite pricey sum of £60 (though still cheaper than anything else I could find). Now fitted, timed and running sweetly again.

I wonder what will break next? ABS still needs sorting. The Prelude had a little joke with me - the battery was completely flat, so put it on the charger, which caused the alarm to go off and the doors to lock with the key in the ignition. Cue search for spare key.

Managed to blag a li-ion 12v battery for the 2CV. I've been having to hand-crank the engine if I leave the 2CV parked up for more than a week. Fitted it this evening, and just tied it in with baler twine for a quick test drive. Unfortunately, I forgot about the ignition module for the points-assisted set-up I run. This was attached to the old battery clamp. I wondered what the strange burning noise was, and sure enough, the module (in a weather-proof box thankfully) was nestling on the hot exhaust. I'm an idiot. Still, easily stashed somewhere a little safer for the return drive home. 

DL9DzyCX0AE5zit.jpg

Alternator belt was shrieking, so I hope it doesn't just turn out that it hasn't been charging properly... (something else to look at, as well as giving the ol' girl another grease session).

The people you meet through gumtree...

I advertised the spare grilles from my Mondeo on gumtree for free. I just had a guy come up from Dundee for just the one of them. He's just left now.

He had his wife and kid in tow, and a dishwasher he'd just bought in the boot too. I swapped his grille over for him in the street, as his had a huge hole in it.

He then also bought the original radio I took out of my Mondeo for £20, despite me telling him it's a bit dodgy when loading CDs. Dedicated nutter. He's back on the road south again now.

post-5335-0-54915900-1507837828_thumb.jpg

Got the whole lot laid out on the drive today so I could check it in daylight.  There is some discolouration just because of the condition of the carpet originally, this isn't a problem for me as for the most part those areas are hidden when the carpet is fitted.  I've got the second coat on the last piece now (after the above photograph was taken) and when there's some space at the unit I'll use up the third can putting a third coat on all the pieces in one go, focusing mostly on the areas that are a little discoloured still.  Providing it wears okay and doesn't instantly fade again I reckon we can call this a success.  If this stuff can make a carpet as bad as this one was look something like good again, imagine how good it would make a decent quality carpet look.  Start with a cream or pale grey rug without stains and you could go for a properly lairy colour, compliment it with modern vinyl dyes and you could easily get a garish 70s interior in just about any vehicle.  The  possibilities are quite exciting and the sort of knowledge I really shouldn't have given my preference for the ludicrous.

Start with a cream or pale grey rug without stains and you could go for a properly lairy colour, compliment it with modern vinyl dyes and you could easily get a garish 70s interior in just about any vehicle.

My Mondeo has beige carpets and tan leather...

I hope you invited him here, he sounds our sort of idiot.

Idiot, you say?

Got an email from him saying the radio doesn't fit his car.

Yeah... and what do you want me to do? I deleted the ad now so he can't email me again. It's a radio from a Mondeo FFS!

Gave up trying to get the wheels off the Caddy then?

They sounded pretty stuck on there from how you described it to me though.

Today I actually gave the Mondeo a proper run on the open road instead of just pootling about in Aberdeen. I visited my parents, who stay about 30-odd miles NW of here.

It performed just as it should. It gathers speed in a very serene manner. No need to really rev it (but it bloody shifts if you do). It accelerates from about 35mph to 60mph in 4th gear quite nicely if you just gently roll on the throttle. It also cruises at 60mph in 6th at barely 2,000rpm. If I wanted to do anything I had to change down to 5th, but it was a lot of fun just doing momentum driving at 60 in 6th. :D

The 850 actually drives better with a space-saver at the front FFS. Seems the ditch-finders were even more appalling than I thought. That'll be 2 new tyres, then  :mad:

Any recommendations? I was thinking of Kumho Ecowings from Blackcircles - not really worth going for 'proper' winter tyres round here.

Sold some bits on ebay. Collection only as cant be arsed to package it then winning bidder messages me after auction ended with..

Sorry for inconvenience but is there anychance you could post I will pay for postage as in Scotland for 3 weeks at sisters as she isn t very well thanks hope this is ok

Evening Stuart sorry for the inconvenience but may I please leave the grill as not needed now as my neigbour has purchased another grill in black dissapointed is an understatement he message me tIhis evening i was buying for him as he does not have eBay account

Don t know if you got my message but my nieighbour has purchased another grill in black so he s told me if I can contact you regarding your grill that he no longer needs it I was dissapointed as I got your one for him now then he goes and changes his mind as it s no good too me as I drive a vw sorry for inconvenience stuart my appolagise

Make you own opinon wever true ill leave it up to you..

Evening Stuart sorry for the inconvenience but may I please leave the grill as not needed now as my neigbour has purchased another grill in black dissapointed is an understatement he message me tIhis evening i was buying for him as he does not have eBay account

Don t know if you got my message but my nieighbour has purchased another grill in black so he s told me if I can contact you regarding your grill that he no longer needs it I was dissapointed as I got your one for him now then he goes and changes his mind as it s no good too me as I drive a vw sorry for inconvenience stuart my appolagise

Make you own opinon wever true ill leave it up to you..

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg?u=http%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blog

Mademoiselle Peel helping me to change the van's wheels. It drives a lot better now with actual tread - barely worn Marangoni Winter tyres at £25 each fitted. I hope they're better than the awful Marangoni summer tyres.0f4a1d3bcebf08304dc8b15b1f6a3637.jpg

Any girl who can balance a litter tray on her head is a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mademoiselle Peel helping me to change the van's wheels. It drives a lot better now with actual tread - barely worn Marangoni Winter tyres at £25 each fitted. I hope they're better than the awful Marangoni summer tyres.0f4a1d3bcebf08304dc8b15b1f6a3637.jpg

The winter Maragonis I had on the Cavalier were pretty good, to be fair. They're still here...