The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

He says that you pronounce the 's' in 'Plas' as it's Belgian Flemish rather than French. I've been pronouncing it 'Vanden Plarrrrr' over the years. My dad's been pronouncing it correctly. :oops:

A bit like "Moët" in "Moët & Chandon"

Claude Moët was born in France. His name though is Dutch. Hence "t" is pronounced.

The Prelude rather unexpectedly passed its MoT (ABS light stayed out long enough to keep the tester happy - still needs one wheel speed sensor sorting).  But -- literally -- as I pulled into the MoT station, it started making a horrible graunching noise and check engine light came on.

MoT tester reckoned it sounded like it was coming from gearbox,  Got home just now and relieved to find it was actually the distributor on its last legs. I had previously swapped this for the spare one that Dollywobbler provided - so suspect there's a reason this one was spare.  Hopefully can make one good one out of the bits.

Much as I love this car, it has an annoying habit of springing something new on you the day you fix something else (like the power steering leak that sprang the day I fixed the alternator last time...)

The Prelude rather unexpectedly passed its MoT (ABS light stayed out long enough to keep the tester happy - still needs one wheel speed sensor sorting).  But -- literally -- as I pulled into the MoT station, it started making a horrible graunching noise and check engine light came on.

MoT tester reckoned it sounded like it was coming from gearbox,  Got home just now and relieved to find it was actually the distributor on its last legs. I had previously swapped this for the spare one that Dollywobbler provided - so suspect there's a reason this one was spare.  Hopefully can make one good one out of the bits.

Much as I love this car, it has an annoying habit of springing something new on you the day you fix something else (like the power steering leak that sprang the day I fixed the alternator last time...)

Glad the MOT tester got that one spectacularly wrong! Can't recall - have you done a gearbox flush on this? The S-MX is so much better after two flushes (the first was only partial).

Saw a bundle of cameras on facebook on our local selling site for £20. All advertised without chargers... One is a Canon Powershot Sx230 which seems to be a very good camera.

Message the guy, and he's in fugging didcot, 20 miles each way, and the Canon doesn't have a battery (proprietary job, not aa cells). Lost interest then, the batteries are only a fiver on ebay, but was hoping to check it worked first before buying stuff. The other 3 weren't great either so I became a time wasting wanker and said sorry but no thanks.

Check eBay for camera specific batteries. I got a spare for my HS30 for not much money.

I did get a full flush done on it a few days before you collected it from me so it *should* be quite fresh still...presumably it still slips out of lockup? 

Glad it's still going despite the issues, it was a lovely car that.

Ah yes. Now I recall. I removed one of the solenoids to see if it was gunked up, but it was ok and the fluid was still nice and fresh looking at that point.

Check eBay for camera specific batteries. I got a spare for my HS30 for not much money.

I did look,and they were only £5ish, but I didnt want to drive a 45 mile round trip, then wait a week for a battery to arrive, then charge it to find the lens was smashed or similar! Was going to use it as a video camera mainly too (which apparently it's quite good at) but then I had a look on ebay for actual video cameras and HD Canon camcorders are auctioning for £60/£70, so decided that would be the better bet! There's a nice canon one that only works when plugged in for £55 atm, so that's a route I may well go down now

today i've been to our favorite motor factors, who have sadly decided to call it a day and close the shop.

so, i've been and wished Bill and Liz all the best for their retirement, 

i've also scored some parts for the Rover 75 though someone else had beaten me to the Mini and Metro parts. :-(

bought some odds and sods, mainly workshop consumerables

post-18270-0-34864900-1506095066_thumb.jpg

but best of all, we've got this :-)

post-18270-0-00298800-1506095221_thumb.jpg

(for our younger members its a microfiche reader)

and we got these to go with it

post-18270-0-22793300-1506095118_thumb.jpg

these slides are mainly, it seems to be 80's Ford, BL/Austin Rover and Landrover. though no doubt GM/Vauxhall will be in there too!

we will give it a good home.

so, i'm sad, like really gutted if i'm honest that they are closing, and made up with the Microfiche. 

i guess that makes it a day of contrasts.....