The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Well my foster child moves out today. We go on our jollies to cornwall tomorrow.well I say moves out but.he came last friday and havnt seen him since. Police called before to say they had caught up with him and social worker will take him to a new place to run off from.

'Tristan da Cunha'

I too have only had diesel but I like them almost as much as junkman.

Problem with putting it on here is we all know about it now.

Depends what hes asking really.

Last car I bought off a decorator was full of emulsion

Yep ! Decorators can be over emulsional in certain situations.

I have a policy on my 305 van with Adrian Fux and after 20 mins listening to such gems as " insuring to save my insurance" schemes I got a quote for £420 with a 4000 mile limit which I thought was Fuxing too much. Gonna try someone else on that. Not much time to do it in.

I haven't bought any vehicle for about 17 years, coz my Plug has been a dear friend and companion and has never made me desire or lust over other vehicles, much, so it is a bit new to me. Also, the last petrol shite I had was in about 1987 so what I knew then will be of no Fuxing use now. 

Yours sincerely,

A. B.I.T. Nervous.

No, I lie. I did have a base petrol Ren 5 for a  month, absolute shite, between a Festa dizzle van, also shite, and a Pug 504,estate, tank shite.

P.S. Not selling the van, just in case anyone might have thought that, but it might be out of daily action due to a sort of green lane look happening.

I've spent about 3 days now trying to contact the seller of a properly shit old car, and no response. It's not even an ironically shit (i.e good) old car, just another (non-Vauxhall) collection of rust and despair.

Tip: Make sure the manifold gasket is OK.  

Mine is (I think) currently sans head, in order to finally free the manifold from it's rotten nuts.  Not driven it in a while (Not that I'm complaining, see: courtesy car thread)

Edit: Despite that, I think I was getting nearly 40MPG which I thought was OK.  Getting 30 out of Scary's 2.0 Picasso Harlequin..

Spent 2 days welding up the other halfs lexus rx300.

No pattern panels available so had to fab up 10" of outer sill, inner stiffening panel, then sill to floor closing panel and closing panels for both sill ends.

Why they couldn't rust proof the damn things properly in the first place I don't know.

On the plus side now have a 20l mig bottle from SGS gases, much better than the 9l hobby weld ones as it's not empty after every job

Spent 2 days welding up the other halfs lexus rx300.

No pattern panels available so had to fab up 10" of outer sill, inner stiffening panel, then sill to floor closing panel and closing panels for both sill ends.

Why they couldn't rust proof the damn things properly in the first place I don't know.

On the plus side now have a 20l mig bottle from SGS gases, much better than the 9l hobby weld ones as it's not empty after every job

Probably doesn't help that the sunroof drains empty into the sills, I found this out today after my passenger footwell filled up with water from a blocked drain.

Other related news is that the new S90 we got is still off the road after a trucker pulled over into it on the M1 in may, we are waiting for a rear door loom which is made to order apparently, part was ordered on June 15, will be available in Sweden at the end of August....

Still someone is making a fucking mint out of the crash, the Merc E220 that's our hire car is being charged to the other parties insurers at £350 a day. 

We are on the 4th Merc by the way the rest broke down, German quality at its finest, still better than the 335d M sport X drive we had for the first 2 days.

While changing the fuel pump on the 440 in the Plymouth I noticed that the freeze plugs are shot and need replacing. Ordered new brass ones but that one behind the engine mount is going to be a b1tch to do.

post-3927-0-63394300-1501806786_thumb.jpg

post-3927-0-26150400-1501809936_thumb.jpg

post-3927-0-24894000-1501809850_thumb.jpg

I'm really hoping I can drive this soon. Furthest I've driven it is 7 miles to a local car show!

I really want a 306 turbo diesel. Sadly most 306s seem to be knackered or wildly over valued now. Only the early 1.6s seem to still sell for peanuts.

Sadly my insurance has gone a bit weird, called up last night for a quote just for figures to digest and they suddenly started asking why I was making so many changes and they'd have to seek underwriter approval from now on. I, perhaps foolishly, said the reasons for the changes were down to me being a car enthusiast.

Suppose it was inevitable they'd get funny about it at some point.

Polish guy came back from checking his insurance and said £700 cash. Old Man agreed (I think my mum's told him to just take what he can).

Don't think he knows about the noisy clutch release bearing, but eh. Can't expect perfection.

I think I'm about to buy more chod, when the last thing I really need is more chod.

I promised myself hand picked, quality proven classics only henceforth. Additions to "The Collective" must add to the variety of the fleet, offering something unique that existing conveyances do not. They must also be wise investments.

So, naturally, here I am - poised to hand over £400 on a superfluous 3 box family car of which I already own 3.

Well fucking done.

Anyway, I'm about to celebrate the end of my holiday with a few scoops. The ending is as grimly predictable as a Friday night in my hometown. Only, back then, one would end up with stinky fingers around the back of "Motorspares" followed by cat and chips from the Turks. Nowadays, it's a shitty car leaving stains on my shoes, not Lucinda.

Go me.

Just asked a breaker's for a price on two seats, a carpet and a front bumper for a 15 year old Suzuki Ignis.

£150.

One hundred and fifty fucking quid.

Did you ask who the fuck else he was going to be able to sell them to?

I think Ignis spares are probably a buyers market.

For the first time this year (the knackered Rover 45 doesn't count as it was in the next town) I'm off on a collection tomorrow.  Quite childishly excited.  It's from a highly prolific shiter of exceedingly good standing so I have reasonable confidence that it will be a good one.  

It's going to be the 4th 1.4 K series I've owned and hopefully it will manage to become the first one that actually works properly.

In other positive news, the Hiace's MOT repairs have turned out to be very straightforward - like twosmoke said when he did the clutch, my mechanic (or rather, my mechanic's son who is gradually taking over the business) praised the easy simplicity of the Hiace's nether regions which mean the work it needs is straightforward and quick to do.  It's getting a nice big patch on the inner wing, new brake pipes front and rear and as a bonus, a cleanup and thorough dousing in old engine oil underneath while it's up on the ramp.  I'm intending to replace the broken rear light and mend the knackered towbar wiring this weekend, so hopefully next week a fresh MOT will be mine without too horrifying a bill.

I've only had it three weeks and even I can't believe how fast I've put things right on it.  This little purple car has been an absolute joy to work on.  I'm so glad the Autoshite forces got together to get it into my grubby little mitts, I might be the one doing the welding but it's been a real team effort to get things together so fast.

35022883264_1f826ecc39_z.jpg20170711-32 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36234908071_bb4ccb0ed7_z.jpg20170804-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Hopefully I won't embarrass myself by forgetting anyone, so here goes on the folks that have been involved in rescuing this little trooper with the supply of parts and transport and the car itself:

catsinthewelder, KruJoe, Mike_Knight, dodgytom, Beige 1100, anonymous_user, 320touring, and of course the myriad of comments and words of encouragement from the rest of you.

This is what Autoshite is about.  This is the sort of thing I joined the forum for and this is what's brought me back.