The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I appear to have won the rover 216 gsi on eBay. For the grand sum of £205.00. I think a bit of tlc and it will be for sale or raffle on here I think. Let's get it first and see.

Absolutely. Please post some pictures up, and put me down for 52 if the raffle goes ahead. I've always liked the higher spec R8s.

Now then, a buddy of mine, from Texas now living just round the corner from me (last 8 years) has just decided he would like to get his truck on the road.

He bought it brand new in 1979 in El Paso, Texas, drove it over here in 2009 when he moved to California, and it has sat in the driveway ever since. The reason.......never got round to registering it in California. Before that can happen it has to pass a smog test, and being a Texas truck most of that emissions control components have been removed or are broken............... and they all need to be on the vehicle and working.

Oh the joy.........this should be fun.........NOT.

1979 Ford Custom Cab. 400ci Big Block. 

post-3699-0-48314400-1498416547_thumb.jpg

Saw a very cheap Renault Clio GT for sale on the side of the road, thought it could be an interesting* replacement for my Ibiza. £1400 was the price. It had a dodgy repair on the rear quarter, car screamed CHECK INJECTION CHECK EMISSIONS, spanner light was on, and clutch bite was super high. Walked away very quickly from that one.

Now then, a buddy of mine, from Texas now living just round the corner from me (last 8 years) has just decided he would like to get his truck on the road.

He bought it brand new in 1979 in El Paso, Texas, drove it over here in 2009 when he moved to California, and it has sat in the driveway ever since. The reason.......never got round to registering it in California. Before that can happen it has to pass a smog test, and being a Texas truck most of that emissions control components have been removed or are broken............... and they all need to be on the vehicle and working.

CIMG1930.JPG

Is it not possible to leave it registered interstate if he has an address he could use?

It was a good day.

It was a long promised 'dad with kids' day. On recommendation from a respected forum member I decided to travel Windemere way. Kids as always choose to take the Volvo for the trip.

We parked up at the Lakeland Motor Museum. Sorry no pictures but I thought it was a nice little place with quite a few worthy exhibits. Kids were in awe of the Amphicar. Told me to get one like that.

Then I traveled on this

post-19541-0-83488200-1498416881_thumb.jpg

And changed later onto this

post-19541-0-60230600-1498416969_thumb.jpg

Beautiful views from the water

post-19541-0-58849400-1498417054_thumb.jpg

And from the land

post-19541-0-65742300-1498417089_thumb.jpg

Great 6 hours of quality time with my great kids, I really should do stuff like that with them more often.

But that's not all!!!

Came back to the car and someone parked that huge American barge next to my Swedish one!!!

So this happened next

post-19541-0-95250000-1498417310_thumb.jpg

Had a lovely chat and some car praising with Eddy. This gent is amazing and also brought me the item on the next photo. Just because he's is the star!

post-19541-0-06182200-1498417458_thumb.jpg

Apologies Eddy that I didn't buy you even a brew but kids were starting to kick off and the museum staff were probably going lock us up in the car park in few minutes.

I'll say this again then. I had a great day and met another amazing forumer.

Is it not possible to leave it registered interstate if he has an address he could use?

Not really no. He retired to Cal. and his kids and brother live here too. It's got to be registered here with Cal plates on it..........Fortunately I know a retired restoration guy with a vast knowledge of these trucks and he's agreed to help just for the grin of it.............even after he'd sucked his breath through his teeth and looked upwards.

Whilst out on a run last night, I was passed by a newish Astra police car, nothing remarkable in itself except for the trail of blue smoke and lingering smell of burning oil it left behind it.  It appeared to be heaing back to the station, probably just as well.  Oh dear, it's no good, they'll have to go back to Senators.

Guest Hooli

attachicon.gifCIMG1930.JPG

That truck has much wantz

Today's main task was to clear out the back of the Trafic ready for its MOT on Thursday, and change the nearside front tyre (which is probably illegal) for the spare (which is still just about OK).  I made the mistake of jacking it up on the jacking point.  It went CRUNCH.  Thankfully before I'd got the wheel off.  It has come away from where it joins onto the inner sill, and the outrigger has just buckled.  I'm pissed off because I hadn't spotted this bit of grot at all - the underseal on it is still intact and not bubbling, so I hadn't poked it with a screwdriver or anything.  Will be interesting* to see how much the garage will quote me to repair it. (My welding mate is out of action at the moment after getting a bit of rusty metal lodged in his left eyeball whilst grinding the CX last weekend :oops: .)

I appear to have won the rover 216 gsi on eBay. For the grand sum of £205.00. I think a bit of tlc and it will be for sale or raffle on here I think. Let's get it first and see.

Welcome to the club - had a look at the listing, you've done alright there. Prefacelift GSi is the same spec as the facelift SLi, you get electric front windows, electric adjustable heated mirrors and tilt/slide sunroof, no a/c though. If it runs OK you've done very, very well for the money. They're surprisingly nippy with the autobox. The Honda drivetrain, comfort and surprising practicality mean they're actually worth decent money in good fettle. 

Cheers Mr ghosty. I was talking to you at shitefest and I did say I liked your shape rover. I have had a 75 but I liked the auto on this one. I may still move this on and my gay pug cab and go all out and get a rover cab. There are a few about and catching my eye. I may go and pick it up later ,depending on my lads work.

BMW has decided to develop a slight weep in one if the lower coolant pipes. Doesn't bother me too much for now but it does leave a puddle under the right-hand side of the bumper now and again and needs topping up with water. This is reminiscent of my some of my Sterlings.

Gave the Sterling amother half-arsed wash yesterday. I'm off to Turkey later this week so want the Sterling to stay looking a bit presentable whilst I'm gone so it doesn't look abandoned.

My Almera N16 has an MOT booked this afternoon so I spent the morning cleaning it. Because a clean car is really going to convince an MOT to pass it, isn't it?! :-D

I have always had a tradition of cleaning my cars before an MOT. Once thing that hits me is how knackering it is hand washing a car these days. Is it my age? A few months until the big four-0 now. The fact that I also have a flat to keep tidy? It never tired me after valeting my parents' Horizon or MG Maestro 1600 for pocket money some 28 years ago! :?

Anyhoo after cleaning I just checked the minor essentials such as the lights, hazards. I can just make out the red orbs reflecting on the garage door as I checked the brake lights. Lo and behold, the main offside headlight bulb was out. :shock: "Oh shit!" However when I tried to juggle the bulb around (thank heavens it wasn't like the mark 2 Reno Megane design with what I think this Almera has a few similarities) it was working again. I have had the car for nearly 7 years and incredibly never have had to replace a bulb - unless any were replaced during a garage service.

Just took a look at my last MOT certificate. It was tested at 94,060 miles. I now have 96,390 miles. I haven't driven it much in the last 2 and a half years as I'm in walking distance of my work.

One advisory from last year: 'Track rod end ball joint dust cover deteriorated but preventing the ingress of dirt front (both). [2.2.C.1c].

Went out for a short drive. Came back in two Malaysian cars. Easiest capers ever!

19424193_10155444208578200_4078346559170

I spotted this car in 2014.

10422464_10152519510678200_3920757966547

A few people alerted me to it on The Internet, including FOAD and a friend of the seller who lives nearby. When offered it for scrap value, I could hardly say no could I?

Has a sticky front caliper, so will probably need that replacing plus pads and discs. Bit of an engine leak, but might just be cam cover gasket. Has had head gasket replaced fairly recently. Temp gauge is still in the red, possibly from that. Even engine off.

More later!

For the second time in a week I'm forced to visit Standsted services, this time desperate for a leak. The garage bogs are shut and two coach loads of OAPs are heading for the main services in front of me

Good job the tool box is in the boot.

post-7547-0-46865500-1498482467_thumb.jpg

Looking at the Pug next to me I'm wondering if they still use any steel for making them?

post-7547-0-49762800-1498482189_thumb.jpg

Yesterday, as is routine, the '99 Rover 220D was loaded with three blokes and their kit and hurtled 225 miles back to Portsmouth after a weekend home at legal* speeds, and as usual, didn't break a sweat or put a toe out of line.

Today, MrsH's '02 Golf 1.4 has thrown a wobbly, typically when I'm away from home for the week. She's limping it to twosmoke's garage for a plugging in now.

Fuck VWs man, pain in the arse. In the two years we've had the Rover, only the alternator has been replaced due to being too efficient and overcharging. We've had the Golf 4 months and already had a coil pack go, plus whatever this turns out to be.

Phil is a bloody legend for squeezing us in and has definitely secured himself a 24 pack of Jaffa Cakes for this.

LP- Cheers, I'll bear it in mind, in reality assuming this is a minor issue, the only thing we really need is the bolts securing the OSR door card to the door.

I want rid of it to be honest, not a big VW fan.

IN THIS PICTURE - AN EMOTIONLESS APPLIANCE.

ALSO, A WASHING MACHINE

225837158592c16eadff91fb7e4062b0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Further to my last post ( # 39781) The Almera passed the MOT! 8) So the bulb issue didn't reoccur. Still got the advisories on the 2 track rod end ball joint dust covers and  further ones regarding slightly corroded rear brake pipes and an oil leak.

Trip home from the MOT test centre was marred by some cocky chav in a blue mark 2 Yaris not wanting me to merge in front of him (2 lanes into 1) and nearly causing a crash. :mad: When i looked at him through the rear view mirror he proceeded to flip his arms about like a demented seal on ecstasy, fucking cretin.

Car badly needs servicing so I'll get them sorted at the same time.

Bit of an engine leak, but might just be cam cover gasket. Has had head gasket replaced fairly recently.

1.3/1.5 proton engine notorious for a leak...

Quote from POC-UK

For those that are unaware of the jumbucks head gasket leak I will try to explain what little I know.

The simple problem with the 4g15 shoc motor is this:

At the front drivers side of the cylinder barrel there are two oil galleries going up to the head.

At the head there is only one gallery.

Problem: 

too much oil pressure at this spot creates a potential leak.

Solutions:

1: When replacing the head gasket, buy a quality one that has a metal ring around these holes.

2: When torquing up the stretch bolts, Do it properly and keep checking the bolts periodically as gaskets do have a tendency to "settle". 

3: De-grease the engine bay regularly and keep an eye on what and where gunk is coming from. (A can of de-greaser and hose down works for me)

4: If you are getting a leak anywhere else around the head gasket REPLACE IT. Chances are its a dud one. Re torquing the head (stretch) bolts with these gaskets will not fix the problem.

Reality:

1: Stopping the leak is the ultimate goal but minimizing it seem to the only attainable option so far. I am yet to find a brand of gasket that has solved this issue permanently.

so there!

TS

attachicon.gifCIMG1930.JPG

Well, a quick update from yesterday before we went the bar and had an hour to have a look at what's what.

Sometime around ten years ago the cast iron heads (boat anchors) were removed and chucked in the trash. These were replaced with aluminium performance heads and at the same time the cast manifolds were replaced with 4 into 1 tube headers........well that's all good so far.........and it has oil in it..............jump leads and fresh fuel hooked up, aaaaaand........not even firing.

Next step pour a bit of gas straight down its throat.........aaaaand..........VROOM.........ran like a bag of crap but there's no knocks and no smoke, so it's worth having some money spent on it after all.

A quick vacuum test of components reveals that parts needed are :

EGR valve - diaphragm fucked

Smog pump control valve - diaphragm fucked

Backfire arrester valve - Napoleon Fallenapart

Smog pump - fucked

Smog pump drive belt - missing.............on purpose I think

Carb rebuild kit - squirt diaphragm split.......and carb full of shit

Interest level quickly rising.

post-3699-0-80789900-1498496791_thumb.jpg