The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

During the car show today, I was approached by a young guy. He had loads of questions and was really appreciative of my Volvo.

Really good chat, he seemed to know quite a bit. I mentioned that I was open to selling the car and was shocked at my my price.

It turns out he runs Volvo news page on Facebook and reckons I should be asking for twice as much. He really wanted to help me sell it and asked to share my car on his page. Fair enough I said.

He actually did make a little write up and shared pictures. Asking price £1500.

If it sells for anything over grand I would have taken him for a pint but unfortunately he can't have one for few years still.

FINALLY got the LDV pilot running. It was running for a few seconds and then cutting out, checked all the electrics, checked all the plumbing, all seemed to be correct. Tried and tried until the leak off pipes exploded and the fuel filter blew it's top seal out and sprayed diesel over everything. 

Asked on the Citroen group on facebook as the pilot has an XUD9 engine. diagnosis was immediate, the fuel lines on the pump were reversed. The engine was sucking fuel up the return pipe, pressurising it and sending it down the inlet pipe to the leak off pipes and fuel filter, causing them to explode. FFS, what an amateur mistake!

With the pipes the right way round the van sprung into life and runs lovely, although it does seem to be very smoky- but the engine hasn't been used on the road for a while so probably just needs a good drive to clear everything out.

There's a bad waterleak from the rear of the engine somewhere, but it's running and driving and that's a huge step forward I think.

Fleet reduction is going... well it's not going at all really.  Had another no-show on the Getz this evening, and had naff all interest in the Innocenti from the C&C ad.  In fact the only car I've managed to sell is the A35, which my mate who was storing it for me has taken on - he's done more to it in three weeks than I had in a year and a half, he's fitted and tidied up the replacement front wing supplied by Angrydicky, repaired the top of the front valance, done a load of welding on the front inner arches, and he's also most of the way towards returning the car to its original black.

Mazda is going in for its test on Tuesday though, and if it passes that'll be going up for sale, followed by the DAF and the Trafic (which has been doing sterling work taking crap to the dump as part of my parallel non-vehicular clearout).  The CX needs to be weldaged before I can MOT it (hopefully be getting a mate to sort it soon), and ideally I'd like to get a couple of months' use out of it at least, but that'll probably be going up for sale come late summer. 

Not sure what to do with the red Rover and the Mondeo.  Both would probably pass an MOT fairly easily (although the Rover would need to "borrow" the wheels and tyres from the RoD), but both have engine faults which render them relatively worthless even with an MOT.  I might just try flogging them as they are - although the Mondeo is probably worth £100 over the bridge so that might be the way it goes - I might even get a few extra quid for the alloys which all have good (if budget) tyres.

During the car show today, I was approached by a young guy. He had loads of questions and was really appreciative of my Volvo.

Really good chat, he seemed to know quite a bit. I mentioned that I was open to selling the car and was shocked at my my price.

It turns out he runs Volvo news page on Facebook and reckons I should be asking for twice as much. He really wanted to help me sell it and asked to share my car on his page. Fair enough I said.

He actually did make a little write up and shared pictures. Asking price £1500.

If it sells for anything over grand I would have taken him for a pint but unfortunately he can't have one for few years still.

Not trying to rain on your parade here but if it hasn't sold at your current price, how is doubling it going to get it gone? 

It's a lovely example of a rare 960 but most of the market want an estate.  

If this bloke has some well heeled buyers on his news page (Volvo News Daily?) then fair enough. I've found 95 per cent of Volvo forums and social media sites a complete waste of time. 

Makes a change from the 'experts' on the VOC telling you it's worthless, I suppose.......GLWTS and all that jizz. 

And that last bit was sincere. Please by all means tell me to fuck off. 

I've had a re evaluation on my life/shite balance and have thinned out the heritage fleet to just the 800/mgf/metro. Feel a lot happier now I'm not tripping over the things left right and centre. Anyone else ever feel the need for a hardcore thin out numbers for their own sanity/ bank balance?

I've had a re evaluation on my life/shite balance and have thinned out the heritage fleet to just the 800/mgf/metro. Feel a lot happier now I'm not tripping over the things left right and centre. Anyone else ever feel the need for a hardcore thin out numbers for their own sanity/ bank balance?

Yes, and I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons. Parting with some fairly stunning shite that I've kept for the sake of keeping.

Mates wife reversed their new Chevrolet cruze into a neighbours Laguna this morning.

post-17845-0-28964000-1494449417_thumb.jpg

post-17845-0-66209400-1494449435_thumb.jpg

She rang him and he rang me. You'd have thought she'd smashed the shit out of it the way he was flapping.

Wants me to go get a new* mirror on Friday but it looks like it'll clip back together.

His back light is an issue though as it's an estate and there just doesn't seem to be any bits for sale. There are some lights on ebay but they're about £100 and in Denmark.

Car insurance renewal letter arrived yesterday dated 13/4 stating that cover expired 11/5 (tomorrow).

Fully comp for Astra, 405 and Disco £172.25,  gave them a ring and asked about covering a 2003 Rav4 I'd been offered (see offered/wanted thread).  they could but it would be £900 as they don't really do moderns.  Asked how much I would save if I just insured the Astra as the other two are Sorned and the answer was that the 3 cars are all in the same age category 88-97 and as they have a combined value of less than £2k I am more or less paying the minimum payment for cover so just covering the Astra would also cost £172.25.  I am pleased and man maths have kicked in.

If I would have spent £1400 on buying and insuring the RAV then I could spend that money on getting the Disco and 405 back on the road.  I might have found a sump at a breaker who sounds like a cracking bloke on the phone but is really taking his time about working out what he has in stock.  Disco will cost a bit to get through a test but is probably worth it.

Might have to give up on the Austin though.

Carina E sold yesterday, in the end I got just £170 for it but even that was a bit more than I might otherwise have got because I managed to sell it direct to an exporter. It’s off to Cameroon with lots of other ‘90s Toyotas (RAV4s are apparently especially sought-after). I don’t know whether it’ll go out whole or just get stripped for parts, but at least it’ll keep being of use to somebody.

All my own cars are now fully roadworthy, and so far this week I’ve used all four of the old ones. Camry as awesome as I remembered and the 1200 and Laurel have been ideal for trundling around the countryside now we’ve suddenly got some decent weather.

I had a haircut yesterday! Had left it since last october, so it was a bit long, hadn't shaved in 4 months either. Amy was moaning, people at work were moaning (in a jovial piss taking way) so I had it cut yesterday. The lady asked what I had, and I'm always shit at remembering so just said fuck it, number 4 all over... After she ashed me 3 times if I was sure, off it all came, and it feels better. Worst case give it 2 weeks and it'll have grown

Amy doesn't like it, Charlie cried at me for half an hour afterwards, Eva pissed herself laughing and I'm getting more jovial piss taking at work. I might let it go down to my waist next time like I had at college. I pulled it off at 17, may not at 30...

I had a haircut yesterday! Had left it since last october, so it was a bit long, hadn't shaved in 4 months either. Amy was moaning, people at work were moaning (in a jovial piss taking way) so I had it cut yesterday. The lady asked what I had, and I'm always shit at remembering so just said fuck it, number 4 all over... After she ashed me 3 times if I was sure, off it all came, and it feels better. Worst case give it 2 weeks and it'll have grown

Amy doesn't like it, Charlie cried at me for half an hour afterwards, Eva pissed herself laughing and I'm getting more jovial piss taking at work. I might let it go down to my waist next time like I had at college. I pulled it off at 17, may not at 30...

I got a number 3 all over last week, which was a radical change from my usual Brylcreem heavy, side parted style, so I am in the same boat as you for the next 2 weeks.

At least I won't need a haircut for 3 months, normally it only lasts 6 weeks.

My grandad's passing means that until his house his sold a garage is now free, so the Mondy has finally got some cover for a while.

(by the way, his Pug 306 that had barely moved for two years has almost made it back to Southern Brittany via Cornwall and Plymouth with only one minor FTP - you can't beat 90's french dizzlers!). Also, it is worth about double in France what it is here....

important* update - my uncle has got the 306 Sedan through a French MOT, replaced the windscreen for free under insurance (was delaminating) swapped the lights for LHD ones and I think it will shortly be on French plates. It lives on! (as his main car too).

Pug 306 - gr9 for export m8.