The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

"unexpected collection event in baggage area"

Not me though, my brother in law asked me to run him a couple of hours down to the coast so he could ride back on his newly aquired.....uh....two wheeled thing. I know zip about bikes.  Its not the Akira crotch-rocket type, more like a Hardley Dangerous, but some other brand. Big V-twin, massive unweildy looking thing....

Edit, its a Suzuki Intruder. Sounds a bit gay if you ask me.

looks like this....

xl%2B2004_suzuki_intruder_800_volusia%2B

Even though this turned out to be a disaster, that I didn't do anything with it since it failed it's MOT in April last year and that I really[i/] wanted to earn the hero status dollywobbler mentioned, today, I sold my XM Break. I had a few emails from people only wanting the engine but I thought that would just be a waste but the guy that bought it says that he wants to put 18 inch wheels on it at take it to a big French car show so there's hope for the old girl yet. BIG SAD FACE regardless.

32688433804_7592a3df0d_k.jpg

:( by MattLikesCars, on Flickr

Me and a friend took the Puma down to the rebuilt Haynes Car Museum today, followed by a decent carvery a couple of miles away at a pub with a beige Austin Ambassador out back.  Marvellous day out.

Sadly, on the down side, the Puma spoiled its excellent reliability record by bursting a power steering pipe, fortunately a large bottle was procured from a petrol station and a few topups saw it home in one piece but it's quite a big leak so that's going into the garage this week if it can be fitted in.  It did however make a decision for me, it's going to be up for sale shortly as I need the money.  I'll get the little bit of welding done and a fresh MOT on it, proper sale thread to follow once I have some decent pictures.

Off to pick up the Lexus which has been lying in Ayrshire for over a month. It's like a mini collection. Will it start and make it back to Fife?

Of course it started. It loosened up after a few miles and wafted up the road at 70mph* in such comfort that I remember why I love it.

I have been thinking of getting a new steed as i passed my smart car onto mr cav!

Options are and bini cooper s or an mx5 these can be had for under 1500 even lucky under a thousand!

Waiting til the Mrs Astra is fixed then I can sell my 5 series pocket some cash and get myself a new toy!!

i was down at Driftland today for a 'Show N Shine' event with my Abarth (had it on show, yeah i'm scene prick, etc, etc) and it turned out that the it was the first round of the 'Scottish Drift Championship'...

I'll be honest and say, I like to watch drifting, and yes i'd do it if I had the time & commitments to do so as a hobby, but all I seen today was the deathbed for E36 BMW's. All car's bar 4 were E36 chassis of all types. All in shagged out condition and most sporting 6-pot BMW engines. I know that the E36 is the most popular choice for amateur drifting in the UK and hence why prices for any E36 chassis'd car is silly high no matter what engine is in it (Engine swaps Yo) but this took the biscuit...

post-19988-0-87482000-1489950071_thumb.jpg

Car's on offer, all skabby, shagged out & questionable condition. All of them haven't had an MOT since 2016 (bar one)...admittedly offered to be used a Drift cars, but crazy money!

And this one made me sad...

post-19988-0-42941600-1489950458_thumb.jpg

'Base spec' 316i with lower mileage than mine & Supernauts 316 'Shed', it was parked near the workshop of a place than prep's cars for drifting. Can no doubt guess it's fate.

In light of all this, It's made me more determined to keep our's as original as possible! 

Well I did my first timecard enduro but times out after 3 laps ( 45 mins late ) but gave it a good try and it was a real grind with many experts not finishing on time either . Glad to have done it and next one already booked .

Also picked up my 10 pound vanguard bulkhead for my new van on the way home too 😄

Impressed everyone at the Kent meet with a view of the Honda's engine, and the lack of oil within. Just on the bottom of the dipstick! May need to check it more often. Not sure I have checked it since the trip to York back in Feb. Still, that's rather alarming consumption for a 'modern.'

Modern cars do for some reason, you think it would affect their emissions rating though. My merc doesn't use a drop from year to year though at 23yrs old.

I've been storing the Dolomite in the inlaws garage since before Christmas but the mot is due to end in a couple of weeks so i decided to get it home today, the battery has completely died now and won't charge up so thankfully my new battery pack came into use and paid for itself. I did manage to get a photo of thr two cars together for the first time though.

38e809e294989c1d31040de7fbe00b8a.jpg

b21a6aef5225b84a239bbd8f3730aeca.jpg

0687b8490c447a09288dfce6d02148f9.jpg

Afterwards i took it to Felixstowe for a good run, after fighting with the new baby car seat (they are the work of the devil).

c10156afb26043a98efe60b5d560f861.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-AUSTIN-ALLEGRO-SPEC-LE-GREEN-1-5-/201859341491

s-l1600.jpg

I have a very keen person coming to view the Renault.  Like, turning up with a trailer levels of keen.  I've been idly browsing eBay and that ^ fell onto my Watch list and won't come off.  Send help.  I might just go and have a look, it's only 2 hours away.

Got very little shite-related stuff done this weekend, due to a combination of crap weather and a bad case of CBA.  I did get the DAF up on the ramps and have a poke around to see how it's survived its first winter outdoors in probably ever (although admittedly parts of Stondon weren't much better than outdoors).  Not too badly is the verdict - underside is as solid as I remember it, and the only grot I found was a tiny bit at the very front of each outer sill - I'm not even sure it'd fail an MOT as it's not within 30cm of suspension or seatbelt mountings, but I need to get it patched up anyway really as rust holes rarely improve if left unattended.

Then I swapped the wheels on the Rover of Doom back to front - it's had the snow tyres on the front over the winter (turned out they weren't needed), but I've put them on the back now that winter is theoretically behind us, as they seem to get chewed up rather quickly by the L-series torque.  I think I need to have a play with the Roverron tuning box though and turn the fuelling back up - I lost a traffic light GP this evening to a fugging Zafira - only narrowly, but still. :mad:

Smart Roadster is going into my local friendly garage tomorrow. 3 engine mounts and 2 reluctor rings to fit. 2 mounts are definitely shot and ripped to pieces, couldn't see the third but no doubt crooked. ABS kicks in at low speed and the rings look decidedly crusty. Hopefully that'll fix the banging I get when driving at >60mph.

Also got them to do an inspection service (I've done oil+filter previously) for a professional eye to cast over it to see if there is anything that I've missed on it. Hopefully nothing major or too much else will come back!

Due to impending and probably ill fated attempts at old-chod-save-age, involving Zintec and a cheap mig, I find myself putting unusual search clues into ebay. And coming up with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spot-Weld-Welding-Gun-ARC-Welder-7-Spare-carbon-electrodes-Electrode-Stick-/141907045438?hash=item210a51ac3e:m:mDkCCL1b2DpjL4Z4KHO9qdw

Now, I know they only work with an arc welder (got a cheap one of those too - just as hopeless with it as I am with a mig) but I can't believe that lots of chodbotherers aren't raving about this, what with arc welders being cheap and this little accessory allowing spot welds to be made from one side only, all for only* an additional spend of £42.

So, has anyone got experience of these? What's the down side?