The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That's my mates A610 pictured above. I need to start using mine more and meet up with him again.

IMG_20150504_142836024.jpg

In other news I've sold another Alpine GTA, this ones going to Spain (the last one went to Germany). Shame they are going abroad but I guess with the exchange rate in their favour it's going to be more common. I spoke to a trader last week and he said recently he's been selling all sorts to Europe which he hasn't done for a long time. 

Anyone any tips re how to get a refund off an ebay seller?

I paid for a new gear gaiter (with paypal) for the Toledo at the end Sept. The one sent was wrond and did not have elastic to go over the gearknob. It appears the seller thought it was like a mk4 setup.

Despite repeated messages and pics they have fucked me about and nothing has been resolved.

I'm looking as to how to open a case but it seems that ebay wants me to send it back at my cost?

I have requested to return.

I recently requested a return on Ebay and was sent a Royal Mail posting label to print off, not at my expense. Is it the seller or Ebay you asked?

I recently requested a return on Ebay and was sent a Royal Mail posting label to print off, not at my expense. Is it the seller or Ebay you asked?

I requested a return via ebay. the seller has been useless thus far.

When I opened the return request I had to choose a postage option.

the process is fairly unfathomable if using the app.

Was round at the parents today to check the house over while they are away and took the Lexus out for a drive, since I've been using the Abarth for the past month since I got it back. Forgot how smooth and care free it is to drive! 

Had to laugh though, I said to my dad "Feel free to use it if you want", as a thanks for taking it for the MOT for me and letting me keep it there until I lay it up for the winter. (more on that soon). I expected him to maybe use it once or twice, but he's added about 500 miles onto it

Did he have to go and lay down at someone's door?

This weekend I have been mostly trying to fit new glow plugs to the Rover of Doom.  What an absolute fiddly arsehole of a job.  Coolant pipes, injector pipes, wiring loom and bits of sticking-out engine here there and everybloodywhere.  I eventually managed to get two of the three plugs replaced, after a lot of swearing and dropping tools into inaccessible bits of engine bay - the third one ain't going to come out easily, it broke in two when I was trying to get the wire off but the bottom half is in there bloody tight.  There's less than an inch of clearance 'twixt the plug and the coolant pipe that goes into the cylinder head, so I couldn't get a ratchet in there.  Because of the angle I couldn't get at it with a spanner from above; I could just about fiddle a spanner onto the plug from underneath, but then I only had the strength of two fingers to try and turn it with, and that wasn't going to happen.

I had to make up a new wire to run from the feed wire on the centre plug to the other plug I did manage to replace - the original harness had three terminals (because three glowplugs), I didn't want to leave a fairly thick live wire dangling against the head obviously, and the whole thing was too thick and inflexible for me to be able to fit two terminals on one plug.  Fortunately I had a stock of ring terminals the right size, and plenty of odd bits of wire.  The problem came when trying to fit the nut that holds the wire in place onto the end plug - after eventually getting the nut into place after 20 minutes of fiddling, swearing and dropping it on the floor, the only way I could do it up was with an 8mm socket on the end of a 12" extension bar with my 3/4" drive ratchet on the end.  Obviously this was using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, and gave me absolutely no idea how tight I was doing the nut up, so the first I knew I was overtightening it was when the inner section of the glow plug broke off and came out.  So I then had to get that glow plug out, put in the one that was supposed to be going in the other side, and then redo the process, this time being very careful not to overtighten the nut.

So it now has two new glowplugs and one completely broken one.  I'm going to wait and see how it copes on cold mornings with just the two - I've reached the conclusion that to get the third one out I will have to unbolt the coolant inlet from the head, which is not a route I want to go down if I can help it.

I also got the 121 up on the ramps and had a good poke around - the good news is it isn't as bad as I thought, some of the soft areas on the floorpans just turned out to be peeling underseal.  It will need a small patch on the nearside sill though at least.  And a new exhaust section, although they're only about 25 quid off ebay.

Then, as it was a nice day, I took the Spacy for a quick run.  As always, it started almost before I'd pressed the starter button, despite being sat out untouched in the cold and pissing rain for almost a month.  I love old Hondas.

So discovery 3 2006 at work with the 2.7 dizzler donk in.

We got it cheap as it's done 230k .

As always been a bit hesitant.

Dropped it off at the local garage, yeah mate both egr valves. You sure yeah. Defo there both sticking. Ok how much. £240 each. Okay mate order them in.

So I picked it up and brought it back as they wasn't coming in for two days. Had a quick google as I was thinking about just blanking them off.

Couldn't find them, had a look online, looked at our discovery.

There already blanked off.

Rang garage, you know these egr valves you checked, yeah, well they ain't fitted, there blanked off.

Phone went quiet for ages while he thought of an excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Chester castle this am...

Ah, FFS I managed to miss this (show) again. I was sat round bored most of yesterday and looking for something to do to ignore my hangover, too. 

Those badly translated handbooks you get with some cheap electronics are hilarious. "Push the button of power very surely, and with ponderance and persistance. When the indicator lamp is in the happy place, proceed of the bluetooth marriage".

Those badly translated handbooks you get with some cheap electronics are hilarious. "Push the button of power very surely, and with ponderance and persistance. When the indicator lamp is in the happy place, proceed of the bluetooth marriage".

have you got the dollywobbler subtitles on again?

LT on a 98S is a Merc Sprinter with a VW engine. Don't know what the engines are like, but an S-plate Sprinter doesn't appeal.

Oops, sorry, thinking of the previous shape. Disregard everything I said except for about the Brickyard, that still applies

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

With the river off to a good home and the modern flecked off I bought a crv for winter use. Nice and easy for the missus to get into and a decent little motor apart from one key and central locking not working. Any how after a week or two of driving it I don't particularly like it and much prefer my comfy auto hiace. So today I went and swapped the hiace for another hiace but one in 4wd flavour. Looking forward to 20 mpg.

Today the Land Rover of 50mph was finally dropped off to the garage in Bury St Edmunds, got a lift off the country lady who's husband owned the dealership I dropped car to and who's skirt was a little on the short side and my eyes were slightly occupied.

Upon arriving on the other side of Bury St Edmunds I went off to pick up a 4.0 Jaguar XKR for a 160-mile trip up to Cold Meece. I've driven V8s before but this was a right laugh, burbling V8 sound and went like shite down the sheer drop side of a mountain.

Sadly, comfort wasn't high on thier list when they built this car (well, it is sports car after all). At first I felt a bit out of my league driving this thing but I soon got used to it, handling felt fairly predictable. I loved watching people trying to keep up with me :lol:

Now I'm down to a Peugeot van :|

Well, the MG ZT has successfully done the road trip from Scotland to Lytham to the ' pre booked'  MOT after the cam belts change. Sadly it failed the MOT due to corrosion in the rear suspension mountings. The local friendly garage has been tasked with the two smallish areas of welding needed. Hopefully a re test tomorrow will result in a pass. Fingers crossed. I do hope so... I love this car!

Spent sometime looking at extra storage options, including buying a very cheap metal shed from Argos.  In the end I came to the conclusion that a sort out of the garage would be better.  I've ended up with a 2ft run down one side to access the washer and fridge freezer.

When first built I could do this:

post-17396-0-38581700-1477338575_thumb.jpg

post-17396-0-07488200-1477338733_thumb.jpg

Anyway, that was before the previous garages content was emptied into it.

Hopefully one of these:

Tyre_racking_single_sided.jpg

Will help me get a start on fitting another car back in there.

Any ideas on how to store doors and bonnets and tailgates without taking up tons of space?

Today the Land Rover of 50mph was finally dropped off to the garage in Bury St Edmunds, got a lift off the country lady who's husband owned the dealership I dropped car to and who's skirt was a little on the short side and my eyes were slightly occupied.

Upon arriving on the other side of Bury St Edmunds I went off to pick up a 4.0 Jaguar XKR for a 160-mile trip up to Cold Meece. I've driven V8s before but this was a right laugh, burbling V8 sound and went like shite down the sheer drop side of a mountain.

Sadly, comfort wasn't high on thier list when they built this car (well, it is sports car after all). At first I felt a bit out of my league driving this thing but I soon got used to it, handling felt fairly predictable. I loved watching people trying to keep up with me :lol:

Now I'm down to a Peugeot van :|

Cold Meece Stoke? Should have called in for a brew.....

I have completed the Jumbuck's head gasket replacement, I reckon it is probably the most work I have done for the least miles driven, I've put it up for sale at £1900 ono which granted is a fair bit more than I paid for it, but reflects the amount of work I have put in and the current market for these things, I expect it's a bit rich for shitests, but just in case, here is what I have done since I bought it earlier in the year;

Mot until 26/09/2017
72k on the clock

New Battery
Headgasket replaced as of today (advised on mot as "oil leak")
Cambelt & Waterpump, New pads, rear wheel cylinders, exhaust and Antifreeze changed at 68k/ April '16
Clutch slave cylinder changed July '16
4 New tyres on OZ alloys (covered 4k miles)
Original steel wheels & trims supplied
Pioneer double din USB/Bluetooth Stereo
Fibreglass top & Bed bars
Towbar
Both Keys
Bed liner

Lovely truck generally, but a crease in the bottom of the driver's door/quarter lets it down a bit.

post-2711-0-34910400-1477342803_thumb.jpg

I have completed the Jumbuck's head gasket replacement, I reckon it is probably the most work I have done for the least miles driven, I've put it up for sale at £1900 ono which granted is a fair bit more than I paid for it, but reflects the amount of work I have put in and the current market for these things, I expect it's a bit rich for shitests, but just in case, here is what I have done since I bought it earlier in the year;

Mot until 26/09/2017

72k on the clock

New Battery

Headgasket replaced as of today (advised on mot as "oil leak")

Cambelt & Waterpump, New pads, rear wheel cylinders, exhaust and Antifreeze changed at 68k/ April '16

Clutch slave cylinder changed July '16

4 New tyres on OZ alloys (covered 4k miles)

Original steel wheels & trims supplied

Pioneer double din USB/Bluetooth Stereo

Fibreglass top & Bed bars

Towbar

Both Keys

Bed liner

Lovely truck generally, but a crease in the bottom of the driver's door/quarter lets it down a bit.

attachicon.gif20160727_165020.jpg

I have sat in this vehicle and made brum brum noises.

It is very good

sincerely

dugong