The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

First tank of pez has been consumed by the ex Jerzy Woking Mercedes W124 300e.  To call it a 'combined cycle' would be pushing it a bit, the odd short journey but generally A and B roads.

29mpg.

Once up to speed, I get the feeling it's probably doing about 32/33.  It's just getting there that causes the drink to flow.

Pretty pleased all told.  I'm no hypermiler, but I'd like to see 30 out of this tank.  We'll see!

Not a bad figure, much better than you'd imagined IIRC from the for sale thread.

I collected my new winter beater today, an XJ6 3.2 Sport. Text book purchase i.e. bought blind off gumtree in a rush, but I think I've got away with it. Has the odd clonk from the front, despite me asking the seller if it has any untoward noises, but it did the 70 miles home without a FTP or warning light appearing. Despite being MoTd every year it's only done 150 miles in the last five years, so I'm hoping the noises might go away with a bit of regular use. Plus it was cheap!

attachicon.gif20161019_163808.jpg

There's some history with it including the original bill of sale from Stratstone of Mayfair. 34 grand yet aircon was still an option at £1,700, with the auto 'box an 800 quid option. Flippin' Jaguar mingebags!

Nicely understated interior, although the leather seats aren't heated so it fails that winter beater test.

attachicon.gif20161019_163901.jpg

Plan is to just run it for 6 months and sell on to mitigate wallet pain.

That looks a beauty.

Clonking from the front? shock top bushes are common, dead easy to change & cheap genuine bits too. As long as they are the same as late XJ40s which I think they are.

Missing/failed retaining clip allowed a brake pad to do this. Scary stuff.

d1870b43488b7bc40d800d3c45982460.jpg

And with that, Pugsley is relegated to project car for the time being.

Ouch, that could have been nasty.

Bendix front calipers I assume? The pad retaining bar is only held in with a small clip which tends to get deformed/loose after removing it to change pads. If you refit it like that, eventually it falls out, then the retaining bar slowly works its way loose and when it's come out far enough, the pad makes a bid for freedom.

205/306/309 GTi rear calipers do the same thing, only with 15" wheels there's enough clearance for the pad to completely fall out. If you don't hear the clonk as it does so, the first you know about it is when you put your foot on the brake and the pedal goes to the floor - GR8 fun when you're closing on a line of stationary traffic at a fair rate.

The rally boys replace the clip with lockwire to prevent it happening. Bit late for you though, but worth knowing for when you fix it.

Bendix front calipers I assume? The pad retaining bar is only held in with a small clip which tends to get deformed/loose after removing it to change pads. If you refit it like that, eventually it falls out, then the retaining bar slowly works its way loose and when it's come out far enough, the pad makes a bid for freedom.

205/306/309 GTi rear calipers do the same thing, only with 15" wheels there's enough clearance for the pad to completely fall out. If you don't hear the clonk as it does so, the first you know about it is when you put your foot on the brake and the pedal goes to the floor - GR8 fun when you're closing on a line of stationary traffic at a fair rate.

The rally boys replace the clip with lockwire to prevent it happening. Bit late for you though, but worth knowing for when you fix it.

Thankfully it happened a couple of miles from home, so it was a case of abandon car and get a bus the rest of the way with rum and chinese in tow to deal with today. The wheel didn't actually go until it was safely in a layby, but getting it there with absolutely no brakes was fun. Apparently crawling along the road with your hazards on is the universal signal for "please follow me as closely as possible, I'm going 10mph just for fun".

...turfed passenger out( dippy 20 year rock chick from LA)...

Out of interest, what was her name/band name? If indeed she is of musical persuasion...

The lack of a spare wheel bugs me too. GF had a blow out on the M40 last year in her first current shape Fiesta, and I know she would have tried to change it if she could because she's not afraid of getting a bit dirty if necessary. Instead it was a 2 hour wait for Breakdown in the middle of winter in a poorly lit part of Oxfordshire which she didn't know a great deal about. The only people for whom a lack of spare wheel benefits are Holts, breakdown companies and tyre manufacturers...

Does remind me, I did say I'd investigate seeing if I could get a spare for her newer Fiesta (shouldn't be too difficult, there aren't any big discs to circumvent).

Out of interest, what was her name/band name? If indeed she is of musical persuasion...

The lack of a spare wheel bugs me too. GF had a blow out on the M40 last year in her first current shape Fiesta, and I know she would have tried to change it if she could because she's not afraid of getting a bit dirty if necessary. Instead it was a 2 hour wait for Breakdown in the middle of winter in a poorly lit part of Oxfordshire which she didn't know a great deal about. The only people for whom a lack of spare wheel benefits are Holts, breakdown companies and tyre manufacturers...

Does remind me, I did say I'd investigate seeing if I could get a spare for her newer Fiesta (shouldn't be too difficult, there aren't any big discs to circumvent).

You should have posted her predicament up here, I'm within 5 miles of the M40 in Oxfordshire, could have run her a cup of tea up at least

I'd best check the Xantia, its pads are fitted in the same fashion and one retaining clip is missing...

Reb - you've not kissed bub recently have you?

That looks a beauty.

Clonking from the front? shock top bushes are common, dead easy to change & cheap genuine bits too. As long as they are the same as late XJ40s which I think they are.

Thanks, that's useful to know.  I want to keep spend on this to a minimum so I'll have a go myself if it's easy.

Within hours of collecting it developed a new fault, the boot now longer opens.  Won't open with the key and I've ponced about with the remote release/valet button but to no effect.  I'll leave that job for the weekend when I have a proper look over it.

Princess news

I don't understand electricity.  The headlights are no longer earthing through the throttle cable, which is great news.  They've been given new earth points and checked and sorted too, thank you Mike and Chompy.  We had the car running to check all the things and all the things were good so an attempt was made to reinstall the dashboard which is a fairly simple affair and that's where things got odd.

There's just three colour coded mono-directional plugs and one blue wire to connect the dashboard along with several screws to hold it in place.  After plugging everything in the handbrake light was on.  Normally that's not odd, because normally it does that when the ignition is on.  Thing is, the key wasn't even in the ignition.  Release the handbrake and the light goes out so it's not the switch stuck on (even though it shouldn't illuminate with the ignition off anyway).  Tried to start the car to see what happens and nothing, dead, zero.  The handbrake light goes out when you turn ignition to start the car but nothing else happens.  The interior light has also stopped working in any setting, the bulb is still fine.  No fuses blown.

Looks like the electrical gremlins have come out in force.  We suspect a short or bad earth somewhere, possibly even a burnt out wire.  The visible wiring bodge was limited to a Nissan flasher unit that needs replacing and a loose black wire that was just tidying all the random loom bits together.  The radio and speaker wiring is surprisingly tidy once untangled so the fears of epic bodge were allayed.

It's great this project car malarky.  You go from fully functional with niggles to utterly dead for no reason in the space of 24 hours, often less!

Fitted the 'Ebay bargain' Dunlop winter tyres to the Blingo this afternoon. Well, I fitted one then encountered FAIL, so Tame Mechanic sorted the others...

Maybe a smudge early, but the summer Michelins were down to 3mm - which is replacement point for me - and had really 'gone off' recently, so they'll be replaced before the spring.

Already the car feels better with some decent rubber on the front end. Further report when it gets proper cold.

You should have posted her predicament up here, I'm within 5 miles of the M40 in Oxfordshire, could have run her a cup of tea up at least

Cheers, I would have been out as soon as I'd known too (and did when she had her prang), but it was before we started dating, alas.