The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My sister's 06 Ford Focus has just snapped its timing belt, had it less than 12 months from a trader and 'had' the belt done for them getting it, the mechanic who has looked at it today says the belt is definitely more than 12 months old.

I have told her to call the garage they got the car from, anyone care to guess her chances of a satisfactory outcome?

Quoted £500 for a new belt and sorted (I guess that is sorting any valves that may have changed shape too)

At that cost with the MOT about to arrive also it might be worth throwing the towel in with it, shame I am not closer.

Christ. MB needs to get off Facebook ASAP, or at the least stop taking troll comments to heart.

I had a look at that page, it's marked with a tick to say it's 'official', but it also says it's a fan page - I'm a bit suspect as a result. I can't think that he'd really be arsed with responding?

He is known to be on twitter as @mikebrewer, that seems to be a genuine page.

My sister's 06 Ford Focus has just snapped its timing belt, had it less than 12 months from a trader and 'had' the belt done for them getting it, the mechanic who has looked at it today says the belt is definitely more than 12 months old.

I have told her to call the garage they got the car from, anyone care to guess her chances of a satisfactory outcome?

Quoted £500 for a new belt and sorted (I guess that is sorting any valves that may have changed shape too)

At that cost with the MOT about to arrive also it might be worth throwing the towel in with it, shame I am not closer.

To swap with an exchange cylinder head with valves off a donor engine, new belts, tensioner and water pump while they're at it, inclusive of labour. I paid about 350 for that on a Focus a few years back, at mates rates so assuming the quote is for the same 'stuff', I'd say 500 sounds about right.  Depending on the value of the car and whatever might be needed for the MOT, it might not be economical if it's coming out of her own pocket. 

Re: the trader, if they don't play ball and it can be proven they didn't do the belt, it might be possible to pursue through small claims court or whatever they call it these days. 

To swap with an exchange cylinder head with valves off a donor engine, new belts, tensioner and water pump while they're at it, inclusive of labour. I paid about 350 for that on a Focus a few years back, at mates rates so assuming the quote is for the same 'stuff', I'd say 500 sounds about right.  Depending on the value of the car and whatever might be needed for the MOT, it might not be economical if it's coming out of her own pocket. 

Re: the trader, if they don't play ball and it can be proven they didn't do the belt, it might be possible to pursue through small claims court or whatever they call it these days. 

Pretty much exactly what I thought.

They may have changed the belt but neglected the tensioners.

I think the guy who has looked at it 'very strongly' doubts it was done!

I had a look at that page, it's marked with a tick to say it's 'official', but it also says it's a fan page - I'm a bit suspect as a result. I can't think that he'd really be arsed with responding?

He is known to be on twitter as @mikebrewer, that seems to be a genuine page.

They've missed the s off the end too. 'Wheeler Dealer'?

Collected my 205 automatic from the garage today.  It drove fine after its 4 weeks stay having its head gasket fixed, the slow turnaround because it was at a main dealer but charged at staff rates (son works there) and thus subject to full paying customers taking priority.  They've done a good job, though my final judgement will await putting more miles under its belt.  Today, just 65 miles covered.  No steam, no bubbles, oil so clean it's hard to see on the dipstick, no water level warning lights.......but the 'catalyst/diagnostic' warning light did come on several times for a few seconds, as it has done since I bought the car in April 2015.  It runs very cleanly according to the emissions test, so I'll put this down to Frenchness. I'm happy  :-D .

Went to fuel the Xantia and found the filler cap missing, which means I've left it somewhere from the last fuel stop.

Buggeration.

On the plus side, nipped to the local breakers and got one off a 306 for £free. It must be the only yard in the area that's filling up with cars again too.

Just noticed what I thought was a big fuck off scuff on the rear bumper of my hire car - turns out there's some weird clear plastic film on the bumper which is now dirty as fuck after 1100 miles - dirt actually under the film

Wonder if it was left on the bumper after the thorough* PDI I'm sure a rental car gets (it's only got 2700 miles on the clock and I've done 1100 of those) or whether it's some attempt to protect the bumper from scratches, looks awful anyway and I'm sure they'll try to charge me for "damage"

Just been to see a 2013/13-plate VDL Futura 2. One fleet owner from new, 170k on the clock... and still on it's factory filters. I think we'll be passing on that.

On the subject of coaches, I spent all weekend on Carlisle rail replacement with our 60-plate Bova Futura, 6-speed auto, DAF 9.6-litre 365bhp engine. 1400 miles covered at 12.6mpg, which was fairly reasonable considering it was fully loaded most of the time at the EML is on due to emissions equipment issues. 62mph = 1000rpm.

We've recently acquired a 10-plate Neoplan Tourliner with a 12-speed auto and a 400bhp MAN 10.5-litre engine. Out of interest, I ran the figures. On a 5 day tour with the same driver, half loaded with light luggage on a combined cycle it averaged... 7.2mpg. I don't think it'll stay long.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My Astra has been pressed into service to help my mum out for a bit. She has an 06 cmax 1.6 which someone drove into on the motorway and then pushed her into the car in front. It looks like new bumpers and lights required plus the wheel well needs straightening. Her insurance company has written it off and paid her £2000 less £180 to buy the car back. A one man bodyshop place nearby, who they've used before, is going to fix it up for £800 but he can't do it for 8 weeks. It's worth fixing I think because it's been looked after, new timing belt etc.

My Astra started first turn after a 4 month lay up, albeit with the required glow plugs on 5 times. It sounds a rough old beast when first started but soon settles down. My mum said it feels 'very nice to drive'. I think the easy controls and power steering help.

Just noticed what I thought was a big fuck off scuff on the rear bumper of my hire car - turns out there's some weird clear plastic film on the bumper which is now dirty as fuck after 1100 miles - dirt actually under the film

Wonder if it was left on the bumper after the thorough* PDI I'm sure a rental car gets (it's only got 2700 miles on the clock and I've done 1100 of those) or whether it's some attempt to protect the bumper from scratches, looks awful anyway and I'm sure they'll try to charge me for "damage"

I wouldn't be able to resist taking it off.

jaguar failed the MOT.

now't especially worrying, headlamp aim all too pot, 2 back axil damper bushes kippered and a bearing in the back hub to wishbone got too much play in it.

though it's never passed at the first attempt, and following on from the Mini debacle (which still isn't tested) means we could be all out of legal cars before too long, if this trend continues.

anyone fancy a slightly broken Jaguar?

how about a broken Mini?

no, i didn't think so.......

Been worrying about a slight knock from my suspension for a couple of weeks, and planned to get it looked at at the end of the week. Interim solution: turn up the music.

The solution became unviable when the front nearside spring coil broke this afternoon about 3 roads from home. Not sure if related or not, but I guess I'll find out the hard way soon enough.

Rather glad I let the train take the strain when I went to Westest Wales this past weekend...

Just been to see a 2013/13-plate VDL Futura 2. One fleet owner from new, 170k on the clock... and still on it's factory filters. I think we'll be passing on that.

On the subject of coaches, I spent all weekend on Carlisle rail replacement with our 60-plate Bova Futura, 6-speed auto, DAF 9.6-litre 365bhp engine. 1400 miles covered at 12.6mpg, which was fairly reasonable considering it was fully loaded most of the time at the EML is on due to emissions equipment issues. 62mph = 1000rpm.

We've recently acquired a 10-plate Neoplan Tourliner with a 12-speed auto and a 400bhp MAN 10.5-litre engine. Out of interest, I ran the figures. On a 5 day tour with the same driver, half loaded with light luggage on a combined cycle it averaged... 7.2mpg. I don't think it'll stay long.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I do like a Neoplan. Remember mid early to mid 90's a company called Travelguide that ran them to Spain, Estartit etc.

Rover 25 diesel is back up and running again.

In a previous episode, it snapped its v-belt, causing me to lose the PAS and brake servo on an NSL road.

GcMAIQW.jpg

A new belt was procured; this was in fact the second one after my car, a non A/C car, was built after MGR standardised the belt size so every L Series 25 used the A/C belt regardless of whether or not magic fridge was fitted or not. In true baffling MGR fashion, the longer belt was cheaper and netted me a £1.50 discount when exchanged.

9PL7ByI.jpg

It was slashing down yesterday so Jozza and I stuffed it in the unit for fettling.

JaAZkFd.jpg

Jozza did most of the fitting because he has slightly better hand / eye co-ordination than me.

ubr2QV8.jpg

I reconnected the MAF for my test drive. Although it looks like toilet I can't see it needing much for a test.

It'll then be up for sale. If anyone wants a lard powered R3 they wouldn't be afraid to leave anywhere, get in touch.

QSTnDi9.jpg

I also stuffed a head unit in the Laguna. Can't recommend the mechless Clarion FZ102E enough, the lighting's close enough to be factory.

Guest Hooli

I do like a Neoplan. Remember mid early to mid 90's a company called Travelguide that ran them to Spain, Estartit etc.

I used to like driving Merc Neoplans, not as much as Scania Isisars though.